Preparing For Dallara Body Kit

Oh man...so sucks to see this:mad:
Happy you are OK and trust your good hands to fix it even better than it was.

I like the mesh, looks great. ;)

This....
IMG-20200508-173230.jpg

Reminds me of this (Porsche 917)....
Porsche-917k.jpg16.jpg

Somewhere in one of my threads painting the (canvas) targa top was discussed - I can't find it. I think Dr. Jeff brought it up. Anyway, I finally got around to painting it today, air quality was perfect, low humidity.

IMG-20200716-153053.jpg

got a nice even coat with two cans

IMG-20200716-153100.jpg

IMG-20200716-163316.jpg

IMG-20200716-163337.jpg

looks pretty good, I think. Definitely better than the beige. I do think that was OK with the solid red body, not so much with all the stripe work.

Also, sitting in the driveway, I really liked the body profile from the side rear quarter, with the light as it was:

added the earlier Bertone targa vent also

IMG-20200716-151827.jpg

IMG-20200716-151837.jpg

IMG-20200716-151743.jpg

IMG-20200716-151644.jpg

Thanks Tony. Duplicolor it was. I have the can if you want more specific info.

I have been a user/believer in that vinyl and fabric spray for decades! Just recently David Frieburger on the show Roadkill demo-ed the product using dark colored vinyl and spraying it with the "Sand" color. Then he tried scratching it and cut it to demonstrate the color was now part of the fabric.

I sprayed some charcoal armrests in the same color for a friend and they did need a respray after a couple of years... I really don't think we prepped them properly. I have re-sprayed my entire interior decades ago and occasionally do some touch-ups.

A great product, as well as their entire line. I use nothing else!

That color and fabric covered top really compliments your car! Great work!

Revising the front coilover upper mounts using the Ford Focus mount (Jovani's Thread)

Original coilover layout:

IMG_6572.jpg

This

IMG-20201015-173529.jpg

is replaced with this (with 1/2" nut spacer instead of 1/4" shown):

IMG-20201015-173556.jpg

To make it work, I had to modify the pivot bearing flange (remove the ridges)

so it would sit flush over the Focus mount lip

IMG-20201015-165150.jpg

IMG-20201015-165146.jpg

Sits further onto the strut spindle

IMG-20201015-173643.jpg

IMG-20201015-173757.jpg

I will need a 1/2" spacer now to seat the nut, 1/4" spacer here

IMG-20201015-173837.jpg

I may revise the rears like this - they don't need the bearing of course, however this is much cleaner
IMG-20201015-175529.jpg

Have to mark & drill the strut housing top plate - following Jovani's guide

Last edited:
Revising the coil over upper mounts using the Ford Focus mount

Hussein, I'm afraid you could have a clearance problem with the hood in your front set-up. Be careful. Maybe you know it already, but I have a bump in my hood to remind me to check whenever I do some changes to my coilover set-up... 🙃

Hello Daniel - yes I recall your woes!

With mine, the depth from the tip of the strut to the mount seat is only 1mm different (33mm vs. 32mm) between the two designs, so should not be any issue there. without the fiat 'cup' to add thickness, a deeper spacer is needed.

Got the second wheel bearing installed today, many thanks to MWB for awesome service!!

With that done, I put the struts together with the Ford Focus mounts & drilled the top plates to fit, using the rearward stock hole as the baseline.

PXL-20201017-213159245.jpg

PXL-20201017-225435534.jpg

PXL-20201017-225421533.jpg

PXL-20201017-225539018.jpg

Just have to fill the old holes - have to reset the doubler plate to align with the tower holes first

PXL-20201017-230640585.jpg

Front end feels much better. Only issue is I have to reset the coil over height adjustment - the front end is about 1/2" or so too high - checking the wheel clearance going from lock to lock, on the right side the outer edge of the tire is contacting the fender where it tucks in to the rocker panel.

What is the top bearing that you used from? I believe it was what you already had on the coilovers before installing the Ford mounts, and they do not look like they're the Ford bearings. If I were to venture a guess I'd have to say something Volvo? :D
Curious if you considered using the flat "Torrington" thrust bearings that mount directly against the springs?

cro-76401_w.jpg

As Doc says and I was going to say the same thing yesterday... just couldn't remember the name of the bearings. I believe it was Marko Plaia who was probably the first to come up with idea this 20 years ago, and C.Obert & Co. sold them as "Plaia Pivots".

Most who installed them said they were GREAT and called them a poor-man's power steering. I have a set as well, along with a set of "doublers" Marko sent me ('cause my brother did him a favor and wouldn't take a dime...) and I have yet to install them.

I'll be installing the Vick's auto top mounts as well that will require some re-drilling also.

Marko was one of the GREATS on this site, like so many others here. May he rest in peace.

What is the top bearing that you used from? I believe it was what you already had on the coilovers before installing the Ford mounts, and they do not look like they're the Ford bearings. If I were to venture a guess I'd have to say something Volvo? :D
Curious if you considered using the flat "Torrington" thrust bearings that mount directly against the springs?

View attachment 37590

Volvo # 3530341. The Ford ones are the same design, just too large for 2.5" springs.

I wouldn't use an open bearing like that. As it is, I get all kinds of grit etc., in the spring seats, those open bearings would be toast in a week :D

Volvo # 3530341. The Ford ones are the same design, just too large for 2.5" springs.

I wouldn't use an open bearing like that. As it is, I get all kinds of grit etc., in the spring seats, those open bearings would be toast in a week :D

Hey Hussein...

I don't know where you take you X off road... (I thought Group B Rally racing was dead...) but I've known many regular X1/9 enthusiasts that have never had a problem with those Torrington style bearings for many, many years...

You do have a point though!

Hey Hussein...

I don't know where you take you X off road... (I thought Group B Rally racing was dead...) but I've known many regular X1/9 enthusiasts that have never had a problem with those Torrington style bearings for many, many years...

You do have a point though!

Just the typical NY road conditions, nothing special :D

Back