Rally in Italy

This rally video reinforces my distaste for "one note" racing like drifting. Having to accurately and precisely negotiate a car through tight, technical sections as fast as possible using all of the cars abilities is compelling to watch. However, all the cars appearances were "one note" and would have been hard to tell the makes apart in the absence of their liveries.

Thanks for sharing, nice video. The cars do look alike these days. I believe as they introduced limits on engine variations, the manufactures have tried harder to get an edge by aero dynamics. The box flares and big wings really make the hatch backs look generic, and harder to distinguish.

This rally video reinforces my distaste for "one note" racing like drifting. Having to accurately and precisely negotiate a car through tight, technical sections as fast as possible using all of the cars abilities is compelling to watch. However, all the cars appearances were "one note" and would have been hard to tell the makes apart in the absence of their liveries.

One note? Never heard cars defined like that. You talking about the way the cars sound? Or the way the cars look? WRC these days certainly being based off of smallish, agile hatchbacks--they can look similar. But drifting the cars generally look massively different.

Also part of the problem with WRC right now, is that there are only three cars competing at that level. The Toyota Yaris, the Ford Fiesta and the Hyundai i20. All three cars being smallish hatchbacks that sort of look similar, you're right in the looks regard. I wish other manufacturers would get back into WRC. Subaru, Audi, Peugeot to name a few. Wimps. (especially Audi IMHO) :)

I was using the term broadly, as it applies to drift "races" that's all the cars seem to be doing -drifting around one turn into another... and also visually as all the rally cars had roughly the same profile and features whereas the classic or vintage rally series is a beautiful mix of makes and body designs and powertrains.

It's true a lot of the current rally cars seem to end up looking very similar to one another. I think part of that is due to the 'modern' graphics on race cars vs how they were on the 'vintage' cars of days past. But I do like the appearance of some current rally cars more than others. It is suttle, but the inherent shape of the car it is built from does show through.

IMHO there is no reason for F1 or WRC anymore. The cars are all clones of one another. No individuality anymore. F1 tracks are unbelievably boring. All point and squirt tracks. Oh is that your piece of plastic or is that your piece of plastic.

IMHO there is no reason for F1 or WRC anymore. The cars are all clones of one another. No individuality anymore. F1 tracks are unbelievably boring. All point and squirt tracks. Oh is that your piece of plastic or is that your piece of plastic.

wuuut? You obviously haven't been watching F1 recently.

Oh formula prius. I tried just to boring. Cars, tracks and the drivers. Other than Kimi they are all clones. Sorry life long f1 fan has switched to MotoGP. Even formula tuk tuk is more exciting.

Are they racing now?! I stopped watching when they decided they were protesting, not racing.

Oh jeez. I have another friend who did that this year--didn't watch, panties all in a twist. BTW, this was NOT the first time those in F1 protested a human rights/racism issue. Didn't bother me in the slightest, I watched every Weekend Preview, Quali and Race this year--just like every year.

Honestly, it was a fantastic season. Portimao, Mugello, Imola, the outside ring at Bahrain, double headers. Tons of new, tons of history making stuff. Gasly's first victory, Perez's first victory, George Russell's almost victory, Stroll's first pole, Hamilton surpassing Schumacher's victory count, and a 7th WC. Capped off by Alonso wringing the neck of his 2006 championship winning R25. Was supposed to be a demonstration, and he pushed it. Absolutely sublime.

Anyway, you missed a fantastic season.

Here's Alonso ripping it up. That lovely V10.

Last edited:
No not really. What I missed was the 2020 Professional Wrestling show of racing.
DRS!? WTF, that's not racing. If you have to give artificial advantages to anyone to make the show worth watching there's a real problem. Instead of addressing the problem they simply decided to focus on putting on a show. Not what I want to watch. Who cares who "wins" a show like that? Not me. What's next, competition yellows? No wait, they have that now.
Historic milestones? It's apples to oranges now, no comparison.They used to race, not now.
As for the protests, I don't want to turn on my TV to watch a show that has racing cars in it, and be forced to watch a bunch of fools demonstrate their moral superiority. How long before teams get championship points for being the most woke? It makes me sick and I've moved on.
Just my opinion 😁

What Mike said! When people get excited about 14 year old race car something is wrong with the current format. Oh look another Group B video....

As for the protests, I don't want to turn on my TV to watch a show that has racing cars in it, and be forced to watch a bunch of fools demonstrate their moral superiority. How long before teams get championship points for being the most woke? It makes me sick and I've moved on.
Just my opinion 😁

Wow. Sensitive.

Back