Project stalled, need picture of door card

Coupefan

True Classic
I've been using a template of a door card someone sent me years ago. I just realized it's a reverse image of the holes in the actual door. The factory plastic clips that hold the door card in place must have an oblong or slotted cut out on the actual card. Anyone have a picture of the rear of a door card showing just one hole of where a clip normally resides?

The holes are somewhat large (maybe quarter sized) and the clips have a slip fit so there is quite a lot of wiggle room, on the order of an inch or so.

Also the clips are offset. Therefore the holes on the cards do not line up directly with the holes in the door. That is to allow for the offset of the clip. So it might be difficult to know where the holes should be if you don't have the clips installed.

On the subject of door card clips. I find that the factory style plastic clips are a real pain. They often break when installing them, and certainly break when removing them. I prefer to use metal replacements, as used by VW. They are a direct fit for the Fiat plastic ones, much less expensive, and easy to source (pic below). Some people do not like using metal ones because when they yank the panels off of the door the panel breaks instead of the clip. But I do not find that to be a problem, perhaps due to the technique/tools used to remove the panels. I suppose others may argue the proper technique would also prevent the plastic clips from breaking, but I find they do regardless of how you do it. Personal preference.
https://www.jbugs.com/product/N143893-56.html

24c99d8.jpg
V02.jpg

I happened to have a door card handy in my basement. Here a pic of the back. Probably 1979-80 era. You could notice the bottom one clip is broken, and all the other bottom ones are missing so you could see the holes.

20191014_135655.jpg

Daniel, thanks for the picture.

Jeff, I'm sitting on a complete set of new plastics right now. After I break them, I'm going for those metal ones you found. Thanks.

Back