Preparing For Dallara Body Kit

Mostly small stuff again today. Stripped the windshield trim again, filled, primed, sanded & painted them. Not perfect, but good enough.

Dallara_Paint00174.jpg

Trimmed the trunk lid spoiler undersides where they come close to the fender.

Install frunk seal.

Problems with the paint on the DS mirror also. Futzed with that for some time, sanding, cleaning, repainting.

Applied base to the inside of the engine cover, and the trunk lid inner.

Clear coated the engine cover & the trunk lid inner. Reinstalled trunk lid, seal & adjust.

Dallara_Paint00175.jpg

Dallara_Paint00176.jpg

Clear coated door handles & mirrors.

Test fit the PS door handle. Not feeling the chrome lock cylinder. Didn't want to paint the entire thing red.

Dallara_Paint00171.jpg

blacked out the cylinder

Dallara_Paint00172.jpg

Dallara_Paint00173.jpg

Finished up the window frames

Dallara_Paint00177.jpg

Finished painting the misc trim pieces

Dallara_Paint00178.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the rest of the body sanded and mayber start putting the trim back on.

Put the car in the street yesterday.
DallaraPaint00179.jpg

DallaraPaint00180.jpg

DallaraPaint00181.jpg

More small steps today.

Sanded & cut, polished the windshield frame & cowl. Installed the A pillar trim and the Targa seal. Windsheild trim will be glued next.

DallaraPaint00183.jpg

Installed the Fixed Glass / window channels.

DallaraPaint00182.jpg

Wet sanded & cut the PS fender, door, sill & upper nose panel. Installed the PS rocker trim & xpel film on the sill. Need to use cutting & fine polishes next.

DallaraPaint00185.jpg

Installed the taillamps. Still need to wet sand & cut the entire rear panel

DallaraPaint00186.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Getting close now. Cut & polished the DS door. Installed the door handles, locks & catches. Polished the nose upper, the PS fender & PS door.

Repainted the outer door trims & cleaned the glass seal strips. Added small sections where there were gaps on both sides.

Dallara_Paint00188.jpg

Dallara_Paint00189.jpg

Installed the windshield trim with 3M VHB 4991 (1/2", 1.9mm thick) adhesive tape
Dallara_Paint00190.jpg

Painted the brushed aluminum "Bertone" sail tags black, with red "b" accent.

Dallara_Paint00187.jpg

Tomorrow I need to get the headlamps and markers back in, and reassemble the doors. Also need to cut & polish the rear panel & PS 1/4 still.

Thanks guys.

Getting close now. Cut & polished the DS door. Installed the door handles, locks & catches. Polished the nose upper, the PS fender & PS door.

Repainted the outer door trims & cleaned the glass seal strips. Added small sections where there were gaps on both sides.

Dallara_Paint00188.jpg

Dallara_Paint00189.jpg

Installed the windshield trim with 3M VHB 4991 (1/2", 1.9mm thick) adhesive tape
Dallara_Paint00190.jpg

Painted the brushed aluminum "Bertone" sail tags black, with red "b" accent.
What windshield trim is this where can i get it
Dallara_Paint00187.jpg

Tomorrow I need to get the headlamps and markers back in, and reassemble the doors. Also need to cut & polish the rear panel & PS 1/4 still.

Remember that VHB is a PSA so it needs around 20 psi force to get it to properly wet out. The thick tape (1.9mm) you used should do a good job of conforming to irregularities.

Use a wallpaper roller or similar roller to apply pressure.

Wasted about 3 hours ( I did get to completely organize all my M6 and smaller machine and screw hardware though :D ) this morning trying to find the correct screws for the door seal - targa seal elbow. I bought the early style elbows from MWB a couple years ago, and the center strip recently, so I figured it would be a good time to put them on. Ended up going to HD for #4 stainless screws. These elbows required drilling new holes, the later elbows were secured further inboard.

Dallara_Paint00191.jpg

Dallara_Paint00192.jpg

After that, I cut a Volvo V70 door seal for the pass door, put the sill plates back in.

