Random Questions

Regan Burba

True Classic
Hello, I just have a few questions regarding a few things I need to get done to the 87 X.
There is plenty more to do but this is the focus right now.

- Any idea how difficult and expensive it is to obtain the door trim for an 87? Mine is in rough shape, I may be able to repair it but want to see what’s out there.

-I need new tires badly but need to decide on rims first. I have the original 87 phone dial rims on it right now and also have a set of CD 91s. Trying to decide which ones I like best. Both need to be refinished.
Does anyone know what the are made of? I would assume aluminum, but I think I may have seen a discussion indicating a different type of material.
I ask so that I can determine the best way to refinish them.

I assume you are speaking of the outside door trim. Henk has the set for around 200 Euros.

Both sets of rims are made of aluminum.

I have both sets of rims on my cars. The 91s are good, the same offset, width etc. They are the simplest to refinish.

The phone dials are great looking rims and are on my also red 87, they are difficult to refinish correctly. Mine need refinishing but likely won’t be...

I like them both. The 91s imply a deep dish which looks great on an X, the phone dials look more modern and a bit more sophisticated and the busier complex design goes well with the Xs body design.

Thanks for the response, it’s good to know I can find the door trim if my repair isn’t successful. I’m torn between the two different rims, but think I’ll go with the 91’s for now as like you said they will be easier to refinish. I just got the x back on the road, got a flat the same day, likely due to dry rot. It’s summer, I just want to drive it.

I have 91's on my 87. I had them refinished back in '94 by a rim shop in Cambridge, MA (don't think they are still in business) and they still look new. I did them without the black out between the spokes. I like the look.
20180805_133725[236].jpg

Sorry if it’s not appropriate to post here my random questions :) I like name of the thread.

What are Your toughts about these wheels 14x8 et10 and et15 for 200€, should I buy them and put BorbetA on E30? or leave Borbets on Fiat?
E4F61336-9228-4C26-B870-46C4E0A6B4BA.png
0B680BC1-01ED-4D7E-B4B4-CE00A725D4F9.jpeg

FCDE1AE8-EAC3-4D8C-97CA-2A3E45E3786E.jpeg

Sorry if it’s not appropriate to post here my random questions :) I like name of the thread.

What are Your toughts about these wheels 14x8 et10 and et15 for 200€, should I buy them and put BorbetA on E30? or leave Borbets on Fiat?
View attachment 23192 View attachment 23193
View attachment 23194

Nice. The Borbets belong on something else. Actually almost anything else...

Make sure you can find a decent tire to put on the 14 rims before committing to them. 185/55 14 would be the tires to get

I had my phone dials restored at a shop who did an awesome job. They look brand new and I love them. It cost about $100 per rim and was worth every penny in my opinion.

Did they finish them in the 2 tone as the originals? if so that seems like a very good price. That’s a lot of detail involved.

Back