Project Mutant: Resurrection of an 82 FI basket case

are their drain holes so any water(or condensation) can drain out?

That, sir is a well asked question! In all of my seat of the pants engineering, I did not account for that. So in answer to your question, in a very Yoda-like voice: There will be. There will be. (after I create a couple!)

Thanks for the question.

glad I asked at the correct time!!

I have seen many tow trucks with new nice tool boxes custome built. fill with water destroying everything stored in them.

Drain holes are your freind!!

Project Mutant: Does anyone other than me find it weird that a person gets excited about a flat floor that contains 3 days of work on frames and internal structures that no one is ever likely to see, and all they'll ever see is a flat floor?

The rear trunk floor replacement is finished, and it looks FABULOUS! And it seems to be pretty functional, too.
Insulated, no rust, galvanized, treated, and reinforced. Yep!

I think I'll run some body sealer around it to help keep the water out, and I'm going to make it so the engine compartment separator panel goes back into place correctly too. Should be high and dry in that rear trunk area. Hmm. I'll probably want to find a heat-resistant vinyl mat to cover my awesome work. Heh.

20180801_190236.jpg
20180801_190249.jpg

BTW - for anyone who has never done a restoration/restomod, here is something to consider: I started with a reasonably complete tool box, with a LOT of hand tools, and a plethora of power tools. I have invested nearly as much in additional tools as I have in parts for the car, probably $1500 to $2000 worth. Engine lift, jacks, metalworking tools, grinding and sanding equipment, cutting tools, tubing cutters and benders, vacuum pump, not to mention storage for same. Also there are the supplies, like cleaners and chemicals and paints and sandpaper and grinding wheels and etc. It all adds up. And, even when you have everything that you think you need, you will invariably find something else that requires a more specialized tool. I still haven't even touched the fine detail work, sanding, and painting aspects of the project.

What I would purchase if I had realized I could have made good use of them: Drill Press, Hydraulic Press, small sheet metal brake, a better Dremel moto tool, and other miscellany.

In the long run, I will have most everything I need to tackle a similar job again. In the long run, I am still not sure I WOULD tackle a similar job again.

Project Mutant: More interior necessities.

Got the belts mounted on the drivers side, and ready to be mounted on the passenger side. Off-brand (Tanaka, NOT Takana) 4-point purple belts, to keep with the whole purple Mutant theme.

Had to build custom mounts for the shoulder belts. Probably not SCCA compliant, but actually REALLY strong for street use.

Also did some interior painting, and some metal panel and insulation for the rear deck. With the new rear floor, the rear trunk in place, and the new insulation in the interior, it seems much quieter.
20180804_193152.jpg
20180804_193216.jpg
20180804_193221.jpg
20180804_193228.jpg

Project Mutant: Dang, it's STILL hot out in the garage!

Started on the bodywork at the rear of the car. Filled in the holes that won't be needed (no bumpers, no trim, no big rectangular side-marker lights). Still need to fill in the left rear marker light, and do some more fill of holes and smoothing. Removed all of the old windshield sealant and the old windshield frame inner edging. Ordered new edging from Midwest Bayless. Stripped down the surface rust in the windshield frame area, and treated to convert, and then primed and painted. Painted the rear of the car, and the rear trunklid, and the windshield frame. Makes it easier to see flaws that will show up when the final paintwork is done, so I can correct them early. I have no problem with a rattle-can 50/50 paint job, since I know it is only temporary, and will be sanded off before someone does the right job for my car. (50/50 = at 50 MPH from 50ft, it looks fine! :p)

I found a company here in Jacksonville that is chemically stripping, then sandblasting, then powder-coating the engine cover(s) in Satin Black. 904Powderworx.com. Should have them back by Tuesday evening. Calculated that for the amount of time and materials, sand paper, grinding disks, chemical paint remover, etc. that it was cost-effective to have someone else do that job. It looked like it was going to take another 20 hours of hassle before I had it in good enough shape to paint.

Received a sheet of Phenolic Plastic that I will be using to heat/mold/bend into the headlight surrounds. Never done it before, nothing like the present time to learn.

Should be able to install the windshield on Thursday. Not doing anything next weekend, as I will be at the Fiat Freakout in Orlando, driving a rented Fiat 500.

If I get ambitious this week, I will cut off the bumper mounts, and fab up the plates that will fill in the holes. The plates will have a nut welded on the back, and when they are not in use having the tow-straps bolted in place, they will have a button-head stainless bolt filling the hole.

Oh Yeah - I determined that the right-front wiring for turn signals and running lights and etc is all messed up. Probably has something to do with the right-rear turn signal issue. If I keep at it, I'll eventually either figure it out, or break it so bad that I will HAVE to have someone else fix it!

20180812_132156.jpg
20180812_132204.jpg
20180812_132217.jpg
20180812_132233.jpg

Project Mutant: Take 2 - Just before the storm hit!

Took a cutoff wheel (actually takes one cutoff wheel PER side) and cut off the bumper mount/tow loop. The back of the car looks better already!

Now, just need to grind away the rough parts, make the end cap with the welded nut, and figure out how to make what is leftover 'Pretty'. Funzors!

20180812_145220.jpg
20180812_145226.jpg

Project Mutant: Scrambling!

Got the engine hatch components back from the powder coater. WOW! They look GREAT! Still need to work out a new latching method, and fix the rust-through spot on the edge on the left (black automotive panel epoxy will do the trick).

Got the windshield installed. New inner trim on the metal edge, and plenty of adhesive. To quote me quoting someone else: "It ain't gourmet, but it's food.". I'll likely use a urethane body sealant to mount the windshield surround trim, after I clean it up.

