parting out wrecked 1985 Bertone X1/9. Scary picture warning!

Chris Obert

autocrosser, X driver
Not too many of us service places have what we still call every day drivers any more. This client kept his rust free car that he bought brand new in his garage, and only used it for going out of town. In town he uses public transportation.
Because of it being a long distance car, keeping it up to date, and looking great, has been important. It would not of been a shown winner, but it would have gotten lots of positive responses.
I have been servicing it since January of 2015. And I have done a lot. Plaia suspension upgrades, complete brakes, complete suspension rebuild, head gasket and valve job. And a lot of general maintenance. It got it all without question as to cost.
Speedometer shows 62,909 miles. Because it's not a 6 digit speedometer, I suspect it got replaced before I met the car.

Earlier this year he hydroplaned it into a center guard rail, proving yet again that if you are going to have a serious accident, do it in an X1/9. He is shaken and sore, but he walked away. Besides hitting the guard rail head on at freeway speed, he appears to have done a flip, pirouetted around on the right rear, and somehow ended up on the remains of the wheels between two apposing guard rails. The tow company got it out without flipping it over. The tow driver was very proud of his recovery skills.

Below are pictures of the remains. The owner has asked me to sell as much of it as I can before having it hauled off for scrap. Please let me know what you might want, along with a fair offer. Your offer should include some amount for the owner's loss, and be sufficient to cover my labor time at US $110.00 per hour to remove it from the wreckage.
So far, only the headlamp switch on the dash is called for, and I have an interested party in the transaxle. It's leaking oil, so I suspect the case got broken?

As always, as I don't check this forum often you will get a faster response if you email me directly.

to 01-13-2020 dash.JPG

to 01-13-2020 left front.JPG

to 01-13-2020 left rear.JPG

to 01-13-2020 right front.JPG

to 01-13-2020 right rear.JPG

If you need to see pictures of something specific that you might want, please ask. And remember, this was a rust free car, so if there is something that might help you out with a slight bend, please ask for it!

Note that JRT has backed out on the used mirror and glass, as he didn't realize I also have them new. Used parts from car are now available again.

I am alway's amazed when I see our cars take a major hit, and how well they protect the people inside.

it's a shame to lose such a nice version. But it's great that the owner of this car lived though such a crash, the car did its job, and it did its job very well!!

If no crack on the lens of door courtesy light, need price for both if in good shape.

If no crack on the lens of door courtesy light, need price for both if in good shape.

Yves,
You are second in line on the lamps. If the first guy does not take them I will try to remember to send you the pictures. Please let me know the email address you will want the pictures sent to.

Chris

Does this fall into the "Good tires.....but certainly not GREAT tires" category?

Glad the owner/driver is OK.

Holy crap. Glad the owner is OK. As you said, if you're going to have an accident, have it in an X1/9 (or really a mid engined car). My cousin hydroplaned his MR2 backwards into a guardrail at 80mph. He walked away without a scratch and the car could amazingly be driven away as well.

Is the dash not cracked and otherwise undamaged? It looks a bit tweaked in the pictures . . . but it might be an illusion. I'd be interested in the dash if the price was right.

aarpcard,

The dash has three cracks. It had those before the incident, if my memory is correct.
It does not appear to be tweaked, but lots of the surrounding stuff is.

Michael,
I have sent you file pictures of the pictures in the above post, by email. Let me know if you did not get them.

Hi Chris,
Wow, this is one impressive accident. A testament to the design of the X1/9 from a passenger protection perspective. I’m wondering about a couple of items off the car.
1. The power window switches—do they work?
2. The engine cover—is it damaged and is that rust in the right rear corner?
3. Driver and passenger side mirrors with glass—glass intact? Mirrors operational?
4. The black plastic cap for the belt cover in the engine compartment—is it there?

hope all is well
Best,
Mike

1. The power window switches—do they work?
********* That part of the car is bent. The one on the right seems to move properly, but the one on the left has popped apart. It may be serviceable once removed and assembled?
They worked before the incident. But there is no power in the car to test them.
I still have stocks of the switches new. ******

2. The engine cover—is it damaged and is that rust in the right rear corner?
****** It's damage from the incident. It seems to have been drug on the ground for a short period. There is one other small dent, and the lid is not twisted.
I have stocks of them new, and used. *******

3. Driver and passenger side mirrors with glass—glass intact? Mirrors operational?
******* Both mirrors are good.
I still have stocks of the left mirror new, and I also have both mirrors used. *******

4. The black plastic cap for the belt cover in the engine compartment—is it there?
******* No. But I still have one new in stock!
If you want me to send pictures, let me know your email address. Or, if you want me to post links to the above items on my web store, just ask.

Back