After that, I put seam sealer on the inner nose seams and then started on sanding & polishing the spoiler & lower nose section.

Dallara_Paint00192a.jpg

That done, I put the grille, the headlamp housings, horns, and markers back in.

Dallara_Paint00196.jpg

Dallara_Paint00193.jpg

Still have to cut & polish the rear and PS 1/4. After that, I need to put the engine cover back together & polish that.

Dallara_Paint00194.jpg

Remember that VHB is a PSA so it needs around 20 psi force to get it to properly wet out. The thick tape (1.9mm) you used should do a good job of conforming to irregularities.

Use a wallpaper roller or similar roller to apply pressure.

Pressed it in place by degree, pulling the release tape as I went around. The main issue is that the lower corners don't sit down on the glass evenly. I had to work hard to get those down.

Last edited:
A little heat to get things to conform, rolled and some regular tape to keep it down can do the trick.

Things are looking great. Most envious from over here.

It is great that you are finishing this up in time for the fall driving season which is my favorite time. Enjoy your weekend.

Finally done with main panels cut & polish (for the time being) - there are areas that could use going over again, but that will have to wait. Still have to do the trunk, the hood & the engine cover. Had to futz with the trunk to get it to latch with the new seal. Frunk has a similar issue where it sits a little high with the new seal.

Back end

Dallara_Paint00198.jpg

front end

Dallara_Paint00199.jpg

Worked on the doors/windows/regulators the past couple days. Added reinforcement in the area beween the armrest retaining screw mounds.

X19-Door00004.jpg

Bonded those in place today, then sanded and polished the targa top panel and cleaned, installed and adjusted the targa retaining plates.

After that, I worked on the engine cover. Drilled out the rivet holes to accept M5 riv-nuts. This way, I can disassemble for cleaning as needed.

Dallara_Paint00200.jpg

Wet sanded & polished the outer cover

Dallara_Paint00201.jpg

painted the rain tray with cheaper black lacquer & clear coat (Duplicolor)

Dallara_Paint00202.jpg

Last edited:
Put the engine cover together today. Heat & humidity were brutal today.

Screen
Dallara_Paint00203.jpg

rain tray back in, cover installed

Dallara_Paint00204.jpg

Dallara_Paint00205.jpg

After that, I cleaned the sail trim plastic backing, and painted the metal trim

Dallara_Paint00206.jpg

altogether now. Ready for School in the AM :D

Dallara_Paint00207.jpg

Dallara_Paint00208.jpg

Dallara_Paint00209.jpg

Dallara_Paint00210.jpg

painted the door fabric flat black also

Dallara_Paint00211.jpg

Dallara_Paint00212.jpg

Great first day of school pictures.

We had our last first day with our daughter a week and a bit ago (her brothers both graduated several years ago).

Looks like a fun time. Enjoy and good luck in the parking lot...

The body lines came out very nicely, all the work really paid off! I like the "911" sucker fan idea although I wonder how much of a difference leaving the top slats in would have made with the air flow. What are the black rubber? dots on the sills for? And what grade sandpaper did you wet sand the paint and or clear with? It looks smooth!

Now what are you going to do with the rest of your life?

The body lines came out very nicely, all the work really paid off! I like the "911" sucker fan idea although I wonder how much of a difference leaving the top slats in would have made with the air flow. What are the black rubber? dots on the sills for? And what grade sandpaper did you wet sand the paint and or clear with? It looks smooth!

Now what are you going to do with the rest of your life?

Thank you.

Removing the slats did make a difference - you can feel the volume increase, I did leave them originally.

The black dots are the plastic retainer rivets for the modified Volvo rocker extensions. They are also glued to the sill along a 1/2” strip with 3M VHB tape, and plastic rivets along the underside.

I (block) wet sanded using 1k, 2K, 3K, 5K & 7K before using the DA with 4 levels of compound thru fine polish. It is very smooth :) .They said no wax for at least 3 months.

Next up is custom dash, and K24 conversion, so that will keep me busy for the next couple years....

Back