Original, chrome 1974 FIAT windshield washer nozzle - any idea adjusting?

tvmaster

True Classic
The dual nozzle, original device. I've spent an hour turning the screws, positioning the notches under the screws, etc. Hopeless.
Anyone have a tried and true, scientific method of positioning the notches so water evenly covers the windshield? Notch angle over horizontal, etc.
My thought was the two should be lined up opposite to create a collision of water, thereby spreading out across the glass.
Hasn't worked yet...lol

4244__23204.jpg

Last edited:
They won’t evenly cover the windshield, they spray a stream. If you want that you need to buy modern spray nozzles which flatten the stream and make it wider.

I think you need to spend another hour…

I stupidly changed the ones on my Miata to more modern ones but they actually shoot over the car at rest and only hit the windshield when the car is at speed. Sigh.

They won’t evenly cover the windshield, they spray a stream. If you want that you need to buy modern spray nozzles which flatten the stream and make it wider.

I stupidly changed the ones on my Miata to more modern ones but they actually shoot over the car at rest and only hit the windshield when the car is at speed. Sigh.
WARNING! Thread drift!

That reminded of driving down A1A in Fort Lauderdale in the mid 70’s and spraying pedestrians in my friend’s Datsun 1200. We would just turn the nozzles to the side!

Lol. That's another thing, keeping the spray low enough. Is the idea to have the streams collide and splash the middle third? That seems like the best strategy

Lol. That's another thing, keeping the spray low enough. Is the idea to have the streams collide and splash the middle third? That seems like the best strategy
I like to have a fresh bowl… oh wait wrong show.

I like to have the stream hit a few inches above each of the wipers, this ensures the wiper carries some of the liquid across the windshield. Dry wipers scratch nice windshields.

I like to have a fresh bowl… oh wait wrong show.

I like to have the stream hit a few inches above each of the wipers, this ensures the wiper carries some of the liquid across the windshield. Dry wipers scratch nice windshields.
Haven’t been able to achieve this yet :( If the streams don’t collide in the middle, I haven’t been able to set them low enough to not fire off into the sky. arggg.

Last edited:
Haven’t been able to achieve this yet :( If the streams don’t collide in the middle, I haven’t been able to set them low enough to not fire off into the sky. arggg.
Which way do you have the nozzle oriented? I suspect you have it installed 180 degrees out. The two streams shouldn’t be able to hit each other because they splay outward not inward. Looking down at the unit it should look like this \0/ not like this /0\ with the windshield being ’up’

Which way do you have the nozzle oriented? I suspect you have it installed 180 degrees out. The two streams shouldn’t be able to hit each other because they splay outward not inward. Looking down at the unit it should look like this \0/ not like this /0\ with the windshield being ’up’
I’ll take a photo and post it shortly. But currently, the driver’s side jet is spraying (or at least over spraying) the passenger side, and visa versa. If the notches are parallel to each other, the streams collide. The arrows represent which way the water shoots. Also, as my pump is an aftermarket, it may be it's too powerful for the classic design, ie sending too much force through the nozzle?

20230208_073600.jpg

Last edited:
I think you have it installed backwards.

Usually the only problem you have is getting the spray to hit the windshield at the right place when you're going slow, and going fast. You pretty much have to choose between the two.

I think you have it installed backwards.

Usually the only problem you have is getting the spray to hit the windshield at the right place when you're going slow, and going fast. You pretty much have to choose between the two.
If it were installed inversely, I’d be hitting cars on both sides of me I think?

I’ll take a photo and post it shortly. But currently, the driver’s side jet is spraying (or at least over spraying) the passenger side, and visa versa. If the notches are parallel to each other, the streams collide. The arrows represent which way the water shoots. Also, as my pump is an aftermarket, it may be it's too powerful for the classic design, ie sending too much force through the nozzle?

View attachment 70429
You need to rotate the rings behind the screws 180 degrees, and then turn the assembly 180 degrees so the water will hit the windshield.

Back