johnph

True Classic
Has anyone successfully fitted a hatchback type strut for the engine cover? If so, what length strut is needed? Part number? The standard loop spring shown in the pics does not allow my cover to open wide enough.
DSCN1805.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1806.JPG
    DSCN1806.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 142
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yes, but I can't say where. I might have been involved in doing it, but it's been too many years since I saw it to remember the details.

Here are a few links to others' projects. The last one is a ready made kit sold by our own Henk Martens.

I just squeeze the spring to get it off and use a cord I made that goes from the latch loop on the cover to the passenger side wiper post. That gets the cover open as far as it can go.

I have the kit from Henk and it works and looks great. It's not strong enough by itself to hold up the lid, but combined with the stock spring, perfect.

Go to your local RV/camper supply store, they usually have a good selection of sizes to choose from. Often used on things like RV rooftop carrier covers, pickup truck (hard clam-shell type) tonneau covers & camper shell rear (swing up/open) windows.

Hussein (Lookforjoe) has also documented this mod for the engine compartment, front trunk and the rear trunk lids.

There should be several different versions of this in BOX under the Body list.

another solution.......

Henk, excellent idea. I have a couple questions about it. Given the short length of the "gas strut" body, how far up does the lid travel? And given the amount if "push" force the strut must have to lift the lid from that leverage point (as Carl refers to), is there enough support behind the mounting points (especially on the lid) to prevent cracking/distortion of the sheet metal over time? Basically I'm wondering how this concept has tested functionally. My hope is everything has been proven to be good because I love the design. ;)

I used the same strut as for the Frunk 15" - 45lb (amazon link for pair)

Can't find a clearer pic at the mo - mounted on the hinge, and then moved to the side

EDIT: 2nd pic is with 75-78 cover - with newer cover, better to put the pivot on the flat above (3rd pic) so that the sides of the cover don't hit the sail moldings

Dallara-Rear00022.jpg

X19-0091.jpg

Dallara-Paint00204.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, this part is offered by a company in Germany, it is not my idea.
German X 1/9 drivers are very happy with it as it works great, I am just informing you but I cannot supply these

saluti,

Henk Martens

Hello, this part is offered by a company in Germany, it is not my idea.
German X 1/9 drivers are very happy with it as it works great, I am just informing you but I cannot supply these

saluti,

Henk Martens
My mistake Henk, I thought it was your product. Thank you for sharing it with us, even if it isn't from you. I'm guessing that company doesn't want anyone else selling it but themselves?

Back