OTAS 0015

As Karl said and you seem to agree...

The carb appears to be a bit rough... but with the ignition problem now, it may not have been the source or only source of the problem.

CONGRATS all around though... these are relatively simple and inexpensive fixes... but no less frustrating.

Come back with MORE, we wanna see MORE!

The carb appears to be a bit rough... but with the ignition problem now, it may not have been the source or only source of the problem.

CONGRATS all around though... these are relatively simple and inexpensive fixes... but no less frustrating.

Come back with MORE, we wanna see MORE!

Thanks for the pep talk!
I agree about the carb. I think that the idle circuit is dirty, or a needle seat issue. I also may need a ballast resister on the coil.
Right now I am trying to track down a 2 outlet brake master cylinder.

Thanks for the pep talk!
I agree about the carb. I think that the idle circuit is dirty, or a needle seat issue. I also may need a ballast resister on the coil.
Here's more pep talk for you :)...... My 850 hasn't idled consistently for over 2000 miles. I cleaned the idle get and found a speck of crud in it. Now it idles better but I still think it's not perfect due to loose bushing in the distributor, bad coil or oil pump/dist drive to distributor shaft spline/slot. I pulled my distributor out for a rebuild yesterday and today sourced-out a couple brass bushings from VW starters that might work with a bit of machining.

I hope You get your engine running the way you like very soon, and without a lot of fuss. Just want to encourage you to enjoy your car sooner, rather than later as they always find a way to not run right in the future no matter what you do. But what I really would like to see is another one of those screaming videos on your cool test stand :headbang::clap:

This has got to get you pep'd up....Here's a rare picture of the infamous Greg Schimdt with one of his 850's
14413742487_9feb1c484d_c.jpg

Here's a picture just for inspiration. It includes a tiny view of the same skinny bumper your installing on your car. I think this was was taken at Gregs garage or home in San Diego. I could be mistaken.
14599522072_5286f014bf_c.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a picture just for inspiration. It includes a tiny view of the same skinny bumper your installing on your car. I think this was was taken at Gregs garage or home in San Diego. I could be mistaken.
14599522072_5286f014bf_c.jpg

IIRC, this is Richard Tramatulo's (sp?) car. I remember seeing it at the 1993 Concorso Italiano (at Quail Lodge) when Abarth was the featured marque. It was my first time going to C.I., & while heading to the show I'd gotten lost on the highway interchange just outside of Salinas. As I pulled off the freeway to get my bearings, out of the blue this car came cruising right on by me - so I hot-footed it & just followed him straight to Quail!

Note the dual (not single) sidedrafts. :love: :italia:

Cool! Got any more vintage Schmidt photo's?

Here is a pic of Gregs wife's Sedan, His van and some other Otas in front of his shop around 88-89.
14596868691_d6acc3c2a5_c.jpg

14690166354_bc2a8d42aa_c.jpg

Front view of Greg's 850. Greg never like his picture taken, not that I needed one, but he was always conscious of stepping out of the frame. I just happen to catch him in one of his moments in one of these pictures where he didn't seem to mind even posing with his car. :heart::heart::heart:
14599532222_18ddbd5b30_c.jpg

Gregs OT1000 detail of his engine bay. Looks like an A112, thread-in dip stick, oil cooler and plex ignition. I don't remember if it was a real OT or a Clone. He came over to my home in El Segundo Ca that day to pickup some parts I had for sale. He was always looking for inventory and always claimed he owned nothing that was not for sale. :whistle:
14577145136_380e7b5071_c.jpg

Last edited:
Round two

Yesterday Dad & I tore down the carb and replaced everything that was ugly. Varified jets and that sort of thing.

This morning I replaced all the ignition components including a new coil.

Fired right up!

Once it was warmed up it's not catching an idle from higher RPM.

Not sure where to go from here...

Are the needle valves keeping up?

In your tear-down, did you check needle valve flow rate?
I'm no expert here, but I've seen instances where the floats aren't allowed to fill enough (after high RPM) to keep idle, yet a re-start allows idle because the action of re-starting gives the carb floats time enough to re-fill again. The issue being poor needle valve flow.
Also, vacuum action could play a part in this. (poor flow with low vacuum at low RPM)

Just throwing this out there. Nice videos BTW.

I ran it again this afternoon. I did some research and found I needed an extra turn out on the Air corrector. It pops a bit on the secondary transition but runs much better. Dialing it in.

Brakes!

Brakes!
My Dad came down last night and we got the brakes put together. Rebuilt the calipers, tracked down a plugged up line union and learned a Mity vac is no match for a traditional pump it up brake bleed procedure.

Brakes are 90% bled. Thanksgiving weekend should get it done.

Crossing stuff off the list!

Update

I have been able to make a little progress lately. The carpet is in production and I have been working in the front trunk.

The grill and front bumper are on.

I didn 't like the kink in the heater hoses as they past into the cabin.
I Brazed these two fittings together to make a right angle.

Heater controls. The yellowish tube is the original cable housing. I replaced them with Yugo hood cable and housing. Virtually identical.

Had to make some cable locks.

Here you can see the Yugo hood release. It is a push wire rather than a cable.

Here you can see the original cable. To kinked up to travel smoothly. I will need to order another Yugo part.:nuts:

The trunk with heater duct and hose.

Final cable control install a jack, spare and tool box will finish this end.

This is one of my favorite cars. Need full profile body shots please (that sounds a bit creepy but it really isn't I swear).

I wasn't really happy with how the heater hoses were laying in the trunk so I made a couple more 90degree unions.

This arch is a little much.

The unions got the hoses back down were they should be.

NO you have a Roadmaster in the way. Way more impressive and in the way...

18n4lwuzk643tjpg.jpg

That is some road hugging weight mastering nearly any road...

:)

Missing a bracket?

The unions got the hoses back down were they should be.

If I recall, there should be another hose bracket like the one shown next to the battery box lid (upper right corner of your photo). This second bracket is normally mounted right around the area that would be just behind your hose clamps, just before the hoses dive down through the trunk floor.

Like this:

m14c.jpg

If I recall, there should be another hose bracket

Like this:

m14c.jpg

Could be, there are no holes for it. Maybe they left it off this one. There are only two on this car. The other bracket is on the underside in front of the radiator.

On another note, I never liked the drier duct heater hose.

Also, the jack fits up there. I have not tested it yet but it seems it will rest on the hose. Any photo's of that installed?
Who's car is this? Any idea or just an old file photo.?
As always, Thanks for the insight Jeff.

Back