Project Snorkel

Rear view out the inside rear view mirror is a strange topic. Anyone who has put a street rollbar into a spider knows that bar takes a horizonal slice out of the rear view. My newly acquired 90 Miata has an old top and the plastic rear window is so bad, even after polishing, is fairly useless. The snorkel takes a vertical center slice out and thus seat height should not be an issue. Maybe I'll try to take a picture of what's seen in my rear view mirror. Or just forget what's behind you! Or even better, embrace modern tech and install a full time rear view camera.

I like the camera idea. I installed a back-up camera on my full sized truck because the rear sits so high I couldn't see much behind me when reversing - and that is after I dramatically lowered the truck. Newer trucks sit impossibly high at the back.

My comment about seat height was referring to my case, where the intercooler and engine cover are higher than stock (therefore possibly a horizontal obstruction along the bottom of rear vision). But like you, I'm not really that concerned about it. In fact I am replacing the inside rear view mirror with a completely different type, which may offer much worse rear vision but looks better in my opinion.

Back