Potentially good news for X owners in California

It is already being done in Car rental fleets (only the rental company is collecting the fee's) their is a big legal debate going on over this one.
The last couple years we didn’t have to pay the $30 charge for the etest. FREE? NOPE!!! Our yearly licence fee went up $50!! AND, the $30 etest fee was every 2 years, but the licence fee is every year! Now they’ve stopped the etest, but they have’nt lowered the licence fee!! Also, our. Safety inspection only has to be done once when you buy a used car! Never has to be done again unless the cops pull your plates ‘cuz they think it’s unfit! Sadly, our government is more concerned with emissions than safety! I’ve seen some pretty rough cars on the road here!!

Big brother is watching you... Now, you get insurance rebates if you accept an apps that will give the insurer a feedback on our driving habit. Then, the next year, you will get a quote based on your bad or good driving. Then, maybe some insurance company will sell the results, government will be all over it and before we knew we could get tickets for speeding determined by a GPS...
Just saw an article about "black boxes" and US Gov regulation:
https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/201...mail&utm_content=200626&utm_campaign=eNews3.5

Calif is considering moving the SMOG testing exemption from the current rule of '76 and older vehicles, to pre '83 vehicles. That would open up a lot of X1/9's from smog requirements.

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/201...mail&utm_content=197503&utm_campaign=eNews3.5
Unfortunately, this has been pushed several times in the past (in Ca.) and failed. The original law was supposed to be 30 years or 6% or less of a particular year vehicle on the road (still) would be exempt. I feel Kalaforignya will NEVER drop the requirement of smog testing due to the $$$ it brings in. The "stop" on the original law (allowing older vehicles to register) was supposed to be temporary. It has now been in place for over 25 years. The only positive has been just a "codes" check on 1999 or older (if it has a reader). BTW, the smog shops still pull full price for even a "code read". Scam as usual.

True, there has been a number of variations in the CA smog laws over the years, and many failed attempts at changing things again. Starting when the "rolling" year exemption ended is when things seemed to get out of hand with increased regulations. At the moment I'm no longer in CA and my current state is a little more tolerant. But this is only temporary for me so not sure what my future will hold. Especially since I have multiple vehicles that are exempt here but would not be if I returned there.

I hear ya Jeff. Built and converted an '86FI to dual webers a couple years ago. I had it under a PNO in Ca., in my name. Brought it to my pal in Ohio, he registered it, no questions asked the same week I brought it to him. Badda-bing. I hate what a rip-off Ca. is with smog and reg. On the other hand, there is NO comparison to today's air quality and, say, 1975 Los Angeles. Getting beaters which refuse to die (no rust to kill them) off the road because of gross polluting... So, give and take I guess.

Back