PBS 850 race engine

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
As most of you likely know by now, I am not knowledgeable about 850's. So I really did not know what I was looking at today when I saw a old DSR racer with what was reported to be a PBS race 850 engine. The engine was about the size of a 850 block but had a twin cam head that looked more like something off a Toyota or such. The rocker cover and oil sump (cool looking fined alloy pan with a side extension for increased capacity) had the PBS logo. It had a tube header and a pair of large side draft Webers. Other typical race prep parts on the engine as well. Unfortunately the owner did not know anything about it other than to say it was a PBS engine. The DSR used a trans that looked like a 850 unit, with the engine rear mounted (which I thought odd for a sports racer). Overall the car was tired looking and partly disassembled. Seemed pretty much like a home made project from many years ago. As you also know, I don't take pictures much so nothing to show you. Anyone know what the engine might have been?

What a coincidence. My neighbor came by the other day to look at my X (he has an 88 and an 850) and happened to tell me about an 850 PBS engine that he had years ago and went missing while in storage. I forwarded him the link to see if your description sounds familiar.

Steve, it looked a lot like the second pic. The valve cover had two separate "humps", one over each cam. Even with the same "PBS" logo over the exhaust cam. But I don't think the belt cover in the front quite looked like that (might have just been off, as some of the accessory components were also off). Like I mentioned, it reminded me of a Toyota head more than Fiat. But definitely a Fiat looking lower end. And the oil sump reminded me of something a Abarth would have, with cooling fins, etc. The carbs and header were also located that same way as your second picture, but they were off the engine (sitting next to it).

Don, this was a complete D Sports Racer, not just the engine. It had old school slotted mag wheels, tube frame and suspension, simple flat aluminum panels for a body, just like I remember seeing at SCCA events in the 70's. It was apparent the frame was built for that engine and trans, especially with it being positioned to the rear instead of the more usual mid mount. He had a bunch of extra parts and the usual assortment of stuff you will find with old race cars that have been around for a long time. So I doubt there is any relation to the missing engine.

Don, this was a complete D Sports Racer, not just the engine. It had old school slotted mag wheels, tube frame and suspension, simple flat aluminum panels for a body, just like I remember seeing at SCCA events in the 70's. It was apparent the frame was built for that engine and trans, especially with it being positioned to the rear instead of the more usual mid mount. He had a bunch of extra parts and the usual assortment of stuff you will find with old race cars that have been around for a long time. So I doubt there is any relation to the missing engine.
Yes, I would say it is very unlikely, but the links that Steve posted to those photos make for interesting viewing.

I'm guessing by the photo that PBS made such an engine. So the one I saw would have been what he said it was...a PBS race engine.

The guy is selling the whole package. Most of it is trash. Certainly not worth restoring as a DSR. And most of the components on the car are not usable on anything else. But the engine and trans (also had a spare trans), maybe brakes and wheels, perhaps a few other items might be worth using on another project car. I have no idea of the value of these engines.

The guy is selling the whole package. Most of it is trash. Certainly not worth restoring as a DSR. And most of the components on the car are not usable on anything else. But the engine and trans (also had a spare trans), maybe brakes and wheels, perhaps a few other items might be worth using on another project car. I have no idea of the value of these engines.

Any photos of this particular car &/or the engine? We have 2 PBS DSR's (sister cars) in my shop, owned by my shopmate & a friend of his (they both race in VARA). These are mid-mount engine style cars, but any chassis/engine spares might be of interest, I can let them know...

pbsx2.jpg

I'm guessing by the photo that PBS made such an engine. So the one I saw would have been what he said it was...a PBS race engine.

PBS made a few different head/cam set-ups. The engine in Steve's first photo is from my friends car, it has a SOHC style head. There were also 2 types of DOHC head, & their more-popular 8-port head.

Jeff, this one was a simple homemade looking car with slab sides and did not seem well engineered. Because of the rear layout it utilized the 850 trans, not a real race gearbox like a Hewland or such. Being partly disassembled it was difficult to tell just how complete it was or the condition of things. But it appeared to have been sitting for many years and in a rather poor state. So I doubt there would be much of use other than perhaps the PBS engine (definitely a twin cam)...which is of unknown condition. Roughly what are those engines worth?

I am interested in the PBS bits. The cylinder heads were produced for the 600D and 843 blocks in the mid 1960s. Do you have any pics of the car? Thanks, Kent

The engine was about the size of a 850 block but had a twin cam head that looked more like something off a Toyota or such. The rocker cover and oil sump (cool looking fined alloy pan with a side extension for increased capacity) had the PBS logo. It had a tube header and a pair of large side draft Webers.

Funny you should mention PBS & Toyota - here's an old Toyota race engine with custom PBS DOHC head/intake with dual side drafts (Mikuni 50 or 55, IIRC) & alloy dry sump set-up. :)

pbstoyotadohc1.jpg pbstoyotadohc2.jpg pbstoyotadohc3.jpg

Back