Parking Brakes Won't Release

Stugogi

Clean Classic
Last night I set the parking brake, and this morning the brakes would not release when I lowered the parking brake. The brake lever appears to move fine and still clicks, but I can't tell if the cables got stuck in the 'on' position. It feels easier to pull up on the lever than before, but I don't a broken cable would make the brakes stay locked. Unless the hand brake system has a spring to return the cables and release the brakes?
Any help on where I should start with the search will help save time.

I would remove the rear wheels and hammer gently the hanbrake mechanism on the calipers, with the handbrake in the release position. It may just the lever that is stuck. Maybe apply some brake cleaner first and move the lever back and forth so it will not happen again shortly.

If you can't hammer them back in position, then you will have to investigate more. Maybe cable related problem I would guess it could be in the assembly to adjust where it's entering into the center tunnel.

What has likely happened is that the cables are rusty on the inside and won’t retract back through the sheath when you release the handle. As the cables are not retracting now when you pull up the handle it actually isn’t pulling back the cables against the caliper mechanisms. The cable holding in the pulled up position means the caliper is being held in the locked position.

There are springs on the cables near the ends where they interact with the caliper emergency brake lever on the caliper itself.

Alternatively, the mechanism on the caliper is frozen and won’t allow the cable springs to pull the lever arm back and as a result the rear brakes are locked.

What can you do?

First jack up the car, remove a rear wheel, ensure the car is on a jack stand and you will see the caliper in front of you. Next locate the lever on the caliper and try to move the emergency brake mechanism so the lever moves towards the cable. Often this will force the cable back and allow the caliper to release. Check this by trying to rotate the disk to verify it has released. If moving the lever towards the cable disengages it from the lever, the cable is likely frozen and will need to be replaced. If the cable moves freely back into the sheath you may need to look into rebuilding the rear calipers.

Thanks for the right place to start. At least that will narrow it down. Hope I can look at it tomorrow.

I honestly don't know if this is possible on these rear calipers. But I've encountered some where the "self adjuster" mechanism could eventually wind all the way out to the point they got hung up on the caliper housing, locking the brakes. One clue was the pads were worn extremely thin, as were the rotors. The only way to fix those was to tear them apart and rebuild them. But as I said, I'm not sure this can happen on these or not. Anyone know?

P.S. Welcome to the forum. Feel free to share about your X1/9.

Bingo. That did it. Curb side was sticky some but the drivers side was stuck. Used a screw driver to move the emergency lever, cleaned out the mechanism and sprayed a little cleaner on it. Both rubber cable boots have come apart in places so that doesn't help. Thinking back before I parked it, it rained hard that day I took the car to work and the streets were flooded on the way home. Probably loosened some gunk up and dried when I parked. Thanks guys for the right half to start checking the problem! My luck, 50/50 chance on which end to check first and will be the 2nd one every time. o_O

Back