Pop Up Sunroof Install?

lookforjoe

True Classic
After another (X1/9) thread where open-air was discussed, I figured it was time I actually looked into adding a sunroof to my wife's 500 - the lack of one is one of the main reasons I don't like to drive her car. A simple pop up would would, she's not fussy & doesn't really want me to mess with it anyway, so adding complexity of a sliding/electric panel would not be good.

I found on a 500 forum that Webasto has been used (link). I've emailed them with questions & request for pricing info.

P7049081.jpg

..that is the electric 300 series, so I have to assume the simple pop up 100 series would be fine.

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 8.24.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 8.24.57 AM.png

..... but, you never know. It does seem to me that the relatively narrow roof has a pretty hefty curve on either side that would make it difficult to fit a 30" wide panel.

There are US companies making/selling pop-ups in similar dimensions (15x30), (eBay link) but I can't seem to get specific info from them (CR Lawrence, in this case) on the curve of the frame they provide. I emailed them also. CRL-SFC 15x30 (# AP1530B5H)

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 8.44.32 AM.png

I did find a narrower version CRL-SFC 15x28 (# GS1528BH) , that may be more suitable in terms of width

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 8.42.25 AM.png

Curious if anyone on here has done this?

I can only add a little info on CRL. Although they are one of the largest suppliers of automotive glass accessories, they are run like a small company. By that I mean the people there are very down to earth and hands on. So you should be able to contact them directly to discuss your questions or concerns. The CRL reps I see at the trade shows have lots of personal experience installing their products. I'd give them a call rather than email, they are nice to talk with.

That being said, have you had any aftermarket sunroofs on prior vehicles? Personally I'm not a big fan of them. But that's not the question you asked so I'll just leave it at that.

By the way, I saw your post under the "new posts" listing and at first I did not realize it was part of the "Nuova 500" category. Knowing how you feel about people that add a aftermarket sunroof to the X1/9 targa top I was confused. :eek:

Last edited:
I can only add a little info on CRL. Although they are one of the largest suppliers of automotive glass accessories, they are run like a small company. By that I mean the people there are very down to earth and hands on. So you should be able to contact them directly to discuss your questions or concerns. The CRL reps I see at the trade shows have lots of personal experience installing their products. I'd give them a call rather than email, they are nice to talk with.

That being said, have you had any aftermarket sunroofs on prior vehicles? Personally I'm not a big fan of them. But that's not the question you asked so I'll just leave it at that.

By the way, I saw your post under the "new posts" listing and at first I did not realize it was part of the "Nuova 500" category. Knowing how you feel about people that add a aftermarket sunroof to the X1/9 targa top I was confused. :eek:

I have had aftermarket sunroofs. My favorite was on a '79 Volvo wagon I owned - previously installed, probably by selling dealer, I'd have to say - of the vinyl folding type (like the Hollandia 400) - very deep fore/aft trough, very well constructed guide tracks. Never leaked, ever. I did have to replace the vinyl eventually, but that is to be expected. When I worked for Volvo in the '80's, I also installed a Volvo-packaged 'accessory' pop-up sunroof (never offered for US market, for liability reasons, I'm sure) in a '85 turbo wagon - basically same design as these, pop-up & remove entirely feature. That was the first time I had ever cut a hole in perfectly good sheet metal (!)

Yeah, in a X1/9, not so much :D

Webasto replied - to say quite curtly, I might add, that no listing existed, and even if it did, one must purchase through a dealer - They did include the link to a dealer (Sunroof Doctor), so I checked out their website. They didn't list the small Webastos, however they listed all the CRL-SFC pop-ups, with better pricing than the same units show in a typical web search.

I called them, and they were very helpful - they told me that there is a 18x28 version that has a dual-contour intended for narrow/small roofs. Nice, since it's deeper fore/aft. So I bought it. They are sending me detailed install directions, and were able to have one shipped from MA, their NJ warehouse only had the flat version. I don't want one of the complex electric versions - just more **** to go wrong - and I know my wife likes to keep it simple anyway.

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 5.21.10 PM.png

I swear, google search just gets more commercial & irrelevant everytime I go looking for a reference. Trying to find directions on dropping the headliner, and the hits are all non-specific, mostly sales pitches from 'sponsored' sites.

fiatforum seemed to have several posts, but not one of them actually contains any relevent info.

