Preparing For Dallara Body Kit

Hopefully there will be no REAL issues... I'm sure you can solve any with these wheels and tires though.

Thanks for your input, Tony.
In the end, there was really not much choice, keeping the rolling OD as close as possible without exceeding 23". I have no personal experience with BFG's, so well see how it goes down the road...

Ordered the coilover parts from Bicknell

BRP600B x2
BRP601B x2
BRP598 x4
BRP602 x4

I have two VW Cabriolet strut assys. to work with, just need to locate another pair.

Last edited:
I installed a Dallara kit from Matt

I have the Dallara kit on order.

Related/reference threads so far:

Restoration Inspiration Dallara Kit For Sale..? What's involved in fitting Dallara Kit?

Strut Info needed DIY Coilovers

I'll use this thread to determine/document all the odds & ends I need to resolve for the install.

My main concerns right now are finding wheels that will work well, whether custom (DiamondRacing, etc) or Honda aftermarket, etc that are readily available, and figuring out the correct spacers based on that.

I've messaged a few folks that I found with Dallara type body kits to hopefully get some specific wheel/spacer info based on their experience.

I'm going to do DIY coilovers, based on and with info provided by Doug (rx1900).

I'm trying to wrap my head around the permutations that arise with varying wheel offsets and backspacing, the relationship of the two, and how to do the math to figure all that out. I hate math. It doesn't come readily to me, so what may be an obvious computation for many requires pictures, diagrams charts, etc., for it to make any sense to me.

Charlie (Serpent Auto) suggested I stick with 4bolt - 4bolt spacers. I had asked him about the feasibility of going from 4x98 to 5x108 (to possibly use Volvo wheels :nuts:) So if not custom wheels from Diamond or similar, then likely 4x100 to take advantage of all the Honda stuff.

Problem with that is the lack of dish on FWD based offset wheels.

Matt's backspacing recommendations:

"Regarding the wheels.

Front: 15x7 - 87mm backspacing. 195/45/15 or 195/50/15 tire.

Rear 15x9 - 100mm backspacing with 225/45/15, or 245/40/15"

Some diagramatic examples:

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-07%20at%2012.23.24%20PM_zpsrejpxzze.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-07%20at%2012.23.48%20PM_zpsg3utyt4y.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-07%20at%2012.24.38%20PM_zpssqsutlsj.png

Example of offset permutations on Diamond's website:

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-07%20at%2012.21.54%20PM_zpsqoxrsewn.png

So, any input would be most appreciated!

I used wheel spacer from Adaptitusa to fit the wheels' back spacing and change the bolt pattern to 100mm. See
4x98to4x100wheeladapter
Bought Drag wheels like these
http://www.blackrimsntires.com/Drag...Wheels:drag-dr-44-gun-metal-machined-lip-15-7
That had 5.5 inch backspace, so I needed at least a 1.5 in spacer. Don't remember what size I finally got, but I have 205 50r15 in rear and 195 50 r15 in front.

I used wheel spacer from Adaptitusa to fit the wheels' back spacing and change the bolt pattern to 100mm. See
4x98to4x100wheeladapter
Bought Drag wheels like these
http://www.blackrimsntires.com/Drag...Wheels:drag-dr-44-gun-metal-machined-lip-15-7
That had 5.5 inch backspace, so I needed at least a 1.5 in spacer. Don't remember what size I finally got, but I have 205 50r15 in rear and 195 50 r15 in front.

Thank you for the input :) I have already ordered for mine, however do look good!

I threw out my old struts last fall - don't know why, I don't usually throw ANYTHING away for at least a year :sigh:

Anyway, I did post in the FS & W forum, but if anyone has F or R struts & the perch hardware (cone, flat washer, etc) I am looking for a set of four now...

rims

awesome looking wheels papa tony.
I have three sets of wheels here that fill the dallara fenders, but the problem...... finding a source for the tires.
they don't make a 235/50/13 anymore. and as much as I hate to say it...ya gonna havta jump up in rim diameter.
I has to buy a set of 225/45/13's for the rear from Europe by way of Canada.

flairs

sorry to say, but when you get the flairs expect a little disappointment.
most likely the upper part of the flair will be curved away from the body. not really a problem, part of the process of manufacturing.
it is workable... just an awcrap moment.
for the bonding, I recommend "lord" fusor 141 and 108b. it's not cheap, but the bonding is excellent.
I can go into hella detail on the best way to mount them...
best to e mail me as I have taken a lotta space here.
mikemo
mikemo90*aol.com

sorry to say, but when you get the flairs expect a little disappointment.
most likely the upper part of the flair will be curved away from the body. not really a problem, part of the process of manufacturing.
it is workable... just an awcrap moment.
for the bonding, I recommend "lord" fusor 141 and 108b. it's not cheap, but the bonding is excellent.
I can go into hella detail on the best way to mount them...
best to e mail me as I have taken a lotta space here.
mikemo
mikemo90*aol.com

Hi

I'll send you an email. Do you have pics of what you are describing?

