Radiator exhaust through the hood

That's not exactly what I did to my old Scorpion. I planned at one time to do that to my X1/9, in order to not affect the ability to stow the top. On the Scorp that was never an issue. What I did instead was to cut a hole in the top of the radiator tub and build a "chimney" of sorts to allow the heated air to escape by it's natural path.

Side note - is that the natural placement of the radiator angle? If so, it's interesting to note that it's angled backwards vs. the X1/9 forward lean....

Side note - is that the natural placement of the radiator angle? If so, it's interesting to note that it's angled backwards vs. the X1/9 forward lean....
I don't ever remember altering the angle, but I can't swear everything is bolted down where it goes in those photos. It's been a lot of years since the front end has been on the car, so someone with a more stock Scorpion is going to have to verify.

The Monte/Scorp rad is angled back slightly, the exhaust air plenum behind is also smaller and slightly better shaped than the X1/9's.

Thanks for bringing this thread up. It will be great to see how this rad ducting comes out, with respect to the air flow, top fitment, etc.. I like the concept.

There was another recent thread where someone asked what have people done with regard to hood venting of the radiator. The typical Dallara openings have been done a lot, it would be nice to see some other designs.

One that I would consider is a wide, shallow opening with louvers. I'm thinking something sort of like one of these:
005 - Copy.JPG
Monterey 2012 162 - Copy.JPG

But that won't allow the top to be stored or lessen the hot air from entering the cabin. Just a different look that I like.

I think I posted about it a few years ago, when I built my car I vented the rad to the wheel wells as "brake ducting". Didn't want to give up the utility of the frunk and still wanted to be able to store the top up front so this was the solution.

IMG_20180203_171152287.jpg
IMG_20180204_121551691.jpg
IMG_20180210_155649977.jpg
IMG_20180210_173800223.jpg
IMG_20180306_130922243.jpg

So far has worked well and keeps the front from "floating" at high speeds.

The weather is unpredictable here so I need to carry the roof. If I lived in another climate I would probably do something like this for better cooling and more downforce.
420x315.jpg

I think I posted about it a few years ago, when I built my car I vented the rad to the wheel wells as "brake ducting". Didn't want to give up the utility of the frunk and still wanted to be able to store the top up front so this was the solution.

So far has worked well and keeps the front from "floating" at high speeds.

That's kinda where I was going - Thanks for posting - I don't recall ever seeing them before. I was wondering doing just this would create the need for fender vents. Doesn't sound like you've had any need to add that feature.

EDIT - I see that I did comment on the post at the time :D

Last edited:
That's kinda where I was going - Thanks for posting - I don't recall ever seeing them before. I was wondering doing just this would create the need for fender vents. Doesn't sound like you've had any need to add that feature.
As long as you have the rear fender splash shields in place or fabricate something to block the opening behind the wheel it seems to be fine.

This is a bit different take on it altogether, another approach by a member to improve the airflow as it goes through the rad and under the car. He angled the rad back (instead of forward), and modified the 'rear' wall behind the rad to allow a more gradual angle from the rad to below of the car (rather than the abrupt vertical wall). He didn't show much of the body mods, but here is his thread:

As long as you have the rear fender splash shields in place or fabricate something to block the opening behind the wheel it seems to be fine.
I like this design as it allows you to keep most of the storage and roof in the frunk. But it looks like the redirected hot airflow hits brake cylinders and discs? Would this work also in a hot climate or race circumstances without overheating the front brakes? Or does it even improve brake cooling with the extra airflow?

I like this design as it allows you to keep most of the storage and roof in the frunk. But it looks like the redirected hot airflow hits brake cylinders and discs? Would this work also in a hot climate or race circumstances without overheating the front brakes? Or does it even improve brake cooling with the extra airflow?

I would expect the temp of the air coming through will be substantially lower than that of the brakes when in use - I'm curious if the flow directed thus actually travels out through the wheel, or if it mostly adds to the wheel well 'pocket' Not sure how that question could be answered in a meaningful way without equipment that measures flow in/out the wheel wells. All that aside, I like this approach as it doesn't impact the 'hood'.

Yeah - mine are 'tubbed' out to meet the dallara flares, so no gap / passage for air to go between inner & outer fender.

I'm just trying to figure out if I can get away with not removing the entire forward wiring harness :D

I need to fix my inner strut tower walls - not as bad as yours, but since I'm adding another fusebox tucked in where the AC R/dryer used to go, I need to fix the rust now rather than later (I had originally planned on doing this another year). Since I'm going to be cutting, I'm leaning toward a mod of this sort while I'm at it. I may figure out a r/s duct that leaves the AC hose & harness essentially where it is, rather than relocate above as I believe you did?

screenshot-xwebforums.com-2021.02.24-08_50_46.png

I would expect the temp of the air coming through will be substantially lower than that of the brakes when in use - I'm curious if the flow directed thus actually travels out through the wheel, or if it mostly adds to the wheel well 'pocket' Not sure how that question could be answered in a meaningful way without equipment that measures flow in/out the wheel wells. All that aside, I like this approach as it doesn't impact the 'hood'.
Yes I would argue the 190 degree air cools much better than no air flow on glowing red brakes haha.

