Passenger Side Mirror

Bobr

My Toy
I put a passenger side mirror on the Barn Find. Had to replace the glass and it took me about an hour or so pulling the door apart and refitting all the stuff. I like the look from the outside. It makes the car look alot more balanced.
It is worthless as a driving mirror. The view is so narrow. Do I have the wrong mirror? I think if it is a wide angle mirror ( OBJECTS ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR ) would help. Also the post on the door that is between the roll up window and the front glass is in the way. Is this a Lancia option? (Joke) I guess its a looks nice but WHY?

Tried to take pics but the camera is not working.....sorry

Yep

That pass side mirror is only partially useful because the window guide is right in the middle of it. :(

I have a set of late model thru-the-window glass and mirrors I may put on my 78, but I also have a new set of old school Vitaloni flag mirrors. I can't decide which to use.

im0014512dn.jpg

I think I will have one of the kids hold the pass side flag mirror in different locations to see if I can get it in a spot where it serves its purpose and looks good too. If not, I will put the late model mirrors on. They do give a balanced look to the car.

Sheet metal door mounts don't appeal to me - seems like it's inviting problems.

I find the right mirror usable - even if the post is slightly in the way.

Yep, post is in the way, depending a bit on seating position. If I lean all the way back and put head back (which I never do) it's barely blocked, but under "normal" driving position it is blocked. Still it is usable and better than nothing and it does make the car look a bit better.

Lancia Zagatos and Maserati Bi Turbos had wide angle glass on the passenger side and is the same shape. That's what I used.

You mean the entire housing, or just the glass can be used?

EDIT - just googled for it - on the Bi Turbo ebay listing I found, the housing base is different - doesn't screw through the glass...

I have always used my mirrors for highway driving pretty much only and I can see fine out of both side mirrors.

For around-town driving I don't trust mirrors - on any car :) Plus I might miss a pretty girl walking by!!! :)

1989 VW mirrors

I wanted to have remote mirrors -not that they're really needed, but I just thought it would be cool.

It seems all of the cars new enough to have remote mirrors are the post 90's "jellybean" styling: all curvy and rounded, with mirrors to suit. Plus most of them mount at the vent window area.

But there was a couple of years when VW mounted a more angular styled mirror -suitable for the styling of an X1/9- on the fender. If I remember correctly, it's 1989 ... or so.

But they're cable remote. So I got the motor heads from (Hussein will like this) a Volvo (because they are small enough to fit).

The mirrors *look* like they'll fit right on the door -the Golfs and Jetta's they come off of seem to have the very same edge right there where the mirrors mount- but they would angle upwards. So I had to tweak the base a bit to get it to fit upright. I made inserts to go inside the door to back up the sheet metal from 0.090 steel; and epoxied them in place (ya, ya, I know, if I had that planned out BEFORE I did the paint...) I cut gaskets from plain rubber sheet.

They look like factory, and they're electric remote. I wanted to get heated, but that apparently wasn't a VW option and I figure I can set something up some time in the future if I really want to do that.

I have a late model with both mirrors.

never really paid attention, but checked on my way to work this morning (been using as a commuter on nice days since one of two kids is not being hauled around (summer break)).

From my seating position (seat bottom up from full back (short legs) and back reclined (long arms)(traditional Italian driving position), pass mirror not obscured by glass pillar, but neither is really useful for seeing whats going on around me. Must make frequesnt use of center mirror and direct visual observations in order to remain safe.

I'd love to see pics of your install :)

I hadn't thought of converting to electric, but since early 80's Volvos had that as a option, the remote toggle switches would be easy to utilize in the X. I have plenty of power mirror assy's from a range of Volvos, so I'll have to look into this as an option :excited:

EDIT:

Then I can use split glass (from EU models) as I did on my '98 wagon

XCV70springclean0020.jpg

I used the convex mirror

I used the convex ("Objects are closer than they appear") mirror on the passenger side. Where I've mounted it, it's further back than the through-the-glass mirror would be.

dsc01223e.jpg

Flag mirrors on mine..

I picked up a set of matching mirrors from Midwest several years back. I "think" they are from a 128 or something, pretty sure they were off a Fiat.

'74s are door sheet metal mounted, so I could just copy the position from the drivers side.

ansen1.jpg

I picked up a set of matching mirrors from Midwest several years back. I "think" they are from a 128 or something, pretty sure they were off a Fiat.

'74s are door sheet metal mounted, so I could just copy the position from the drivers side.

ansen1.jpg

Are your plimsoll/lateral body indents "removed" or does it just look like it in that picture?

Back