Posted on Fiat500usa, see if any replies - there was a post from 2011 that no one ever chimed in on.

CRL 1828 arrived today, so I took it apart in preparation for the install

Pilkington glass
IMG-20200623-181946.jpg

outer frame w/seal, inner frame & reinforcement plate

IMG-20200623-181950.jpg

Put the sunroof in today.

Marked the centerline inside - their directions say to place the template inside first, and punch a hole 4" from the back on the centerline

IMG-20200624-114856.jpg

then template goes outside, placed on the punched mark dimple. Position checked in a number of points

IMG-20200624-120001.jpg

IMG-20200624-120023.jpg

Then outline the template

IMG-20200624-120305.jpg

tape around marking to protect edge - drill hole on the 4" marker -

IMG-20200624-121814.jpg

cut out with shears

IMG-20200624-123219.jpg

clean up cut & apply zinc primer

IMG-20200624-130728.jpg

Mark headliner 2" inside cut line

IMG-20200624-132334.jpg

cut out

IMG-20200624-132805.jpg

peel back headliner fabric 1" beyond cut opening

IMG-20200624-133408.jpg

cut headliner backing on roof cut line, then cut the extra .5" for the sunroof flange clearance

IMG-20200624-135024.jpg

fit outer panel, after applying supplied butyl, install inner frame & screws, remove excess butyl

IMG-20200624-161651.jpg

trim headliner fabric so that about .5" will stretch & tuck into frame channel - retainer molding goes in after hinges

IMG-20200624-163347.jpg

forward hinges installed

IMG-20200624-164746.jpg

IMG-20200624-171728.jpg

rear hinge also installed

IMG-20200624-173123.jpg

Retainer molding for headlamp fabric

IMG-20200624-173138.jpg

glass installed

IMG-20200624-173253.jpg

End result

IMG-20200624-181638.jpg

IMG-20200624-181643.jpg

IMG-20200624-181631.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice job. Nice documentation.

I was never bothered by these, well installed they don’t tend to leak, don’t have drain tubes to block and no reduction in interior height.

So are you more likely to drive it now?

Very nice job. Nice documentation.

I was never bothered by these, well installed they don’t tend to leak, don’t have drain tubes to block and no reduction in interior height.

So are you more likely to drive it now?

Absolutely :D We took a short drive in the evening - it's so much nicer just to have that open feeling with the light above. It really is a nice handling car (albeit underpowered compared to my Volvo), and so pretty in the burnt red.

Now I have to make sure to do the heated seats I bought kits for 5 years ago....

Wow, you are brave Hussein! I was terrified just reading your post on the install. I am not sure that I could muster up the nerve to cut a hole in the roof of my car. You really did a nice job and the end result looks very nice.

Just out of curiosity, do you think that the sunroof that you used would be able to be installed into the targa top of an X1/9? I know that these kind of sunroofs have been installed in the targa top before but I was wondering if the one that you used would be the right size and shape curvature wise for the X1/9 targa top or if there was a better option available. I always thought that a really nice fitting sunroof like this would be a nice addition to the targa top to add extra light and open air feel to the car while having the top on.

I put a similar sunroof in my 69 Mustang when I was 19. Good job Hussein. Of course a "good job" is expected from you now.

Wow, you are brave Hussein! I was terrified just reading your post on the install. I am not sure that I could muster up the nerve to cut a hole in the roof of my car. You really did a nice job and the end result looks very nice.

Just out of curiosity, do you think that the sunroof that you used would be able to be installed into the targa top of an X1/9? I know that these kind of sunroofs have been installed in the targa top before but I was wondering if the one that you used would be the right size and shape curvature wise for the X1/9 targa top or if there was a better option available. I always thought that a really nice fitting sunroof like this would be a nice addition to the targa top to add extra light and open air feel to the car while having the top on.

I still have the template. I will lay it on the Targa next time I have the X uncovered & check it. It might be too large. It is also about an inch deep, so headroom will be lost. Personally, I'd never do it purely because of the extra weight.

I'll post be here after I check the template.

EDIT: based on my targa cutting pics - it would just fit for/aft/. I never bothered noting the width, so that will need to be measured

IMG_7689.jpg

Last edited:
Back