Pennsylvania residents -- need advice on title transfer

Huey

True Classic
There are a lot of fellow Pennsylvanians on this forum. I just bought an X1/9 from a guy in Maryland. He signed the MD title. What do I need to transfer this to PA? When I moved to PA from West Virginia, I had to take my vehicles to the title place so they could verify the VIN. I also know PA requires both the buyer and seller to be present when transferring a title, which is not possible here.

Since the car is not running, it will be very challenging for me to take it to a place to verify the VIN. What kind of hassles can I expect?

I typed "PA DMV" into Google and found the "Title and Registration" page on the website. There is a button on the page that is labeled "Buying/Selling a Vehicle" which talks about out of state purchases. I don't see anything about buyer and seller needing to be present. It does mention needing to get the VIN verified. Here in MO we have to take the car to a state authorized inspector (most big garages are licensed) and have the VIN verified. I did this with my 124 Special a couple years ago when I brought it in from IL. After a few minutes of the inspector telling me how cool it was, he looked at the VIN tag and said "Looks like a real car to me." :)

I read thru the pages for what is necessary for a VIN inspection in PA and it sounds similar to MO. Take it to an inspection station and they can handle it. Is the X still on the trailer??? It doesn't have to run, they just verify the VIN and provide you a document.

Thanks. I guess what I'm asking is if anyone from PA knows of a title place that will accept a photo of the VIN tags rather than a physical inspection. Putting that thing back on the trailer and towing it somewhere just to have someone come out and look at it is an awful waste of time. The PA website says something about a "pencil rubbing" of the VIN.

How about a photo of the VIN tag in front of my house with the house number and today's newspaper on the hood? :D

The tracing is needed if you were going to submit the paperwork to the State on your own and not go thru a local tag agency; in such case you would need an inspection mechanic or notary to certify that the tracing you submit to the state is a true and correct tracing. If you go to a tag agent to get the title work done, part of their procedure is to verify the VIN via visual inspection. Under most common circumstances such as a sale between buyer and seller with both present and with all documents in order (title, insurance docs, etc) and showing the same VIN, it would be unusual for a tag agent to actually go outside to look at a VIN. Experienced tag agents in business for a long time know when a deal is right and can pretty much smell a bad deal when it's standing in front of them.

Regarding the previous state's title, since Maryland does not require notarized signatures, PA won't require the seller sig to be notarized. You will of course surrender the Maryland title to the tag agent to be replaced by the title to be issued by PA.

Go to the tag agent with the previous state's title and your PA driver's license. If you don' think you'll be driving the car for a while, you do have the option of doing just the title work by itself and then get tags to drive with later. If you are planning to drive the car sooner than later, proof of insurance (classic car insurance from Grundy, Hagerty, American Collectors [who I use], etc, is generally better suited than just adding the X to your existing policy) will be needed to get license plates and registration to drive on the road. And of course cash or checks to cover title and reg fees, the tag agents fees and the PA sales tax on the sale price of the car. It's very likely the agent won't ask for anything else. DO NOT mention or volunteer any statements about VINs. If you do, the tag agent's radar will activate. In case they ask ON THEIR OWN, have these pics handy on your phone: the VIN tag at the base of the driver's side windshield, AND the VIN stamped into the panel above the battery in the frunk, AND the data plate above the right front tire in the frunk, AND the VIN on the white tag on the driver's door jamb. If for some reason the tag agent is not satisfied with those four pics they have every right to ask to see the car in person. You of course have every right to go to the next tag agent down the road.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. I took care of it today. The guy did ask to see the car and I told him it's not running but I gave him a pencil rubbing of the VIN. He accepted that. Much less hassle than I feared.

Great to hear. I was going to offer assistance if that fell through. My wife is a PA notary public.

Great to hear. I was going to offer assistance if that fell through. My wife is a PA notary public.

Actually the title arrived just yesterday. PA is impressive in their speed -- it would take a month or two in WV.

Actually the title arrived just yesterday. PA is impressive in their speed -- it would take a month or two in WV.
!! PA is stupid slow! The only time they were fast was when I went to pendot in Harrisburg and had all my papers, vin rubbing and photo's in order to get my antique tag. They processed it then and there and I only waited 20 minutes!!!!!!!! I was lik :O

Back