R&T Lamborghini special from 1988

darwoodious

Darin Nelson
I ran across a copy of Road & Track Special Series Lamborghini from October 1988 at a flea market this weekend ($3)
IMG_1414.jpg

There were some very cool articles there on on all kinds of Lambos - fun to take the time machine back to '88.
IMG_1418.jpg

Probably one of the last adverts for an X1/9 here - they don't even mention the word X1/9 there and the grill looks different (narrow) plus the lower fog lights.
IMG_1415.jpg

For X1/9 and Bertone enthusiasts, there's a great article on design from Marcello Gandini as he did nearly all the Lambo designs
IMG_1419.jpg IMG_1420.jpg IMG_1421.jpg IMG_1422.jpg IMG_1423.jpg

",,,and the grill looks different (narrow) plus the lower fog lights. "

Yes,it's the Corsa kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my "era" and "category" for automobiles. Love it, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the X1/9 (which is what all Bertone X's are to me) ad. I really like that grill/nose treatment. I wonder if it was something that ever made it to production? Never noticed it before so doubt it, but it should have. I'd like to see this nose in a 'profile' perspective; in that picture it almost looks like the front apron/valance extends more vertically downward than the normal X nose? Which is what the X needs in my opinion. Anyone know more about this front end treatment?

Oops, just saw Daniel's post. This is a "Corsa Kit"? I'll have to look at them closer for custom nose ideas.

Last edited:
Did a Google Image search for "Fiat X1/9 Corsa". Not a lot came up but it poses some confusion. Of the images with "Corsa" decals on the doors or have nose treaments like the ad above, some are listed as "corsa kit", some as "series speciale", and some both. I thought those were two different packages. Most of the images don't show the nose well:

This one is labeled as "series speciale" but clearly has the front end treatment most like in the ad.
BeroX19-SA640.jpg

This one does not show the nose directly but it appears to be the same as the one above. It is labeled as "corsa kit".
corsa.jpg

This is described as "serias speciale" and has the "corsa" decals on the doors.
corsax.jpg

This is simply labeled as "corsa". It is difficult to tell but the nose might be similar to the ad however not the same.

X19_Corsa_1.jpg

Too small to really tell anything, but labeled as "corsa". The nose appears like the one above.

x19corsa-1.gif

Really can't see it but the nose seems to be stock X1/9 as we know it, despite the door decals.
fiat 1975 x19_corsa_bruksela.jpg

Interesting article. Doesn't say anything useful but the image (clearly a sketch) has a nose treatment very much like the ad originally posted.
socarhh.jpg

So they all seem a bit different and no clear descriptions. Some seem to be aftermarket kits, others factory options. Please enlighten me on the various editions.

Last edited:
We have a few Corsa kit X1/9s in DCFiats. I have a white one and Ed Cohen has a perfect red one. The kits were installed at the dealer. Just plastic in the sides and fiberglass front and back. Some people think they are just extra weight on an underpowered car, but I like the style.

Todd, please show pictures of them. I'd like to see how the nose compares to the ones I found.

I guess we should start a new thread rather than derailing this one? Sorry to get off topic.

So they all seem a bit different and no clear descriptions. Some seem to be aftermarket kits, others factory options. Please enlighten me on the various editions.

that early model 1975 "Corsa" was the show circuit X1/9 and 1/1.
SOCAR the parts hub of BERTONE offered the Nuccio Bertone foglights..rear deck lid spoiler.
Cromodora CD 27 was the wheel.

1975 corsa.jpg

corsa1975_adv (2).jpg

Attachments

• cd27-5.jpg
    cd27-5.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 239
the late model 86/87 Corsa kit again was supplied by SOCAR. (not aftermarket)
Here are some nice photos of Ed's in this thread
I have a nice black one in the fleet with black leather.

crs5.jpg cc.jpg 5381945648c57af5c9926da5e617682a5abb2ad3.jpg

I thought the X1/9 Corsa was a special light weight model, designed for club racing? With the later Corsa body kit being a way to smooth and modernize an aging wedge? I still kick myself for not buying Dave May's 850 "racer" with its original CD-27s :( Another cool factory club racing effort.

Back