Preparing For Dallara Body Kit

I was looking at the images pretty carefully, I can easily say you have done a great job. Details look consistent, surfaces are true and so far as I can see with limited imagery the curves are fair (not fair in terms of work but fair in terms of continuity which means they are correct/right/pleasing). Really nice job. As my friend Scott Stickle would say, I am suitably impressed :)

I would love to see it in person but I can't get away to Carlisle, despite it having been on my list for a very long time.

I was looking at the images pretty carefully, I can easily say you have done a great job. Details look consistent, surfaces are true and so far as I can see with limited imagery the curves are fair (not fair in terms of work but fair in terms of continuity which means they are correct/right/pleasing). Really nice job. As my friend Scott Stickle would say, I am suitably impressed :)

I would love to see it in person but I can't get away to Carlisle, despite it having been on my list for a very long time.

Thank you.

I'm not going to be able to get to FFO this year with it - we recently were informed that my daughter & her family are moving to Kuwait this fall for teaching jobs, so we'll be stopping in Florida to see them before they leave over the FFO time frame.

Bummer. Missing for all the right reasons. You would certainly be one of the talks of the show.

Next year it might be closer to the east coast so it will be a bit easier to attend, maybe less competition from the Abarth X :)

Good luck to them and enjoy Carlisle. There is also the Midwest Bayless on June 10, another event I never get to due to work unfortunately.

Last edited:
Noticed an issue with the front fender rearward edge seam - both sides there is some stress cracking above the crease line. I'll have to cut it back & re-expoxy - must have cut back the fibreglass to the point where it's too thin - with all the jarring potholes we have I'm kinda surprised that's the worst of it.

Carlisle 2017

DallaraNose00140.jpg

Last edited:
Not much happening with the very cold Spring. Been pretty stir crazy - even though I have plenty of GIJoe heads to flock, and accessories to repair, I just need to make stuff, which means time outside or in the cold garage. Has been a couple of “warmer” afternoons (40’s - low 50’s) where I started sanding the bodywork while I figure out whether I’m actually gonna paint it or have someone do it.

Thinking about scoops, air intake ducts, etc., as a result of Jeff’s thread. So, I decided to make a duct to feed into the filler neck side chamber - as that feeds the nose of my K&N Xtreme air filter.

3_E6494_C5-_BAA6-4_B61-8285-_A960_C9307_FDE.jpg

Mock-up

537590_C5-8_D35-4_E46-_B276-_A92_FB75_EC686.jpg

6_BC58_B6_C-_C7_C3-475_D-_A0_CA-5_FB005_A91_C34.jpg

Aluminum assembly - welded and then filed back to contour, etc.

EFF28_BA3-_A75_D-46_D2-9749-_B19531_D2_ADC0.jpg

72_F0_CD63-84_B5-47_CE-83_A8-166_EE864_A48_B.jpg

I needed to make it “saddle” the 1/4 panel / sail trim - it looked odd with lesser height.
058_E9_D06-9_F04-485_E-_BFFA-3509_D70_AE903.jpg

Filed back as smooth/even as possible, then light Schmear of bondo followed by spot putty to take care of divits. I was undecided on whether the outward curve was necessary- I didn’t do any airflow / string tests to see if air naturally draws in past the sail panel or not. I figured it couldn’t hurt, besides, I’m not doing this again :D

54371_D2_F-_A996-42_B2-_B191-_F30_FFD65986_A.jpg

Trying to make sure it flows with the engine cover (which has a slight fore/aft curve I discovered ) upward taper, fender edge, etc - contoured the back end to flow with the rearward fender curve.
61_F57324-_ADE1-487_D-953_B-8_AED121_A2_AB0.jpg

ED70835_A-_BB93-4_BE4-_B6_DA-5_EB2_BA170_CA9.jpg

I guess this will get painted before the car, or maybe not. I need to open up the side vent & add elementary air guides to funnel the air through the existing opening in the inner panel

To illustrate that it in no way interferes with engine lid or comes close to the sail

34_B2034_F-15_FB-4067-8_DFE-602_CCDE7_EBED.jpg

Last edited:
Nice aluminum fabrication work. Looks even better than what I imagined from the mock-up, and I liked that.

Depending how much air it collects, would it benefit from opening-up this hole?
3_E6494_C5-_BAA6-4_B61-8285-_A960_C9307_FDE.jpg

Nice aluminum fabrication work. Looks even better than what I imagined from the mock-up, and I liked that.

Depending how much air it collects, would it benefit from opening-up this hole?
View attachment 10576

Thank you. I’m considering opening it up, but given it’s already as large as the filter end entrance, I’m not sure that is worth the effort.

I worked on this today. I added air guides to the inner lid to aid in funneling the air into the lower cavity. There is another at the rear that I didn’t get a pic of, to assist in directing the air toward.

