Orange color match from the hardware store?

carl

True Classic
My flared X was the two tone black on bottom/orange on top. Anyone know if there is a sort of close color match to the orange in rattle form can from our favorite hardware store? I ask because Rustoleum Sunrise Red was at least a 95% match to the red used on my rat X.

I'm, of course, thinking in terms of interior, engine bay touch up and would never think of painting the outside of my car with such a thing.

I've heard (on xweb) that Allis-Chalmers Tractors are a very close color match for the Fiat orange, and that touch-up paint can be found next to the John-Deere Green and Ford Blue at some hardware stores. It makes a little sense, as one iteration of that company was 'Fiat-Allis', but I don't know the timeline of the corporate relationship. I googled Allis Chalmers paint, and found this link

I like the tractor paint suggestion. Unfortunately in my area we don't have a lot of agriculture so finding a store that carries tractor touch up paint isn't likely.

Often it seems the color of the rattle can cap isn't a very good indication of the actual color. Plus a lot of variables come into play (underlying color, number of coats, etc). So maybe buy one can each of several different 'oranges' and do some test spray outs to see what comes closest.

Well, the orange is likely similar as Fiat owned Allis Chalmers and Deutz Allis.

True Value Hardware may carry the Allis Chalmers Orange. You can find it from Krylon, Rustoleum and others that more specifically serve the agricultural market.

I have used Chevy engine orange for out of the way spots. It is a bit lighter and oranger, so it does not do well as an exact match on most exterior surfaces. One place that works well is the rocker panels that are generally shaded so the lighter shade of orange does not generally show up and no one has ever noticed. However in this picture where the sunlight is reflecting off the nearby cement at mid day you can actually see the lighter color. One of the few times it is noticeable. In any case this should give everyone an idea of the color match.

Attachments

• P3272952.jpg
    P3272952.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 84
I used to have a '71 BMW 2002 Tii that was in BMW "Inka" orange which looks pretty similar. Lovely bright color, lovely car. Then one day day a guy in a truck rear-ended me at about 50 mph while I was stopped at an intersection. How can you not see a bright orange car in front of you (sigh)?

You can get exact match rattle can paint at an autobody supply shop and they'll mix it up right there. I believe Ace Hardware can match it too but I would think an autobody shop has better paint.

Not mine:

614567-1000-0.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking orange X. Never seen one before.
Well, gosh, actually it is rosso arrancio, one of the most common "red" colors for X 1/9s, especially '79s. It is a light red and depending on the lighting can look orange. In the shadows and lower light it is a definite red.

This orange:

Not the same as rosso arrancio.

Attachments

• ing-ff6600.jpg
    ing-ff6600.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 92
I went to the somewhat local Tractor Supply store and got Rustoleum Allis-Chalmers orange and some other brand of Kuboto orange. X1/9 resto takes me to strange places like Tractor Supply, sort of a Home Depot for farmer wanna be types? Last year was at West Marine to get some wiring stuff...boat folks apparently like to pay a LOT of money for stuff. Both stores were interesting to walk through and had very polite and helpful employees. Even went to my first Fastenal store six months ago but not sure what their customer base is. My local Ace Hardware is a great place to get all manner of metric fasteners and they are all loose, unlike Home Depot that feels the need to put every fastener I might be interested in in a sealed plastic bag.

Anyway, at first I wasn't sure the Allis paint was a proper match, much better than their generic orange but then realized the orange paint on my car is really faded, even in areas such as the front trunk that should have been factory bright. I think the Allis is a good match but still looking for non-faded area on the car.

Carl, as mentioned here before, it's easier to have the paint mixed at the autobody colors shop, the code for the rosso arancio is fiat 171 (as certainly you already know..) you can have it in 1 or 2K form, in rattle can or to be sprayed with the air gun

there are also ebay shops that can provide the mixed paint to your door

anyway the red is the color most prone to fade out: no way that the fresh mixed paint will match the color of your car tough..

my car is the same (lovely) color, i had some paint (1K) mixed up to make some brush retouch in small areas; also had it sprayed to fix a small damage that i made touching a corner in reverse: no color match, but i do like a lived car more then a show queen

Having some paint mixed at the automotive paint supply stores has become extremely expensive here in the US (well at least in the 3 states that I'm familiar with). Especially if you want it color matched to blend with your faded car. It would depend on the goals for the car and budget allowed.

Carl, do you plan on buffing the existing paint on the car? If so, then do that first, the change in color will be shocking. Then you can find the closest color match in rattle cans.

I realize now (I'm such an idiot) that the car had been prepped for painting and all the exterior panels had been sanded, that's why the orange looked so flat. At the moment I'm not sure what I'll do. Touch up paint would be for engine bay, interior and both trunks. I may just rattle can flat black the entire exterior until I decide what to do with the exterior. I would prefer to have the exterior painted orange but no sense in having the car painted till all the mechanical work is done.

If it is already stripped and sanded, possibly give it a light scuff and paint it yourself with some inexpensive enamel from the big box home improvement store. $20 and at least it is all one color of your choice. Probably less than the cost of a bunch of rattle cans and I guarantee it will come out much better.
I've done a complete repaint in one weekend, including stripping, prepping, masking, and spraying. No body work was required, it was already straight. Needless to say it was not a show car, but it actually came out about as good as ones that I've spent months repainting. Not sure if that is good or bad? But hey, for the cost compared to having a car painted at a body shop you can't argue. In fact I had one car painted by a reputable body shop and it came out terrible. It was part of an insurance claim so wasn't able to get much resolve, but it did not cost me anything.

Back