radiator fan question

alfaman

Daily Driver
i am a fan of spal fans and think i will eventually retrofit my 86 with a spal unit..can anyone tell me the size of the fan my car uses.....also if it is pusher or puller...i am out of town at the moment or i would just look myself...i know i would need two of them

I like Spal fans also, lots of CFM air movement for the size. A bit expensive but well built.
'86 what? X1/9? Stock rad or one of the larger replacements?

yes..x19....i put a 12 inch, straight spal on my alfa and love it...actually got a really good price on it..here is the link on the alfabb....35 bucks...do not know if the seller is still around though...puller fan on alfa...trying to figure out size and pusher/puller fan for x19...as you probably know..reversible fans do not move as much air as a spal...stock radiator

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sp...6-1994/641450-good-deal-spal-12-inch-fan.html

Last edited:
Puller if you mount the fan behind the rad, pusher if you mount it in front of the rad. Without AC you could do it either way, but most are mounted behind. In front it might interfere with the grill if your grill is a stock one.

Interesting, that eBay listing is now $78. You got a good deal.

yes...best offer was accepted...i was surprised as well....i do have AC in the car....so i guess behind mounting...do you know if the stock fiat fan is pusher or puller...probably puller if mounted behind

10 inches..thanks...will look into one that size...believe spal is made in italy

right now the car runs at a good temp..about 195 when fully warm and under load....so just thinking of the future since temp/fan is good now

Last edited:
Yes, stock is a puller.
The American distribution and sales is located in Iowa. The company originated in Italy and still retains its corporate offices and a major production facility there. I suspect they also have production going on elsewhere (e.g. China), as pretty much all major companies do these days. In relation with one of my businesses I've met with the US reps from Spal in person, attempting to get a price break on their products. But they were not cooperative, they maintain a rather strict retail price policy. So I'm surprised there is a seller that allows big discounts, but with eBay you never know what you are dealing with. I might try the "best offer" approach and see what happens. Did the fan you purchased previously have all of the markings of a genuine Spal product?

yes..all markings were correct, new box/instuctions etc...fan seems to work very well, better than others i have had in the past.....i truly believe it was a spal....looked new, not rebuilt.....but it's best to be suspicious on any product on ebay...i would buy from this seller again based on my experience...good luck and let me know what happens

This is the SPAL fan I used - nearly a straight fit on my Chinese aluminium rad, I had to relocate the fixing screws slightly on the tabs. SPAL 10" (255mm) Cooling Fan VA11-AP7/C-57A (12v / 802 cfm / Pulling)

2018-08-12 22.36.54.jpg

With AC on the (original poster's) car, I'd highly recommend two of them. In addition to aiding with condenser cooling, and the extra heat that AC systems generate, that also allows a number of ways they can be controlled/configured.

thanks..i was thinking of the low profile spal units...however, do you think a non low profile fan would work in a car with AC

The fan I'm using is low profile, it's only 2" deep. I don't believe the depth of the fan will affect the a/c anyway as the condenser is on the other side of the rad.

Last edited:
What she said. Plenty of room behind the rad.

I believe Spal might have some new(ish) part numbers for many of their fans. I haven't looked into it too much, but there are listings that say "new model" and with a different part number designation. However they offer so many designs of fans that it is difficult to know if they are actually new models or just a different model. But look for similar ones even if the numbers aren't the same, the specs may have changed.

35 bucks is a cheeky offer! :D

The part number for the fans I bought is 30100435A. I got the highest CFM puller available.

The part number for the fans I bought is 30100435A

Does that include the slotted mountings - I can't see them on their tech drawing? If you ordered them separate, was it Part No. 30130010 "Mounting Bracket 19mm Long" or one of the longer types? :confused:

thanks to all...yes i was surprised when i got one for 35 dollars last year...12 inch fan though...

hopefully this thread will be useful for someone looking for a 10 inch fan

Back