Radiator exhaust through the hood

rachaeljf

True Classic
I've been working on a way to exhaust the radiator via the hood, while allowing the roof to be stowed and avoiding the hot air going straight into the cabin. It's probably a folly, but I've enjoyed puzzling it out!

Sweet! I considered this also...

My plan was to duct it sideways around the top, and then use the hood grill thingies from a 280z. How do you plan to finish the hood holes?

Pete

I love it!!!!

Are you doing the same mod in the front trunk on both sides as I see you have hood openings on both sides. I can't wait to see more progress photos and the finished result. This is definetely "best of" worthy in my opinion.

Keep up the great work.

'PeteX1/9

Thanks Pete! I have struggled to find off the shelf vents that are really big enough and the right shape. I hadn't seen 280 vents before, there seems to be quite a variety of useful and good looking vents.

Because of the hood stiffening frame it's difficult to get large enough vent holes, so my solution is not ideal. I will leave a small open strip at the bottom of the radiator cowl, mainly to allow rain water to drain, still allowing some air to exhaust under the car. My main aim is to minimise the volume of air exhausted under the car.

I considered Ford Focus ST vents, but Mark, my fabricator reckons he can make bespoke louvres. The rear part of the vent, which is actually a rain protector for the strut top, will remain open as I like it as a feature.

Nice work! It doesn't look like the vent trough seals against the hood vent, so I presume you won't be driving this in the rain? I really like the idea of hood vents for the rad, but I would need a design that covers driving in inclement weather :)

Hi Hussein, yes I have considered completely sealing the duct, but I have simplified it somewhat just to ensure any rain getting into the vent is channelled down to the radiator cowl and hence onto the road. However, I may have another look at fully sealing the duct when I visit the shop next weekend.

An early try to seal the vent is visible in one of the pics above, but I decided it was too restrictive to airflow. The ducting is not complete in these pics, there will be small fences added to keep rain water in the duct and out of the frunk. I will post more pics as Mark progresses.

Clean work ...but

Is it really necessary?

My '87 is stock all around and with clean cooling system I never experienced heating problem (and it IS hot over here).

Rachael,

I like what you are doing. And I would tend to agree with Mark, it is likely best to fab up custom grills to fit your specific needs rather than try to find something existing. Keep us posted.

Love it! I think for track day cars, this is a subtle and SMART way to add some cooling venting and still keep the front boot functional.

So far so good..

The main aim Herzel is to minimise the volume of air exiting under the car, which tends to lift the car at speed.

This solution is as much show as go; the vents really need to be generous and mine are limited by the bonnet framing (unless I really went to town...hmm).

However, every ounce of air coming out the top instead of under the car reduces the uplift, so it has some use for those that want to track their car while keeping it practical for regular road use.

This is what I did with my V6 Junker:

Here the roof is angled down at the front, so it lines up approximately with the bottom of the radiator. This allows the more usual and more efficient bonnet venting. However this takes up much more frunk space, and needs a generous chin, as provided by the Eurosport body kit in my case. You can see the (Scirocco) radiator is set vertical and actually fits nicely inside the Eurosport chin, but it is perilously close to the ground!

I absolutely love it!!!

Cleaned up and painted and i'm sure under the hood will look like it could have came from the factory with this mod as an option.:clap:

Love the loeuvered hole covers reminds me of the "Pontiac Grand Prix GTP from the nineties but I believe Pontiac's were plastic and yours look metal. Did you make them or find a donor car that fit the bill. Can't wait to see a photo with the hood closed. Keep up the great work!

'PeteX1/9

love your work and your thoughts about getting the air from under to over the car, and still keep the usable space for the roof.

are you thinking of doing something under the car to duct air in through your vents?

the air will move through the easiest way so you need to get the air "up" through the vents somehow.
What size do you have on the ducts appr.? Look a littlebit narrow on the picture

Anyway, your work is awesome:headbang:

The car has a Dallara body kit, there is a removable floor plate to be installed between the front spoiler and radiator. This floor continues under the radiator and almost completely closes off the bottom of the radiator exhaust cowl. There is an opening left that will allow some air to exit under the car. I'll post a photo once it is installed. I am conscious that the through-hood outlet area is somewhat restricted, I'll have a measure up next time I visit the shop.

Thanks again everyone for the comments, I'll pass them on to Mark; he is the fabrication artiste, I just provide the crazy ideas!

Back