Pop Quiz! Rear Hub Seal Orientation?

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
I checked the shop manuals in the Wiki but none of the exploded diagrams are detailed enough to answer this question. And I apologize if the sought info is provided in a previous thread on the topic, if it has, I was not able to unearth it after 1 min of searching.

Sooo, the question is: What is the correct orientation of the rear hub seals?

This way?

20230602_170943.jpg

Or this way?

20230602_170935.jpg

For a conventional oil seal for example, the rule of thumb is the lip goes toward the oil, but this one gives me pause.

There's an excellent write up by @lookforjoe here:
The seal lip always goes towards the bearing, but it actually presses against either the back shield/plate (#5 in the pic) or the retaining lock ring nut. The body part of the seal sits onto a shoulder of the respective drive shaft and hub.

There's an excellent write up by @lookforjoe here:
The seal lip always goes towards the bearing, but it actually presses against either the back shield/plate (#5 in the pic) or the retaining lock ring nut. The body part of the seal sits onto a shoulder of the respective drive shaft and hub.
Thanks! Now I remember Hussein's write-up. Standard search wasn't giving me much, I should have tried the enhanced Google search tool that Jim has enabled for us!😭

Last edited:
Hey Dan, I'm curious if those are OEM / Fiat seals or aftermarket? I ask because they appear a little different from the used original factory (Fiat) ones I recently removed. In your pics the "lip" appears thinner than the ones I had. But the pics might be deceiving. Makes no difference, I'm just wondering.

Hey Dan, I'm curious if those are OEM / Fiat seals or aftermarket? I ask because they appear a little different from the used original factory (Fiat) ones I recently removed. In your pics the "lip" appears thinner than the ones I had. But the pics might be deceiving. Makes no difference, I'm just wondering.
I sourced them from Eurosport UK a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure they are aftermarket as they came in a clear ziplock with Eurosport's internal stock number on them, as opposed to some sort of NOS FIAT packaging. They have a manufacturer part number on them, if you want I can either take a pic of it or just update this post with the textual info.

I normally strongly prefer using OEM but when it comes to parts/assemblies that contain perishable stuff like seals, in such case I think "fresh" aftermarket is (hopefully) better than ancient OEM.

Also, keep in mind once you start pushing the wheel bearing in. it's a one-way trip. if you try to remove them you will destroy them.

Back