period correct rims for 74 x?

The only correct standard rims were the steel ones.

Dealers added the slotted alloy ones regularly which looked terrible to me.

I honestly don't recall ever seeing any proper Italian alloys aside from once seeing these:

http://www.histowheels.com/Cromodora/Cromodora-CD-13/

In Europe one saw these on later cars:

http://www.histowheels.com/Cromodora/Cromodora-CD-58/

I have two of them and haven't really pursued finding the other two.

Honestly one could go with nearly any wheel that fits from the Histowheel site and feel pretty ok with having them. The Abarth CD30 looks great as do many of the complex Campy wheels.

The biggest problem is still the tires.

Not a pretty picture, but here is my 74 with it's steel rims
74x2.bmp

CD-31's were on my '74

Was delivered with the steelies, of course. But my dealer carried the Daytona's in the parts dept., and it wasn't too many months before I got them - at what, $75 each?

A few options...

Does anyone have the names or pics of the period correct rims for the 74 as sold in NA?

As others have said, the '74 USA X1/9's were originally sold with the steel wheels as shown in tim5055's photo (blue X). And those mofo's are heavy compared to all other "period" Fiat steel wheels! (probably the heaviest?)

While various Cromodora, Campagnolo & other-brand wheels were offered by smart USA dealers as "optional", the CD-58 was the Cromodora alloy wheel designated specifically for application on the early X1/9's - it even had the word "BERTONE" cast into the face of the outer rim. :thumbsup:

The large center/hub caps on the CD-58 came in aluminum or steel variations, & had either a CROMODORA or /F/I/A/T/ script engraved in the center, or no script at all (blank). The CROMODORA version cap is probably the rarer of the bunch, & happens to be my favorite, as well. :D

Sold mostly in Europe, some USA dealers stocked them as well, & there are still some sets of them that can be found floating around amongst the USA X-contingent. I've probably owned (then sold) about 15 sets of these at one time or another over the past 20+ years. I have no idea where any of those wheels are now... :sigh:

While the CD-58 is a nice lightweight magnesium wheel, the narrow 13"x5" size tends to limit the choice of tires being used (ie: no really w-i-d-e tires). This is a plus or a minus, depending on the car & its intended use.

Back