Picking up new '74 X1/9 in MD this weekend...

Sorry to hear about the "pit stop"

But WOW WOW WOW :shock2:
This X19 must surly be one of the best keept cars in the X world. :worship:

May we know the price please :whistle:

I hope everything works out for you guys so you can enjoy the rest of the trip.:dance2:

PS. My X from Budapest, passed inspection today, they didn't say a word about the Uno Turbo engine.

Thanks for all the kind comments...

I hope to go up soon and finish the trip with the car under its own power.

Finished the road trip last night...

Ok, so we didn't quite make it all of the way home last weekend. I wanted to do whatever possible to finish the trip in the X1/9 under it's own power. I felt it important to my sons to not give up and prove to them that the old FIAT could do it. I knew that the problem that left us stranded was not a major deal, the key was getting it figured out from 100 miles away.

In steps James Seabolt to offer his expertise in automotive repair. When we were deciding where to tow the car last weekend, I thought of James and gave hime a call. Being the nice guy he is, he offered to let me drop the crippled X1/9 off at his house. He even went further to say that since he was off for the next few days, he would look it over and see if he could figure out what the issue was. I had a good idea that it was ignition related so we started there.

James was methodical and checked many components, some of which I had already checked. This was good and is the sign of a good troubleshooter. It was determined that the problem was most likely the ignition as we had initially thought. This car still had the original points style ignition and that was the first thing I was going to swap when I got home.

James rummaged through the spare parts I have left for him and found what he needed and replaced the ignition. When he bumped the ignition, the car fired right up. Success! Thanks James.

We drove my Abarth to Kingsport yesterday evening and picked the car up. James gave me a ride in his Yugo from hell (man is that car fast). Blake drove the X1/9 home and it ran flawlessly. The car was running smoother than ever and the electronic ignition really made a difference in drivability and smoothness.

DSC0014-L.jpg

It felt good to get home late last night with the car under its own power and not on the back of a flatbed. thanks again James.

DSC0001-L.jpg

DSC0010-L.jpg

Blake is a happy guy...
DSC0012-L.jpg

DSC0016-L.jpg

I know...

The cool vintage color has me wanting to re-do my X1/9 in a bright color like this. Not sure what I would do though to match my leather interoir. I guess I need to concentrate on my wiring issues and not be thinking about paint. Hard not to though.

Blake is indeed growing up fast. He has been driving for a year (not counting permit time) and he has done well and proven himself very responsible. I suspect that we will start seeing him on the forum here. He is anti-technology though so computer time is not high on his list.

Blake is old school

I suspect that we will start seeing him on the forum here. He is anti-technology though so computer time is not high on his list.

I remember how much he liked that vintage arcade racing game in Chris' man cave.

IMG_0668.jpg

He has definitely grown up Brett. Back then, you could hardly see him in the seat of the game. ;)

Love it...

THanks for sharing that Jim. Fun times for sure. I think that breakdowns almost add to the fun of a trip, well maybe not but definitely the memory of a trip.

Thanks...

The story has just begun though. This X1/9 has only had one owner since late 1973 and we are beginning a new chapter in the life of the car. It is hard to describe how nice it is to drive an X1/9 that is so well preserved. I can only imagine what it must have been like in the early 70s among the barges of the time. THis car defines fun to drive.

Stay tuned to new chapters.

Call me when your in NJ

Hi Brett,
When and where in New Jersey are you visiting? I am located in Dover,NJ (upper north west). Maybe Arman and I can meet up with you. Call me at 973-590-6422. Can the Clio be registered and driven in the US? Congrats on the 74 X1/9.

Lou Teresi

congratulations Guys

DSC0095-L.jpg

Congratulations Brett, Blake,

Your child should feel proud of you, amazing photos, amazing X1 / 9!

Regards.

Hey Brett

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I try to look presentably for photo-ops but that particular day it was near 100F and the heat zapped all the life out of me so that's why I look beat down.

I meant to tell you, I used the wrong grease that goes between the control module and mounting pad. I went to O'Relieys asking for it specifically and the "D.A." who was working there told me di-electric grease was the same thing. I argued with him explaining it wasn't the same stuff but he insisted it was the same. So I asked an electronic guy I work with about it and he said it wasn't the same thing.

The nearest Radio Shack was 10 miles on the other end of town so I didn't have time to pick up any.

That module really doesn't get that hot but it's probably a good idea to apply the correct heat sink compound.

Go to Radio Shack and buy their "white" ceramic heat sink compound. About $7.00 for a tiny tube. The more expensive stuff is for thermocouples like microprocessors and is overkill for this application but will work.

By the way, if that Bosch control module craps out on you, you can easily substitute a $20 4 pin GM HEI module. The same module used on Fiat 124 Spiders with Marelli electronic distributors.

If they need a vehicle to go by just tell them you have a 1976 454 big block pickup truck. That's what I always use.

As you know I'm using the 5 pin version to act as a 10 degree boost retard on my Yugo turbo. I'll email you my hand written schematic, with your skills, if you care to make me a diagram that looks professional.

Folks, here is what it looks like mounted on the car:

100_1190.jpg

You can see there are only four (well five in my case) wires connected to it.

Red goes to + side of coil, Green goes to negative side and on the other side the green and brown wires goes to the pickup.

Note the ground wire that goes into the harness to the pickup is now connected to the pad with a ring terminal. I have no idea what the purpose of this ground wire is since the other end is not actually connected to anything. It just leads to no where. Maybe just wrapped around the other two wires to filter noise.

The polarities matter on the pickup wires but the car will either run or it won't so it's hard to screw that one up.

Also the tiny pin on the left side goes to a pressure switch which grounds the module at 1 PSI of boost which backs the timing off 10 degrees. Some have argued I need to spend $700 on an MSD system in order to do the same thing. The thing is, it's not their money. Brett offered me an MSD system but I actually turned it down because the HEI method is simple, takes up less room and works just as well.

More photos:

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/GM 5 PIN HEI module/

Radio Shack heat sink compound.

pic6.jpg

I hope you can complete your long trip without any problems. I have the same mission this weekend , in a 1986 X i will buy tomorrow, and my trip will be about 30 miles, in Puerto Rico. So I will need your best wishes too.

Good luck...

Be sure to share the story with us. I love to hear about successful trips like this. Even with the breakdowns, they are fun.

Back