Old F1 Film

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Saw the following film this morning, posted in a email from Classic Motorsports. It is a 70mm film of the 1960 Monaco Grand Prix that has been digitized with enhanced video quality.

The sound track seems fake, like dubbed in sound bites. But entertaining nonetheless. I especially liked the helicopter shots. They showed some aspects of the Monaco circuit that I've never seen on any of the modern coverages.

A couple years ago I came across a whole series of similar videos being replayed on a cable TV channel. Mostly famous European races of various types (not just F1) from the same era. Great original footage of classic racers in action on old circuits. Many of them were street races that went through small villages and along mountain roads without any barriers. People and animals along the side (and in the road in some cases). What a time to be in motorsports, unlike anything today.

Very cool. Monaco looked a lot different back then. The course itself was a lot different as well. Some parts the same but many changed. It looks to me like they may have been driving through what is now the pits, after they went around the right hand hairpin. I think that was the area that is now La Rascasse, but I'm not sure.

Back