Problem With Removing Muffler

bensonbe

True Classic
Hey guys trying to replace my muffler as the tail pipe came loose from the muffler and was causing a massive rattle. I got a replacement muffler ready to install. problem cant get the old one out. Nuts and springs and the flange that stays with the muffler are all clear and the muffler is just siting on the cat. cant get the joint end over enough to clear the three studs coming off the flange joint at the cat. do I need to remove those three studs to get the muffler out? I hope not. If anyone has ideas let me know if I need to remove the studs any tricks to the trade on that.

Thanks for any help.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_3505.JPG
    IMG_3505.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 71
Hey guys trying to replace my muffler as the tail pipe came loose from the muffler and was causing a massive rattle. I got a replacement muffler ready to install. problem cant get the old one out. Nuts and springs and the flange that stays with the muffler are all clear and the muffler is just siting on the cat. cant get the joint end over enough to clear the three studs coming off the flange joint at the cat. do I need to remove those three studs to get the muffler out? I hope not. If anyone has ideas let me know if I need to remove the studs any tricks to the trade on that.

Thanks for any help.

Brian

I think it will be simplest to remove the four bolts and nuts on the square flanges that join the cat to the downpipe. That will let the cat come out and in turn let the muffler come out.

Dan,

Thanks I was thinking that too looks easier, but was scared to go that far back. I will spray some penetrant on those and see where I can go from there.

Brian

Dan,

Thanks I was thinking that too looks easier, but was scared to go that far back. I will spray some penetrant on those and see where I can go from there.

Brian

They are just thru-bolts, not threaded into anything except their nut, so if the are rusted-in-place they can be sawn, chiseled, or torched off and replaced with simple nuts and bolts. When installing I liberally coat them with anti-seize to make them easier to remove when required.

If you decide to take yours apart, I would be interested to know if there is a gasket in that joint, as IIRC the parts manual does not specify one.

Hmm, I didn't have to remove the studs when I installed my new (used) muffler. I did remove the rear valence and grill through which allowed for a lot more adjustment room to wiggle the muffler out.

Hmm, I didn't have to remove the studs when I installed my new (used) muffler. I did remove the rear valence and grill through which allowed for a lot more adjustment room to wiggle the muffler out.
I have both out still no room the muffler pipe is about two inches two long. I talked with Matt tonight got a plan in place.

Update I was able to remove the muffler without taking the cat off or the studs on the slip joint. Friday night I jacked it up higher and was able to get a better look at it and I ended up twisting it towards me and just nudge the tail pipe past the opening. New one went back in just the same way. Did a test run about 60 mi and everything is working as it should.

Back