Radiator exhaust through the hood

love this work.
Are you going bumperless?
The widened rear fenders. Are they metal? If so, is it your own build or have got it from somewhere.

The car has a Dallara GRP body kit fitted, so yes, bumpers are no more! The body kit came from CASCU.

The shell was going to the crusher before I rescued it. Although it's a very late build it suffered quite a bit of rot. All the replacement metal is hand made, including the targa/roll over bar. The wheel wells are properly tubbed and the rear wishbones are modified to give the correct Dallara wheelbase.

The body kits don't fit perfectly! You need to remove the original front and rear wings. If you want to keep the stock pop-up headlights you need to remodel the front corners of the GRP wings to get the right shape. The rear corners of the rear GRP wings also need some work to match the rear of the car. You will need to tub the wheel arches, especially if you want to keep the rear boot weatherproof.

Here is a link to progress photos of my other Dallara kitted car, this might help to show how (badly) the body kit fits!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t8vd7eo7u6s2zgv/balKhzjzCH

Wow supprised over the amount of work you need to do just to fit these kits. Seems like the mold comes out totally wrong on measurements.

How many hours of work do you think you have to use for fitting this kit?

Ha! I guess by the time it is painted I will have sunk about £4.5k into this one. There was quite a lot of repair work and custom work like the bonnet venting and side skirts as well as the fettling of the GRP.

Then there is the planned 1.9 turbo engine on top of that, and adjustable bias big brakes and servo. I have a set of 15" Compomotive 3 piece wheels to go on it too. These will run me up another £3k.

:sigh:

Suggestion

Herb Adams was/is very keen on exhausting air out of the front wheel wells to reduce lift. If you look at the cars he worked on like the 1970 Trans Am and the special Fire Am and Cheverra cars as well has his current Contessa, you will see they all have fender vents behind the wheels. May be worth while on your Dallara.

Recent picture of Herb with the Cheverra that he took to Daytona in 1981 (?)
Cheverra.jpg

The SilverBird. Must have needed more venting than anticipated. Don't know who the driver was. Maybe Milt Minter.
WatermarkedImageHandler3ashx.jpg

One of two sorta completed Contessas. Matt Adams at the wheel.

18372_102114769816023_1228644_n.jpg

If you use the first link above you can follow progress as I add more photos. I will try and keep them in chronological order.

Cheers R

Nicely coming along - why the large flat panel blocking the air to the upper portion of the rad? Looks like the size for a UK license plate...

EDIT: just looked through the pic collection - that's a heavily rusted body you're contending with!

If you use the first link above you can follow progress as I add more photos. I will try and keep them in chronological order.

Cheers R

Hello Rachael

Can you fix the pic links when you have time? Or fix the dropbox link. I'd love to review the work you did here :)

Sweet! I considered this also...

My plan was to duct it sideways around the top, and then use the hood grill thingies from a 280z. How do you plan to finish the hood holes?

Pete
Pete you did this to your old Scorpion. Other than looking cool did you notice a difference? I always wanted to do the same to my Scorpion just can't bring myself to cut it.

Pete you did this to your old Scorpion. Other than looking cool did you notice a difference? I always wanted to do the same to my Scorpion just can't bring myself to cut it.
That's not exactly what I did to my old Scorpion. I planned at one time to do that to my X1/9, in order to not affect the ability to stow the top. On the Scorp that was never an issue. What I did instead was to cut a hole in the top of the radiator tub and build a "chimney" of sorts to allow the heated air to escape by it's natural path.

You can kind of see that in this shot. The front grill is laying on top of it, but you can see the top of the chimney with the scalloped edges, that fit into the slats on the fiberglass hood.

DSCF0214.JPG

To answer your question about effectiveness, I never really saw a difference, but that might have been down to the complete vagueness of those 40 year old funky sideways gauges.

Back