Original Stebro FI-1 exhaust for?

flaviaman

True Classic
upload_2020-4-4_6-46-6.jpeg

upload_2020-4-4_6-46-53.jpeg

I bought this years ago for my 850 Coupe however the inlet is in the incorrect position, is it for an 850 sedan? 600? Any interest in it?

I recall that Stebro exhausts, the originals at least, were considerably louder than Abarth (which I do not necessarily regard as positive) and had the upswept tailpipes which as an 11yo I thought was very cool....

My guess would be that it was for an 850, likely the Sedan with that single-pipe entry. There was likely a matching 4-1 header for this muffler, as the stock 850 Sedan had a short 4-1 cast iron exhaust manifold, with a long downpipe as part of the muffler. Then again, if the Stebro had its own header, it may have been for all 850's, not just the Sedan.

I've never seen one of these actually mounted on an 850, & the only Stebro literature I've seen with an 850 is this very old ad:

468.jpg

An old eBay.it ad photo I saved years ago:

stebro.JPG

This muffler's definitely not for a Fiat 600, as they didn't have an exhaust-hangar twin bracket set-up like the 850, nor would a 600 need the 850-style heat shield that your Stebro unit clearly does have.

Hmmm...I wonder if an old early-style stock 850 Coupe/Spider 4-1 header could be adapted for this...?

002early850muffler.JPG

Might might some neat wall art for my shop. How much are you asking for the muffler?

Last edited:
That is for an 850 sedan like this one I have. The sedans have a cast iron manifold as stock. This is new but the manufacturer's sticker is now unreadable. It's a very solid muffler and is rather heavy. The pipe enters the forward end of the muffler.

It appears that someone cut off the pipe. Or maybe the needed section of pipe came as a separate piece from Stebro? A person could fabricate a header for it, modify one for an 850 which can sometimes be found on ebay or find an old 850 muffler that still has the single downpipe in decent usable condition.
DSCF1419.JPG

DSCF1420.JPG

Thanks for everyone’s input, and thanks for the Stebro advertisement...I recall those from R&T circa 1969 / 1970.

In regards to selling I would be happy with $35, I will caution however that it is relatively heavy and bulky, shipping could easily be another $40 or $50.

Stay safe and sane!

That is for an 850 sedan... It appears that someone cut off the pipe.

That what I thought at first, as well. But my eBay photo of another Stebro 850 muffler (posted above) shows the short inlet pipe exactly as the one flaviaman has. So I don't think the Stebro had an integrated single downpipe like the stock 850 Sedan or aftermarket mufflers like the one you've shown.

Or maybe the needed section of pipe came as a separate piece from Stebro?

Likely, or perhaps a more comprehensive manifold + pipe(s) assembly, something like the OT1000 header you had a while back?

In regards to selling I would be happy with $35, I will caution however that it is relatively heavy and bulky, shipping could easily be another $40 or $50.

Ah, what the heck, I'll take it. For heavy/bulky, I think Fed-Ex Ground (aka "Home Delivery") would be the cheaper way to go. Destination is Norco, CA 92860. Shoot me a PM with details & I can Paypal you asap. ;)

That what I thought at first, as well. But my eBay photo of another Stebro 850 muffler (posted above) shows the short inlet pipe exactly as the one flaviaman has. So I don't think the Stebro had an integrated single downpipe like the stock 850 Sedan or aftermarket mufflers like the one you've shown.

Likely, or perhaps a more comprehensive manifold + pipe(s) assembly, something like the OT1000 header you had a while back?
Could very well be. I've seen a number of different styles of headers over the years. Maybe Stebro had one version of a downpipe for use on a sedan and maybe a 4-2-1 style available also?

Cool piece, there won't be anymore made as Stebro shut down years ago with the passing of its (second, third?) owner.

I had one of their later stainless steel systems on my old 124 Spider and it was indeed loud, but very good tone I thought.

Back