"Papa" Tony Natoli

TommyClocks

Daily Driver
We lost one of our best Fiat Buddies today. "Papa" Tony Natoli passed away after a long bout with cancer.

I know that I will always remember him for his great advice, his willingness to always help his Fiat friends, his laughter, his excellent way of solving the toughest problems and of course his wonderful friendship.

I will remember the Fiat drives, the car shows, the museum trips, the BBQs and all the fun get-togethers with Tony. Tony showed me the finer points of the Fiat X1/9, I bought my first one after driving his beloved "Black Tooth".

If St Peter drives an X1/9, he now has the best mechanic with him in Heaven.

I will miss him,
Tommy

I met Papa in 2011, at the age of 19 when I got my X1/9. Since then, he's been a constant source of knowledge, wisdom, and joy. He was a friend, a brother to my dad, and a second father to me.

A funny story, and one I will never forget; when he first met my girlfriend at one of the Best of France and Italy events, he asked her, "What are you doing with this guy? C'mon, we'll go this way." And he then whisked her away towards the gentleman's table (those of you that have attended BFI know which one), and gave her a bowl of spumoni, a slice of pizza, and a hot dog. Boy, that was smooth.

I miss you Papa. We will meet again soon. Save a Moxie for me.

DSC_0660.JPG

I met Papa in 2011, at the age of 19 when I got my X1/9. Since then, he's been a constant source of knowledge, wisdom, and joy. He was a friend, a brother to my dad, and a second father to me.

A funny story, and one I will never forget; when he first met my girlfriend at one of the Best of France and Italy events, he asked her, "What are you doing with this guy? C'mon, we'll go this way." And he then whisked her away towards the gentleman's table (those of you that have attended BFI know which one), and gave her a bowl of spumoni, a slice of pizza, and a hot dog. Boy, that was smooth.

I miss you Papa. We will meet again soon. Save a Moxie for me.

View attachment 51824
Great photo Jose. Thanks for sharing.

I joined Xweb back in the 90's and always enjoyed reading Papa Tony's very knowledgeable posts. Although I have since sold my road going X plus my track car Prototipo replica, (Tony told me to call it a "tribute"), I still have a soft spot for exxies and have been lurking on Xweb for years, always hoping to see a post from Tony. This is not an unexpected outcome as he was so ill for so long, but still such a shock when it happens. I never knew Tony personally but I still share a small piece of the loss his family and close friends must be feeling. Sincere condolences from Downunder.

So tony used to say that if you don't have photos, it never really happened. We really did install a windshield in my Spider. There was some alcohol involved....

I'll upload more photos as I find them.

Tommy

Attachments

• IMG_2232.JPG
    IMG_2232.JPG
    326.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2238.JPG
    IMG_2238.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 151
I found some more photos. Tony and I drove our X1/9s to a book store in Burbank and met the gents from Wheeler Dealers, what a fun day. Edd China and Mike Brewer were very complimentary when they saw our cars. Tony was beaming. :) Edd and Mike loved talking with Tony during the book signing!

I love sharing these pictures of Tony, just a small peak at a wonderful friend. I hope you all enjoy the photos.

Tommy

Attachments

• IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2099.JPG
    IMG_2099.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 20160220_113828.jpg
    20160220_113828.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 163
Huge loss, wish I had caught up with him after he sent the message about his illness. He helped me a lot over the years, in person, over email. Will miss you Tony.

Sorry to hear this - Ryan and I were chatting late last night and he told me. I met Papa Tony at the Best of France and Italy in 2007 and stayed in touch with him over the years on email and a few phone calls, but I'm sad to say it's been several years since I last emailed him. It was great to meet him at BFI - he was definitely one of those types that are larger than life. His help, kind words, warm smile and willingness to help and get involved touched so many people. He will definitely be missed.

I remember Tony telling me that if I didn't buy those '74 bumperettes at one of the BOF's that I'd regret it forever. Sage advice right there, as I picked them up !

I found some more photos. Tony and I drove our X1/9s to a book store in Burbank and met the gents from Wheeler Dealers, what a fun day. Edd China and Mike Brewer were very complimentary when they saw our cars. Tony was beaming. :) Edd and Mike loved talking with Tony during the book signing!

I love sharing these pictures of Tony, just a small peak at a wonderful friend. I hope you all enjoy the photos.

Tommy
Maybe it was this event, and meeting you two, which inspired Brewer to seek out an Exxe before leaving the U.S. When we met him, he seemed genuinely happy they finally found, fixed and featured one on the show :)

Thanks for posting the obituary Dan. I have been thinking about Papa Tony. I read the post on the forum, they all ring true of the Tony I knew. I also had the pleasure of meeting him a few times at the "Best of France and Italy" car show. He was the same Tony in person: Helpful, humorous, engaging, welcoming. At the show he was usually mingling around, giving advice and when he wasn't he was holding court at a table with wine and pizza. He would make room for anyone who wanted to join. The last time I saw Tony was at that show two years ago. I did not plan to go, but I was not far away and decided to stop by. It was early afternoon and the show was winding down, really over. Tony was sitting at a table with a couple of guys I joined them soon it was just Tony and I. We talked about a lot of things, family, cars, not all Fiat. Merkel Weiss joined us as we watched the stragglers leave. It was one of the more quiet, reflective moments. Tony got a call from his wife Sharon and he reluctantly said he had to go. He gave the impression she had the more fragile health. R.I.P. Tony

Oh no. I just logged in for the first time in months and read the bad news. I’m really saddened by this. Covid has taken away so many aspects of my life. I was really looking forward to seeing Tony after two years at BFI. It just won’t be the same without his boisterous laugh echoing to all corners of the park, and beyond. RIP good man. You will be missed.

Regretfully miss being part of the crew for many years though I did have somewhat recent contact with Tony in late July as he assisted me with increasing the voltage in my X1/9. Such an insightful man with limitless personality and a brute force in his never ending quest to help keep these cars on the road and their proud owners all the more wise. It was a beautiful day at his service, one held with military funeral honors.

Thank you for your service to our country and all you have done here.

Fair Winds and Following Seas.

IMG_3027.jpg

Thank you, Rudy, for reminding us of this video. It's just fantastic and priceless, and shows Tony's warmth and spirit brilliantly. 🙌

Regretfully miss being part of the crew for many years though I did have somewhat recent contact with Tony in late July as he assisted me with increasing the voltage in my X1/9. Such an insightful man with limitless personality and a brute force in his never ending quest to help keep these cars on the road and their proud owners all the more wise. It was a beautiful day at his service, one held with military funeral honors.

Thank you for your service to our country and all you have done here.

Fair Winds and Following Seas.

View attachment 53029

Last edited:
I was just reading the thread about this weekend's Best of France and Italy, and am very saddened to discover that Tony had recently passed away. Although I haven't owned an X for many years, I do visit this forum frequently and have always enjoyed reading his posts. I've met him a couple of times at past BOFIs; we chatted briefly and he seemed like a genuinely warm, humble human being besides being very knowledgeable about these cars. I'll miss his posts and my best wishes go out to his family.

Wow. Sorry to hear of Papa Tony's passing. He was a super nice guy. Made JB and I feel very welcome when we came out to BFI about a decade ago.

Back