Possible option for those "short" fuses

Very true.

In my first career as a MBA I spent some time managing the engineering function for the space shuttle build. I remember the first time I went onto the assembly floor where the wire harnesses were being made. I almost started laughing; after years of working on automotive harnesses I expected the aerospace to be on some complete other level of sophistication. Instead it resembled a grade school science project. Like a big step backward compared to the German cars I typically worked on in those days. So perhaps my early background with car harnesses has left me with a bit skewed expectations.

Very true.

In my first career as a MBA I spent some time managing the engineering function for the space shuttle build. I remember the first time I went onto the assembly floor where the wire harnesses were being made. I almost started laughing; after years of working on automotive harnesses I expected the aerospace to be on some complete other level of sophistication. Instead it resembled a grade school science project. Like a big step backward compared to the German cars I typically worked on in those days. So perhaps my early background with car harnesses has left me with a bit skewed expectations.
Design engineers sometimes dismiss manufacturing engineers, but they often are not as good at actually making stuff.

I bet there were some really excellent design engineers working on that. 😁😆😂

Sorry doc, when I first read the thread title I thought you were looking for ideas on how to deal with neighbors who get angry real easy.

Sorry doc, when I first read the thread title I thought you were looking for ideas on how to deal with neighbors who get angry real easy.
I guess the solution would be the same; remove them and replace with better ones that fit the needs better. :p

It occured to me. When the Lada fuse panel swap is done on a early model (where the Lada part has enough circuits), it still requires a little bit of rewiring. Mostly making some additional jumpers for the "power input" side. So it would not be difficult to do similar changes (some rewiring and reassigning of circuits) to allow the same Lada panel to work in the later X's - the ones with the ceramic "bullet" fuses but more circuits. Provided the more critical relay modes are also made, and depending on how they are performed. By adding appropriate relays to take the load off of the ignition switch, they move to load elsewhere....also requiring a fuse. Typically this is accomplished by adding a extra generic aftermarket fuse panel somewhere. Once that is done the old circuits have considerably less load. Therefore you could combine some of them on one fuse (vs the original layout where they were one separate fuses). This decreases the number of needed fuses on the main panel, and therefore will enable the use of the Lada part with less circuits.

So it may come down to what mods each person wants to do, and which approach makes more sense; either changing the style of prongs on the original panel (as I described at the beginning of this thread), or swapping to the Lada panel and making other mods accordingly.

My Lada panel is on the way.. Everytime I jiggle wires near the old panel it causes all kinds of problems. That and crummy terminal crimping job from PO. And no more short fuses to mess with.

My Lada panel is on the way.. Everytime I jiggle wires near the old panel it causes all kinds of problems. That and crummy terminal crimping job from PO. And no more short fuses to mess with.
Sounds like the problem may be partially due to the terminals themselves. Installing the Lada panel is a good time to redo those terminals. I found some of the factory ones were faulty so check all of them. If you don't already have it, consider getting the crimping tool and terminals that are the "double crimp" type. That is the type all car manufacturers use:
56226__55462.jpg

Back