Now to gather up and clean the parts I am taking down to Orlando for the Fiat Freakout ("The most magical freakout on earth!"). See if I can sell some decent parts to decent folks.

20180816_103750.jpg
20180816_103816.jpg
20180816_103946.jpg

Project Mutant: Little Steps.

The engine cover is mounted, the one-button release is in place and functional, and the underside of the Targa bar is painted.

I was able to get some grade 8 nuts that will be mounted on plates in the ends of the frame rails on front and back. I contacted a bolt manufacturing company in central Florida, and now have 4 stainless steel button head bolts on the way that will fill in the hole on the frame plates when they are not holding the tow straps (for track days and autocrosses).

If you need custom bolts created, Fastener Specialties in West Palm Beach at 561-582-7022 is the BEST!

So, some progress, and hoping for cooler weather now!
20180825_150207.jpg
20180825_150213.jpg
20180825_152800.jpg
20180825_152807.jpg

Project Mutant: Raise the roof or lower my butt.

Decided that the new seats I had purchased are too big and sit a person too tall (that coming from a guy that stands 5'5" in his tall sneakers). When sitting in them, they were very comfortable, but my head basically brushed the roof.

So, sold the seats on Craigslist, and ordered a new set of Porsche 914-style seats. If these sit too tall, then I will probably remove some padding, rather than go through the trouble of lowering the seat-pan.

Original replacement seats:
Fiat_Seats.jpg

NEW, should be here next Friday:

Fiat_Seats_2.jpg

Project Mutant: New seats arrived. They are much more period-correct, and sit me a couple inches lower than the previous set.

They are pretty skinny in the buttocks region, but just more incentive to lose weight. And speaking of weight, they are really light.

Next, I will be working on carpet, and making the interior 'pretty'. :)
Won't be ready for cars and coffee this weekend. So, October C&C looks like a work-in-progress reveal gonna happen!

20180905_162042.jpg
20180905_162059.jpg

Some kind of theme going on here but I just can’t put my finger on what it is.

Courageous on the seats, I have always had a hard time getting in and out of this style, likely my fat ass getting in the way.

Not quite picturing what you are doing with the SS fasteners but it will become clear as you move forward I am sure.

Keep at it.

Some kind of theme going on here but I just can’t put my finger on what it is.
Not quite picturing what you are doing with the SS fasteners but it will become clear as you move forward I am sure.
Keep at it.

Glad to enlighten... When doing things like autocross or track days (or just trying to hang with the cool kids), you need to have a tow loop of some kind available on your car, because either rules require it, or the towtruck operator damages your car without it.

Since I am going for the smoothed look, with no bumpers or bumper mounts, I will end up with none of the 4 built-in tow loops that Fiat so graciously provided.

To replace that, I will be plugging the end of the frame rail (where the tow loops previously resided) with a thick steel plate welded into the end of the frame rail that has a nut welded to the back side, internal to the frame rail. When you have a welded nut behind a backing plate, you also have a hole so things can be bolted into it. So, when you are not using the tow straps, you would want something to plug the hole. And, since it will be out in the weather, you should probably use something rust free. (Florida). And since I hate seeing hex head bolt heads sticking out on ANY car, I decided to get the button head bolts.

So, here is the naked tail end of my X, with the bumper brackets removed:
20180825_150207.jpg

Where the square holes are, imagine the square filled in with a plate that has a hole in it (with the hidden nut welded on the inside), a process that will be happening in the next few days...
Then, when not needed, the hole will be filled with a stainless, non-rusting, smooth looking, button head bolt. Four of them.
Stainless_Bolts.jpg

And when called for (usually when having fun or when definitely NOT having fun behind a tow truck or on a flatbed or trailer), the button head bolts will fasten the tow straps, one for front and one for rear...
Tow Strap.jpg

So, will still maintain that smooth look, and also allow for trailering and towing if needed. And for trailering, This also allows me to build a front and rear attachment point bar, making hookup easier.

Was REALLY busy last week. Traded in the Cadillac, and got a new Buick Encore (cute crossover vehicle). Much better gas mileage, less guilt if it gets dirty, slower, and more fun to drive. In that way, kind of like a Fiat. Might have gotten a Fiat or Mini instead, but with the discount for 2018 Buick, couldn't justify it. Happy with what I got.

Project Mutant: Only have little bits of time. Must use them wisely.

Got the carpeting done from the footwells back (still need to carpet the footwells).

Got both new seats mounted solidly, and functioning correctly (sliding fore and aft smoothly).

Fixed the 'weeping' that was coming from the brake line distribution block up under the dash board.

Gonna do some more smoothing in the back, then mount up the taillights again after re-routing the wires to make troubleshooting easier. BUT FIRST... Will be mounting the new stainless steel running boards on the wifes Silverado. Happy wife = happy life.

Next weekend = camping, so no Fiat progress.
20180916_200340.jpg
20180916_200348.jpg
20180916_200352.jpg

Project Mutant: And so the saga continues...

Decided what type of headlights I'll be using, and where to mount them. Started creating the mounting brackets. I should finish the headlight mounting tomorrow morning. With the headlights in place, I'll put the taillights back in, and get the windshield wipers in place, so the car will be, in essence, street legal.
20181019_194549.jpg
20181019_194557.jpg

Then I'm going to work on the end plates for the frame rails, before I get back to body work.

I have, I think, most of the tools and supplies now to get most of the bodywork completed and smoothed. Still have some futzing around to do to make plates, fill holes, and etc.

Back