Playing with the 3D printer

81x

X'ing Fixing
Hi,
A few months ago i bought a 3D printer, tought it will mostly serve my R&D firm but the child in me just want to play a bit :)
The printer is Ender 3, high VFM and alot of fun. Items quality is mostly depend on the software setup ("Cura" - free and simple), while it's not superb ofcourse, it will definitely be good enough for most parts. Right CAD planing is necessary, but we wont get into this now.
Had few ideas to improve the looks of my X.
First is a cap to the rims. Finding originals is hard and i'm planning on replacing them.
So just print one! (or 4)

Seconed is a part to hold the licance plate. Ever since i dropped those porches, i had an ugly solution with bolts, looked terrible. But i had to as the law require front plate installed.
So i designed a part that will fix to place to the holes in body and hide behind the plate.
Quite satisfied, but the plate sits lower than i wanted, as the current holes match the original bumper and i don't want to drill more holes. I'll order a new one later on.

The parts had not been surface finished and painted, you can see the layres of the printing there.

I'll be happy to share the files, PM me.
Small "warning" regard it - dimensions may change from car to car, rim to rim.
The rim lips for e.g., probably got few dents those long years, and maby the parts will need some adjustments.

Attachments

• 20190904_181601.jpg
    20190904_181601.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 20190904_181633.jpg
    20190904_181633.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 20190909_180159.jpg
    20190909_180159.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 20190909_180207.jpg
    20190909_180207.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 20190908_134446.jpg
    20190908_134446.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 20190908_192505.jpg
    20190908_192505.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 20190908_221736.jpg
    20190908_221736.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 20190909_170950 (3).jpg
    20190909_170950 (3).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 20190909_170954 (2).jpg
    20190909_170954 (2).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20190909_171005 (2).jpg
    20190909_171005 (2).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 129
Another thing you could do would be make a trans hole cover. I don't think those are available anywhere. Some people have fab'ed up some out of a nylon block I think. Its on my list of things to do. I have already had an almost scare by dropping a 10mm socket in there.

Oh! And one more thing. If you could make a CHMSL that fits above the targa bar and chrome molding and underneath the targa top. All it would need is to fit like 6" of red LED strip and allow for two wires to enter, as hidden as possible. This is also on my to do list.

Last edited:
Hi AKimball,
Do you mean this one? To be honest, i don't know if it's exist on my car.
But it's doable, i have a flexible PU to print with, just need to understand how hot it's there.
CHMSL is a good idea.

First is a cap to the rims. Finding originals is hard and i'm planning on replacing them.
Those wheel caps look great. Nice design.

For the front bumper, maybe make a slim piece that extends between the two bumpers and covers the body seam, with the license plate holder included.

I'm sure there are lots of little items that will come up that you could make for the car.

Reactions: 81x
Hi,
A few months ago i bought a 3D printer, tought it will mostly serve my R&D firm but the child in me just want to play a bit :)
The printer is Ender 3, high VFM and alot of fun. Items quality is mostly depend on the software setup ("Cura" - free and simple), while it's not superb ofcourse, it will definitely be good enough for most parts. Right CAD planing is necessary, but we wont get into this now.
Had few ideas to improve the looks of my X.

Seconed is a part to hold the licance plate. Ever since i dropped those porches, i had an ugly solution with bolts, looked terrible. But i had to as the law require front plate installed.
So i designed a part that will fix to place to the holes in body and hide behind the plate.
Quite satisfied, but the plate sits lower than i wanted, as the current holes match the original bumper and i don't want to drill more holes. I'll order a new one later on.

The parts had not been surface finished and painted, you can see the layres of the printing there.

I'll be happy to share the files, PM me.
Small "warning" regard it - dimensions may change from car to car, rim to rim.
The rim lips for e.g., probably got few dents those long years, and maby the parts will need some adjustments.

PRETTY COOOOOOL! & very creative, too!
You always have to make adjustments to your original plans, but that is part of the fun.
Creating your own parts makes your car more "yours" & more unique.
Our "toy" is a table top milling machine. Not as high tech, but a lot of fun as well.

Very nice work indeed.

The rim caps are excellent and the license plate holder is a great way to fill those holes.

It might be nice to make some end caps for the bumper ends as they look a bit unfinished. Perhaps a variation of the wheel caps to fill the bumper tube holes.

Keep at it.

