Radio Activity

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
Started work on installing the Tritium vials I ordered.

No ambient light:
IMG_3432_zps874a72aa.jpg

Some ambient light:
IMG_3434_zps4d8ef100.jpg

Bright ambient light:
IMG_3433_zps9b16b16f.jpg

Curious if I should use superglue or regular model glue to hold them securely in place?

that is way cool! I need those!!
I think model glue only works on the right kind of plastic so I'd say super glue.

Sticky Situations

These are your Slider bars that fit on the metal "fingers" of the control Module, right? Rather than Super Glue, which is a female dog to break loose by design, I'd use some Elmer's Rubber Cement in this case.
It will hold the Plastic to the metal in normal use and you CAN still pull them off if needed for future work behind the Dash.

Sorry for the misunderstanding....I meant what type of glue should I use to secure the Tritium vials to the plastic knobs/slider heads?

The slider knobs/heads are intact and will push and snap right back onto the sliders.

Questions for Dan...

1. How long do they stay illuminated?
2. What light, and for how long to "charge" them?
3. Colors? (or just 1 color?)
3. Your source? (to get)

Thanks for sharing...

Available in different colors but some colors are brighter than others.
They are not charged. They glow constantly (for several years) before they die out.
Very difficult to find sources for these (almost like a controlled substance).

However, there are several folks who sell online. Here's one of the prior sources discussed here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?274721-Tritium-vials-markers-and-rare-items

Tritium is highly toxic (google search will reveal lots of horror stories from folks who painted it on watch dials), but should be safe inside the vials...
1. How long do they stay illuminated?
2. What light, and for how long to "charge" them?
3. Colors? (or just 1 color?)
3. Your source? (to get)

Thanks for sharing...

Hi Bob,

Somehow I knew this would get your attention::wink2::pimp:

These are tritium vials, meaning they are glass vials enclosing minute amounts of tritium which excites the inner phosphor coating.

They are self-powering and over the course of 12.3 years will lose half of their brighness as the tritium decays.

Since tritium is safer than radium, it has taken over the typical uses for self-powered lighting that radium once satisfied. Watch dials, night sights, and recently self-powered exit signs are common uses.

I used two different vials, the smaller 1.55mm x 5mm and the larger 2mm x 8mm, both in Ice Blue. When I ordered they were out of yellow, which I think I would have preferred, but blue is good, too.

They come in a lot of different colors and sizes. I ordered from "Bart", an easy PayPal transaction and honest service.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?270326-B-rt-s-Tritium-thread-part-deux-bis

Last edited:
They are a bit spendy, but I'm liking the idea and the look at the moment.

Have to finish installing (ordered two more of the larger ones for the side vent open/close), and then put 'em in the car to see what they look like in situ. I am a teeny bit worried they may not be bright enough....

They are a bit spendy, but I'm liking the idea and the look at the moment.

Have to finish installing (ordered two more of the larger ones for the side vent open/close), and then put 'em in the car to see what they look like in situ. I am a teeny bit worried they may not be bright enough....

My LEDs are way too bright and I think I'm giving them the minimum voltage to make them fire. I might have to start over. Not having to run wires to all those places is huge though.

Back