Project midnight sunrise

So I did speak with Midwest Bayless about the steering link. They said the 1/4" play at the wheel was typical and not necessarily bad. I decided to order new u-joints for the steering link to rebuild the one I have for now. I have a new one for a fiat 126 on order that I believe should be the same part. We will see when it arrives.

Unfortunately, when I took apart the driver's side front hub assembly, that originally had a bad bearing, I discovered what could be a crack on the inside hub. I decided to go with all new 1500 hub assemblies from MWB because of the larger bearings.

I also knocked out new radius rods mount bushings. MWB didn't have them in stock any more and it was easy enough to turn up a set up.View attachment 51788
Is there any where we might keep dimensions of these parts for the community?
nice job on those bushes would be great to get a copy of your dimensions when you get chance

I also knocked out new radius rods mount bushings. MWB didn't have them in stock any more and it was easy enough to turn up a set up.View attachment 51788
Is there any where we might keep dimensions of these parts for the community?

Hmmm...i dont think your 2 piece design would last long in service. As the rubber bushings wore, and the suspension moved....I think they would become dis-lodged and mangled. The original grommet was a one-piece design that popped into the hole in the bracket.

And not sure why you bothered to go through all that effort. Proper one piece radius rod grommets ARE available from Eurosport:

And I too have plenty in stock.

But you did save 6 bucks :)....................

Last edited:
Hmmm...i dont think that 2 piece design would last long in service. As the rubber bushings wore, and the suspension moved....I think they would become dis-lodged and mangled.

And not sure why you bothered to go through all that effort. Proper one piece radius rod grommets ARE available from Eurosport:

And I too have plenty in stock.

But you did save 6 bucks :)....................
If you refer to this thread you will find that the original bushings are a two piece design.
They are sandwiched between all the other pieces of the radius rod so there shouldn't be an issue with them falling out. There is clearance on the inside of the bracket from one bush to the other so they stay clamped tight to the flange faces. Even with my original rubber doughnuts that were destroyed the whole assembly was still tight around the radius rod flange. I'm not really worried about it. For 15 minutes of my time v. ordering from the UK, this was the easiest solution.

I'll make up a drawing that can be used in the near future.

No...the original grommet is indeed a 1 piece design. This can be verified by a shot of my official Fiat parts diagram below.
x19 suspension parts diagram.jpg

Note it is indeed Fiat part # 4290680. Which is further verified as a 1 piece design by this vendor listing:
And this listing here - among others:

That is what I have found in every X1/9 I have seen. I do believe the chap in that thread you reference is not correct here. But believe as you will.......

Have a read of post #16 by Steve C in the link "radius rod bushing" by Kendall above, it's a good explanation of the assembly.

Today I got the front end back together. Here's another picture most of you have probably seen.
20210926_180958.jpg

It was pretty interesting how much the rubber radius rod bushings compress. I guess that's the point to keep the end isolated. Next weekend will be the timing belt and retuning everything up.

Does anyone have any advice about setting the timing on a higher compression engine like this? The PO explained that basically if the engine pinged in the upper rpms he would dial back the timing. When I got it running last month I set the idle to be at 0 degrees, and it seemed okay. I'm not sure how much total advance the distributor he setup has. I would have to check. Does anyone have a good recording or description of what pinging sounds like? I'm not sure I would recognize it.

Just a quick question, I noticed today that it looks like my timing belt is walking a bit. Here is a picture.
20211030_161216.jpg

It's right at the edge of the cam gear, maybe slightly over. Is this a problem?
When I changed the belt I went through a few rotations of the engine and then loosened the tensioner bearing and retorqued it. I did that a few times at different places in the rotation of the engine. Is there anything I should check? I would really hate to lose this belt and the engine because of it.
Thanks for your help.

I have the same issue on my 1300. I replaced the cam and aux pulley and the belt rides the opposite to your picture IE against the lip but over hangs the aux wheel. With the original cam and aux pulleys it was the same as you have pictured. I’ve stopped unduly worrying over it but I do keep an eye on it!

A few updates. I have been able to knock out some projects for my x.
The shifter rattled pretty badly any time while driving. I bought the appropriate replacement parts from MWB but also pressed out the steel bushing at the bottom of the shifter. I machined a new close fitting bushing for the pin on my shift linkage and installed it. Liberal amounts of silicone grease were used putting the shifter back together. It feels great now with no slop.

20211219_162215.jpg

I also finished my wheel centering rings/emblem holders. I think they look great. Of course, nothing being too easy, two of the wheels in my set have different relief bores in the back of the wheel. I'll have to trim my parts down just a bit so they fit beyond flush to the back of the wheel.
Here's some machining shots. I did the first side in a pressure turning setup. And the back side in a chuck.
20211228_143400.jpg
20211228_151803.jpg

20211231_160219.jpg

Back