Quiet Elec Fuel Pump ?

robsad

True Classic
This morning I tested my newly installed Facet Cube with two containers of fuel just to get an idea of how it works. I had no idea how loud this thing was going to be. I installed it on the firewall on a thick rubber pad where the carb fan used to be which cut the noise down by 1/2 but still - I can't imagine driving around with this noise right behind my head. I'm guessing if I put it down on the bottom of the frame I wouldn't hear it as much. Would a small rotary pump be quieter ? Also, this pump puts out a lot of fuel from what I see. Any experiences with different pumps would be appreciated. I'm not against the mechanical pump only in that when the car sits for a couple of days it takes forever to get the lines and carb primed before it starts. Thanks in advance.

I have those pumps on both my Xs and when I'm driving I don't hear it...maybe I'm just used to it. As to flow, pressure is the key, if you have the low pressure model then you should be OK, the float in the carb adjusts flow volume but not pressure.

They do tend to be noisy in my opinion, but I agree with everything Carl said.
Mounting it somewhere away from your head should help, preferably on a solid structure rather than a sheet metal panel that will act like a speaker cone (amplifying the noise). I like the rubber insulator idea, maybe take that a step further and use isolator mounts like these (avoids any metal to metal contact between the pump and the car):
41loxTDfUHL._SX425_.jpg

I had one of these on my ‘79 for probably 25 years and it never had a problem. It only makes the loud noise briefly until the float bowl is full and the needle valve starts to restrict the flow and pressure builds up in the hose. Then it quiets down considerably.

I've driven my X with an electric pump for several decades, and what Rodger says sums it up. Also, it's like a dripping faucet: When you notice it, you notice it. When you don't notice it, you don't.

If it is too loud, you could mount it to the engine block or even hang it from the fuel lines. On some electric pumps, this is even recommended.

Other than that, the Pierburg pump is very quiet.

When the pump gets real loud on a Facet cube it's telling your to pull over as the fuel flow is dead and you only have what's left in the bowl.

Back