OTAS 0015

What did you use to paint the trans and suspension

I all looks very clean. I would like to know if the coating is enamel, acrylic enamel, lacquer, 2part urethane, or POR15 (or similar)?

Paint

My paint process is pretty standard at this point.
Bead blast
Complete wipe down with PPG grease & wax remover
SEM metal etching primer Black or gray depending on finish color
Plasti-coat Satin black or Eastwood rally wheel silver.
If it's rims, clear coat.

All rattle can.

Protect yourself. This **** stinks!

Corsaire 003

The outside mirror on this car is super cool. It's the same used on the Lamborghini Miura. If you look at a bunch of Miura photo's you will find that most cars are missing the mirror or just plain have the wrong one.

If you have seen the 'Twiggy' Miura lately. That has the matching right mirror.

It's amazing how many parts are in this little mirror.

Base, and gasket

Bead-blasted

Ready for re-assembly

This is probably my favorite part of the car.

Heat duct

Probably doesn't deserve a dedicated page but.....

This is the duct that Fiat used in alot of cars, I think even the X. It's foil on the inside, black paper on the outside and 80mm. The Otas requires two 1 meter long hoses. I couldn't find the right stuff in this country. Ended up finding it in Germany. Some German speaking friends helped source it from an RV supplier.

Crazy? Yes. But it looks better than dryer duct.

Battery box cover

The trunk is getting close to done. I pulled out a battery box cover from a sedan (original one didn't come with the car) for paint.

I discovered that even this was modified by Lombardi from the original.

The hold down tabs in the rear need to be moved to the front and a new hold down hole needs to be made. Basically it is removed in the opposite way from the 850 Sedan.

Here you can see where the tabs were, I drilled out the spot welds.

and welded the tabs to the front. First welds!

Subscribing!!!.....and wanted to ask if at any time in the past you were associated with Scott Phelps up there in Vermont.
Nice car!!!....

Very inspirational project. It takes a special kind of madness to undertake a project of such rarity. I will have to Google this car just to see what it is. Paint is spectacular! :dance2:

I have followed the transformation of your Sedan. Looks great!
You don't happpen to have a spare Master Cylinder do you?:)

Hopefully...

No work for me today means I'll be at the shop (storage) most of the day, with lots of time to dive through boxes of parts looking for this Sedan M/C for you. Wish me luck!!! :thumbsup:

Engine work

Hi all, It's been a while.
Last weekend I was inspired to build a test bed for the 850 motor that I intend to use in the Otas. This engine has been moving around the garage for at least 15 years. My late Uncle rebuilt and balanced this motor back in the early 2000's.

I started by flipping the motor over and inspecting the bottom end.

Everything looked wet with oil and good to go.

Alloy Pan.

This is the initial setup.

Over the next week I added the pieces needed to run. Ignition switch, grounds and wiring and an overflow bottle.

First check.

After setting the point gap and soldered a leak in the radiator. I was ready for the big day.

Today my friend Andy & I fired it up. After pulling the carb and replacing a leaking accelerator pump diaphragm. This is the best running clip.

Right after this we lost spark. Swapped coils and wires. Nothing. I suspect the points and condenser. I plan on getting a full carb kit and ignition set up and trying to get it purring.

Real nice to here it running after all these years.

Looks and sounds great. A 903 or was it punched out a bit during the rebuild?

Sounded good while idling and a little rough around the edges when you revved it up. Definitely missing.

Love the engine stand setup. A Yugo ignition switch I presume :)

Looks and sounds great. A 903 or was it punched out a bit during the rebuild?

Sounded good while idling and a little rough around the edges when you revved it up. Definitely missing.

Love the engine stand setup. A Yugo ignition switch I presume :)

Stock displacement.
Ignition overhaul is in the cards. Likely a carb tear down as well.
Lots of Yugo parts around here.

Back