Possible false air source

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
So my 86 has had what I believed was a false air issue since I re-acquired the car a few years ago. I don't drive it much, so I only poke around occasionally. Today I decided to take another look as I get it ready for the MWB open house.

I wonder if this AAV hose could be the issue? :cool:

20220528_120131.jpg20220528_120120.jpg

Just a slight split.

Last edited:
Yep. Idles on startup now without playing with the pedal position for 2 minutes.

2 layers of gorilla tape followed by a tight and tidy electrical tape layer. Now i am off to order the proper hose.

What is the proper hose Jim?
It is the hose that runs from the AAV (near the t-stat housing) to the intake log. MWB doesn't have the exact hose (correct side, but for an AC car), but I may have one around here somewhere. I really should look on my many shelves before I order anything. :D I could probably splice a workable hose together if I have enough pieces on hand. Also, McMaster-Carr sells what appears to be the proper tubing. So that is an option as well if they have it in an appropriate diameter.

For now, the tape job is working great. I reset the idle screw and took a long test drive. All went very well. The car even hot started without pedal pumping or any trickery after I got home. Amazing!

It is the hose that runs from the AAV (near the t-stat housing) to the intake log. MWB doesn't have the exact hose (correct side, but for an AC car), but I may have one around here somewhere. I really should look on my many shelves before I order anything. :D I could probably splice a workable hose together if I have enough pieces on hand. Also, McMaster-Carr sells what appears to be the proper tubing. So that is an option as well if they have it in an appropriate diameter.

For now, the tape job is working great. I reset the idle screw and took a long test drive. All went very well. The car even hot started without pedal pumping or any trickery after I got home. Amazing!
OK, I found the proper hose on the unfinished 78X FI project in the corner. I will "borrow" that hose until I can get another. Fortunately, the 78 won't be needing that hose any time soon.

Back