Proxies R 888R street legal race track and autocross tires

PaulD

Paul Davock

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0230 (1).jpg

This will be of interest to those of you who are in Canada.

185 60 13

These are DOT approved race tires, and are street legal. They have excellent grip and traction, and can be slippery in the wet.

These tires have never been run, and have been mounted once. The were manufactured in March of 2018, and were stored in a 50 degree heated garage this winter.

If you are in the states, order them from Tire Rack. They will be exceedingly expensive to ship from Canada.

$400.00 Canadian dollars.

Paul Davock

Attachments

• DSC_0227.jpg
    DSC_0227.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
How long do these last? My car is stored in a non-heated garage. I live near Detroit, MI and will be in need of 13" tires at some point this summer? My current tires are starting to crack. The car is on jackstands so none needed at this moment.

I'm sure Paul will answer your question, but here is a neutral opinion. I do run soft compound tires on the street for a long time.

In theory, soft compound tires will have a shorter life than stock rubber. But what will happen is the tire becoming harder. Not interesting anymore for autocross or track, but still liveable on the street if you could live with a little slippery tire.

Also, if you do normal mileage, these tires do not have much tread and will wear quicker.

In my case, if the tire still have some tread left after 5 years, I don't expect to keep them much longer.

What others have found about soft compound tires is they tend to grab all the little rocks on the road and throw them into your wheelwell. I don't care. It's the trade for having sticky tires that hang so well into curves. But for the majority of x 1/9 owners, it seems to be too much so they tend to stick to cheap-chinese tires that are becoming more available, and sometime do a good job for a great price.

So it's your choice. If you are race-oriented and are willing to do some compromise, R-compound tires are available easily in 13" sizes. If you want a more relax driving into your collector car, maybe stick to another option.

How long do these last? My car is stored in a non-heated garage. I live near Detroit, MI and will be in need of 13" tires at some point this summer? My current tires are starting to crack. The car is on jackstands so none needed at this moment.

I do not have long term mileage experience with these tires. I trust what Daniel says. They are a ton of fun on corners; mine really come into play on track days.
The drawback is that you would need to find winter storage that stays above 15 degrees Fahrenheit. With a non-heated garage I would put the car on the jack stands and store them inside somewhere.

I am 3 hours and one border away from you.

Paul

The drawback is that you would need to find winter storage that stays above 15 degrees Fahrenheit. With a non-heated garage I would put the car on the jack stands and store them inside somewhere.

Agree.
R-compound are not liking freezing temperature. You will have to move them in the basement or wherever else with some heating.

Paul

Back