See my reply to your FS&W post

I have a complete set of struts. Let me know if you want them.

I have no personal experience with BFG's, so well see how it goes down the road...

You should be happy with the BFG's I have a set of the 225/45/15's on my Miata for street tires and they're quite good on grip, they were one of the top tires for street tire class autox last year. I just wouldn't expect them to last a long time. Depending on how you drive of course, they never seem to last for me...:laugh:

Coilover parts coming in

Wheels, tuner lugs and extended studs (12x1.25x3.75" total length)

I had to replace the Koni adjustable inserts in my wagon today - been knocking for a couple months (only got 24k out of them :( ) - I have custom Coilovers in that that also use 2.5" coils - and a nice pivot bearing / perch that I think I can adapt for the X1/9 setup

Volvo setup 7" 2.5" 400lb/3" 200lb helper
V70AWD_00001.jpg

It uses a stock Volvo pivot bearing (# 3530341) that is readily available for about $15 a side. I may buy the entire camber setup & mod it, or just get the perch & bearing seat for above, and make that work with the fiat rubber mount, I dunno yet.

V70AWD_00081.jpg

For the Volvo they designed a superb CAD contoured upper plate that matches the strut housing exactly

V70AWD_00082.jpg

Top view of camber adjust

V70AWD_00084.jpg

Easier with the X, since it's flat.

Last edited:
Some working sketches to figure out Coilover layout. Credit to rx1900 for all his work on this.

overall layout of his design
top mount layout using rx1900's design
revised top mount design to include pivot & perch available from Kaplhenke Racing as pictured in previous post. I don't want to deal with camber plates. To make this work I just need to make a modified cone with a seat/guide collar for the pivot bearing

EDIT: only have the sketches I made of the layout. All the photos are gone

IMG_6576.jpg

IMG_6577.jpg

IMG_6572.jpg

IMG_6573.jpg

IMG_6574.jpg

IMG_6575.jpg

Last edited:
Those STR wheels are gorgeous. It would be sweet to have the wide deep dish in the front and back. I didnt see any prices though.

Those STR wheels are gorgeous. It would be sweet to have the wide deep dish in the front and back. I didnt see any prices though.

Probably because if you have to ask, you can't afford them ;)

Ordered a deck lid w/FAZA lip today :) Mine has rust all along the back edge that I already patched once a couple years ago. Don't want that with the new body panels :D

DallaraRear00061.png

Last edited:
Ducktail spoiler on Dallara body

I've long thought the Dallara wing was too much visually although it probably does the job from an aerodynamic point of view.

I think the Prototipo rear spoiler works well with the Dallara "flares".

So...where is the body kit? Any ideas on delivery date?

I've long thought the Dallara wing was too much visually although it probably does the job from an aerodynamic point of view.
I think the Prototipo rear spoiler works well with the Dallara "flares".
So...where is the body kit? Any ideas on delivery date?

I asked them to wait until after April 7 to ship, assuming it's ready by then - I'll be in FL visiting with my daughter & latest grandson for this coming week :sun:

HUSSEIN... Dallaras have WINGS, not FAZA DUCKTAILS...

Whatzamatterfor you anyway?

Have Georgie build ya one...

Tell'um I sent ya and ask for the Senior Discount...

Red... call or write Compomotive in the UK...

They useta stock them and they were actually quite reasonable considering what they are... Hopefully they can pop a set for ya.

A set of these TCA's were gonna run about $700 - $800 shipped to CA a few years back... I'm sure 15 x 8 and 15 x 12 STR's are gonna cost a bit more.

The "right" wheels do make a car...

Working on the coilovers...

Cut the X1/9 collars off the struts..

Remove the VW spring seats

Remove the VW spindle collar

Press X1/9 Collar onto VW tube...

Basic setup - 10" coil - have to make a collar to locate the pivot bearing inner race & the Fiat cone that seats in the upper mount. Raising the lower perch 1 5/8" will remove spring slack. Pic has a old grinder wheel on top for now.

Perch with Volvo pivot bearing

Have to get new inserts - probably going to go with Bilstein B8's (34-184530) unless something else turns up on the VW forum. Or, I may buy Tokico BZ1073's, as those are a known quantity as far as fitment is concerned .

Last edited:
Stripped the second VW housing today. Two more are coming from CA, hopefully they have less rust than these East coast examples.

My variation on Doug's process was just to use a 4 1/2 angle grinder to remove the strut spindle mount collars. Held at an angle thus:

& rotate the spindle in a large vice, grinds through the weld very quickly

The collar can then be easily pried off the spindle. I just used a wide coarse hand file to clean up the spindle, as illustrated in the previous post.

Last edited:
Back