It might be nice to make some end caps for the bumper ends as they look a bit unfinished.
I thought the same, but then looked again. I can't tell if they are hollow or if they are solid and that is just the lighting.

Thanks for your comments :)
About the front bumpers, it's end is actually closed, the pic is probably dark to see.
You can see the process attached.
I did received from Henk the bumpers end caps but thought they were more aggressive in real life than i saw in pictures.
Plus i kinda liked the way they just cut and continue to the next corner, seems light and sportier to my opinion, to reffer both Dr.Jeff and Karl's ideas.

Attachments

• 20181020_142649.jpg
    20181020_142649.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 70
Hi AKimball,
Do you mean this one? To be honest, i don't know if it's exist on my car.
But it's doable, i have a flexible PU to print with, just need to understand how hot it's there.
CHMSL is a good idea.

Why yes, yes I do. I did not realize it was available. I might have to add one to my cart the next time I make an order.

For the CHMSL I was thinking of taking design queues from the S550 Mustang or Fusion like this:
https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=5069

All it would need to be is like 3/4" tall. Tall enough for a LED strip and a plexiglass/polycarb lense to seal around the rim. The wires could route through the chrome trim or the targa seal and be very minimal. 3D printing would be so much quicker to build, trial, adjust, build. Ive shied away from the engine cover mount lights as they are too low in today's SUV dominated world. and under the targa mounted lights block key rear view visability. I've also considered seat mounted lights but those arent center mounted.

I got a red LED strip 12" x 3/8" for this, it's adhesive backed with a black backing; I thought about mounting it on the inside of the glass with clear double face tape, no holes. It has an 18" fine-gauge lead wire.
IMG_1096.JPG IMG_1098.JPG I haven't installed it yet.

I got a red LED strip 12" x 3/8" for this, it's adhesive backed with a black backing; I thought about mounting it on the inside of the glass with clear double face tape, no holes. It has an 18" fine-gauge lead wire.
View attachment 25246 View attachment 25249 I haven't installed it yet.
I have seen a few mounted to the glass. I thought about it too as an easy route but I simply use the top of the back glass too much for that to be the optimal design solution. I will sit and play around with different ideas. Not too much actual driver's seat time has been spent thinking about CHMSL's :rolleyes:

ALso, for your bumper delete, it looks like some nice small DRL's could be installed into those holes. I am sure something could fit, not look holy with an added safety measure to it too.

I have seen a few mounted to the glass. I thought about it too as an easy route but I simply use the top of the back glass too much for that to be the optimal design solution. I will sit and play around with different ideas. Not too much actual driver's seat time has been spent thinking about CHMSL's :rolleyes:

Didn't I read somewhere that the effectiveness of CHMSLs has been pretty much diluted to statistical nothingness now that virtually all vehicles have them? I'll have to see if I can find that again...

Ive shied away from the engine cover mount lights as they are too low
I know this does not address your design goals (it will be too low), but my solution is to add a "period correct" rear 'fog light' to the back of the car (example below). With the red lens, LED lights inside, and wired to the brake lights (adding one of those 3-pulse flash/solid display modules), I'm hoping it will get some attention of drivers behind. I agree it would be best to mount it up high like at the rear edge of the targa top, but I prefer the vintage look of this solution (I like this style lights on old Euro cars):

0dghj01.jpg

I also plan to add some daytime running lights at both ends of the car (amber up front and red in the back). For that I'll try to hide them by using the small LED units like this:

HT1LCyTFQtcXXagOFbXf.jpg

I found a lower profile version that does not have the 5mm step where it mounts, so it sits pretty much flush - making it easier to hide. Haven't decided the exact locations yet; front will likely be just behind the grill's upper corners, rear maybe behind the grill that I'm adding between the tail lights (for turbo heat ventilation).

LED strip fits the targa bar, but would not impede rear vision much on the glass
IMG_1410.JPG IMG_1415.JPG
This is just a 12" version, it could be full width of targa bar.

Didn't I read somewhere that the effectiveness of CHMSLs has been pretty much diluted to statistical nothingness now that virtually all vehicles have them? I'll have to see if I can find that again...

That'd be an interesting read. I have noticed for me, I tend to focus on people's CHMSL's for the indication of braking. When I come across a car that has theirs out, it sometimes takes me a brief moment longer to realize they are braking. . . . Especially at night.

Back