00_DAEAF5-_B2_DA-4593-8919-00_AA7_FD0_A107.jpg

Cut out that inner vent lip, and opted to bond the funnel to the cover. Had to strip the end cap to bare metal to allow the Fusor expoxy to do its job. Cap is riveted along bottom edge, and one at the upper forward underside. Won’t be going anywhere once the epoxy cures.

AE81_B978-_DE6_C-42_AB-8013-8_D7_ECD971_AD2.jpg

Needs 4-5 hours clamp time for setting.. so I taped the top rear, pulling it snug to the engine cover end cap along the top (funnel) line. Should be set by morning, and fully cured by tomorrow afternoon since the temps will go into the low 60’s again in the afternoon.
14_C076_DA-_F31_E-4_ACD-98_E5-77_D4_AD65_DAA7.jpg

EA04702_A-8290-47_A9-_AD3_B-7_E124_BA71_BBF.jpg

Last edited:
I have an idea but you may not want to hear it as it would require more work but it would allow you to dump air onto the air filter

I have an idea but you may not want to hear it as it would require more work but it would allow you to dump air onto the air filter

Always open to other suggestions - however the side duct does have a funnel feeding air up to the filter as it as. This work may all be for naught - I have no practical data to support my suppositions regarding whether this will actually feed additional air to any meaningful degree :D

I’m considering opening it up, but given it’s already as large as the filter end entrance, I’m not sure that is worth the effort.
I was thinking in terms of reducing any resistance to the movement of the air, therefore allowing the best possible volume of flow. Compare the scoop's intake opening surface area with the round hole's surface area, that might help determine if it will help to open it more.

Karl, what's your thought?

I have no practical data to support my suppositions regarding whether this will actually feed additional air to any meaningful degree
It really can't hurt anything to have it, so why not. It should offer SOME benefit, and it looks good. Nuff said.

Lest we not forget.. "more air requires more fuel" to be a benefit.

As I have noted many (many) moons ago... I used the driver's-side, side duct as a sealed input to the stock air cleaner, with its snorkel cut back to affix a 2 1/2" flexible (heater) duct hose. I used a soup can as an adapter on the plastic side vent, riveted and then sealed with duct-tape (what else?), then sprayed the whole thing with flat black so as not to be noticed. Three feet of duct was all that was needed.

Inside the stock air cleaner is a P/N 2710 K&N filter and each one of these modifications "appeared" to make a difference... according to my But-tom-o-meter. All else is stock on my engine save for a slightly larger Weber 32 using the stock metering Rods and Air Correcter's found in the Weber 28/30.

(Also, the grid-work in both side vents has been removed and the smog equipment fell off... Only the right side vent cools the engine compartment but seems to be adequate, and the rain tray fell off as well... and while we're at it, all the rubber protective flaps under the car fell off too. Since I live in such a literally dry climate with higher temps all year... all this stuff works well.)

Just sayin'... I recommend this scoop be sealed and directly feed into the FI or Carb.

Nice to hear from you, Tony !

Not feeling great today. Probably has something to do with the fact that more than 1/2 of my AP 2D art students only have a week to wrap up their theme/concentration art work, and many are behind :(

All I did after work was a light sand and finish on the duct and lid connection, and got some primer over the bare metal before the rain starts tomorrow. Have detail work still to do in the inlet flange.

DF5_FE847-3_F89-4_C9_D-88_E6-_ED1_CBD88_B3_F9.jpg

9_E95_BFDB-_D317-44_D7-_B17_A-27_C36_E9_D3_FFC.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Hussein.

Yeah, I have been infrequent on Xweb just as I have been with my rides. Getting stuff done around this new property of ours is much harder than I thought. I used to do everything myself but now I haveta FORCE people to take my money... and they claim they have no work.

Anyway... we are vacationing for the first time in about 6 years... and its turning out to be more work and $$$ than I expected as well. I think all this grumbling crap coming from me is 'cause I turned 70 a few days ago and I'm really starting to feel it.

BTW, you oughta bring your art students by the house so they can apply their talents to your car with some bondo and the like... or even wet-sanding. Hopefully you get that painted soon... as ya know I can't stand primer black! HA!

My best regards...

Gotta say I hate sanding. Guess I'm too ADHD.
Hope I'm agreeing with you when I say I wasn't a fan of the flat black either. I don't recall if you mentioned what the color will be?

Gotta say I hate sanding. Guess I'm too ADHD.
Hope I'm agreeing with you when I say I wasn't a fan of the flat black either. I don't recall if you mentioned what the color will be?

I don't like sanding either. I want the panels to look uniform & even. Can't prime the whole car until all the details are done though, and all the trim & windshield will have to come out first. The black was temporary, wasn't planning on it being on as long as it was. Car will be Volvo Passion Red. It's close enough to the existing red that I don't feel the need to paint the frunk or engine bay.

volvo-c30-r-design-frankfurt-2011-01.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018-07-15_at_9.45.59_AM.png

Last edited:
Back