Question about removing fuel sender

think jedi

True Classic
So I started to remove the fuel sender in the Scorpion today and as I disconnected the fuel hoses, fuel starts spewing out of the sender bung. I quickly jam the hose back on and go check the service manual. It says to *drain the tank*. Really???? Drain the whole tank to change out a fuel sender? Can someone confirm this has to be done?

tJ

Just thinking out loud, but I'm wondering about venting the tank by removing the fuel cap, or break the seal around the fuel sender before removing its fuel lines. That might break some kind of existing vacuum strength that exists. You might also check the factory tank vent.

I wish I was as far along as you, I've taken a break on mine because I have no time these days...

Thanks Chad. I was just thinking about opening the gas cap to release the pressure. I suspect that will help a lot. I had just filled the tank, so I'm hoping the gas doesn't come up as far as where the sender mounts to the tank. I suspect not but who knows? I guess I can pump out some gas from the tank to be sure it's well below the sender.

tJ

Well, the gas cap thing didn't work. It still spewed gas out of the bung. I'm not draining the tank...I guess I'll just drive the whole tank of gas out and then give it a go. :/

tJ

Well, thinking about it some more, I guess I can just disconnect one end of my fuel pump and run it, draining it into a gas can. I would imagine 5 gallons would do it.

tJ

Last edited:
Well, my fuel pump evacuated about 5 gallons, albeit slowly. It took about 10 minutes but it's done. Damn garage reeks of gas now, but I knew that would happen. :/

I'll pull the fuel sender tomorrow and have a look at it.
tJ

Back