Im sure its not the "optimal" setup for air flow and there is probably still a decent amount of drag but on track it has helped keep the brakes cool and the front end is stable at high speeds.

The harness got relocated higher but for the most part follows the same path and the strut towers got cut out and replaced after I finished the vents 😉

Yes I would argue the 190 degree air cools much better than no air flow on glowing red brakes haha.

Im sure its not the "optimal" setup for air flow and there is probably still a decent amount of drag but on track it has helped keep the brakes cool and the front end is stable at high speeds.

The harness got relocated higher but for the most part follows the same path and the strut towers got cut out and replaced after I finished the vents 😉
Air coming from the radiator won’t be 190, the temperature transfer isn’t that efficient. As it is inefficient, you flow lots of air to get it the radiator down to the desired temperature. I would bet the air temp rarely is higher than 130° ever.

I think your solution, although a bit radical for a street car, is stealthy and one hopes it works well.

The brakes won’t mind, the temperature differential between the air and the hot metal is still great enough that you are still getting decent transfer. Probably way better than normal as normally there isn’t much airflow inside the wheelhouse of these cars.

@rachaeljf - let me know if you'd prefer this be moved to a separate thread...

So, I made some drawings based on @Brayden_connolly photo's - I hope that's OK - to evaluate details

The hatching represents where he cut through the 'frame' section

PXL_20210225_160301825.jpg

These are LARGE vents!

PXL_20210225_160336140.jpg

PXL_20210225_160326618.jpg

So, what I'm leaning toward for the moment at least, is a vent that involves little or no welding, so no cuts through the frame, only though the single skin membrane in between

PXL_20210225_160306017.jpg

I'm going to cut holes in the tub wall & inner fender

PXL_20210225_160415650.jpg

3x4" fits between the weld flanges (on the inside) . This would be modded to angle the flow diagonally to the wheel opening/brakes. The brake ducts built into the nose/lower pan on my C30 are only about this size.

PXL_20210224_220846168.jpg

Inside, 3x4 channel could be used

PXL_20210224_221658543.jpg

I think I'm going with corrugated tubing - this is 3.75" inlet, 4x3" outlet. Easier to tweak for fitment - esp. since I usually eyeball all my measurements / placements - so has to be a forgiving margin for error there.

PXL_20210224_222305889.jpg

The rectangular end will pass through the inner fender into the guide flange on the outside. For the frunk tub end, I can cut a 4" hole, add a circular flange to it for the tube to attach to. Easier than trying to cut the rectangular orifice in a non-flat surface. That area of the tub is a bunch of compound curves, not flat at all. Doing it this way, I don't need to mess with the AC hose/harness pass-through on the right, as it will sit inboard of that.

I'm going to cut the holes & go forward. I can always make cover/blanking plates if I don't like the way it turns out.

PXL_20210224_221609999.jpg

Last edited:

So, I made some drawings based on @Brayden_connolly photo's - I hope that's OK - to evaluate details

View attachment 43722

These are LARGE vents!

View attachment 43720

View attachment 43719

So, what I'm leaning toward for the moment at least, is a vent that involves little or no welding, so no cuts through the frame, only though the single skin membrane in between

View attachment 43718

View attachment 43721

3x4" fits between the weld flanges (on the inside) . This would be modded to angle the flow diagonally to the wheel opening/brakes. The brake ducts built into the nose/lower pan on my C30 are only about this size.

View attachment 43723

View attachment 43725

I think I'm going with corrugated tubing - this is 3.75" inlet, 4x3" outlet. Easier to tweak for fitment - esp. since I usually eyeball all my measurements / placements - so has to be a forgiving margin for error there.

View attachment 43726

The rectangular end will pass through the inner fender into the guide flange on the outside. For the frunk tub end, I can cut a 4" hole, add a circular flange to it for the tube to attach to. Easier than trying to cut the rectangular orifice in anon-flat surface. That area of the tub is a bunch of compound curves, not flat at all. Doing it this way, I don't need to mess with the AC hose/harness pass-through on the right, as it will sit inboard of that.

I'm going to cut the holes & go forward. I can always make cover/blanking plates if I don't like the way it turns out.

View attachment 43724
I'm assuming your goal is more about adding brake cooling than to redirect the radiator airflow from under the car? I say that because the proposed size of your ducts don't seem they would allow a significant change in the volume of air from the rad flowing downward. I kind of thought Braden's design was slightly on the small side with respect to the total air volume (surface area) through the rad. These are even smaller. Nothing wrong with that, depending on the goal - brakes vs overall aero.

View attachment 43722

These are LARGE vents!

View attachment 43720

View attachment 43719

View attachment 43718

View attachment 43721

View attachment 43723

View attachment 43725

View attachment 43726

The rectangular end will pass through the inner fender into the guide flange on the outside. For the frunk tub end, I can cut a 4" hole, add a circular flange to it for the tube to attach to. Easier than trying to cut the rectangular orifice in anon-flat surface. That area of the tub is a bunch of compound curves, not flat at all. Doing it this way, I don't need to mess with the AC hose/harness pass-through on the right, as it will sit inboard of that.

View attachment 43724
I can share the measurements if you'd like, I actually made templates too. If I remember correctly the openings are 6" X 6.5"

Back