RC toys anyone?

mx5rush

True Classic
Anybody else on here blow time and money on RC cars/planes/boats?

My 13 year old is ate up with it right now! I'm sitting here on the computer right now so I can make sure we are able to bid on a another car on ebay in just a few minutes! I'll tell you what, as the dad of a kid who's just learning 'how things work' I'm almost qualified to be a crew chief of a Indy Car team! Changing out shock oil, springs, rebuilding shocks, suspension tuning, overhauling electric motors... I'm doing it all! (and the kid better be paying attention to all these overhauls so he can man up and take over pretty soon!) I'm not a fan of electrics in general, but this hobby will make you a wizard with a soldering iron, and a McGuyver in the 'figuring it out' department. Something breaks nearly everything he takes it out thrashing.:dead:

I am constantly amazed how 'realistic' they are when compared to full size cars. The ability to 'set up a car' for specific conditions is hilarious. I think I'm about to pick up a bunch of shocks (stock take offs) on ebay for his old car, and rebuild them with different weight oils, so we can quickly change the car up for pavement, and various terrain. Crazy. A handfull of different strength suspension springs as well.

Sheesh....

I did nothing on my X today!

I've got an old Associated Electric RC-10 sitting in the closet that I used to race in the late eighties. Got into real cars and never really looked back. The other day my sister's BF brought over an electric RC truck and I was absolutely astonished at what those things are capable of these days. The thing is so fast you can't possible run it at full throttle. At 50 MPH it will flip over on it's top if you mash the throttle. Probably has a top speed of close to 100 MPH but is too unstable over 50-60 to keep control of it. It only took 3-4 runs up and down the street in front of my house before he nailed a curb a 30 MPH and broke a tie rod. HE also has an RC helicopter and the tiny little motor in it has 13 HP!:eek:mg:

Just won the eBay auction... wallet is still smoking... $655 lighter. Ouch.

I can relate to the old RC10 vs the performance of new cars. I have a old RC10t I'm restoring, and a uber cool vintage Tamiya Clodbuster I'm building a crawler out of. That Clodbuster drew a mini crowd at the last 'play day' we took it to at the local hobby store on a sunday when they take over the parking lot for racing.

I just bought one of the fullbore screaming fast brushless 4x4's that are out there. A Traxxas E-Revo with lots of extras. I probably scored $1200worth of products, and they look to be in awesome condition... but still, ouch. $655:eek:mg: Thats more than I paid for a freaking Gibson Les Paul guitar when I was a teen... And I can't see this thing going up in value... if anything it's going to be a money pit like a real race car!!!

Last time we were at the local store my son saw a E-Revo with big lipo batteries in it, and it's performance was simply staggering. Right when you think it's topping out, the thing pulls a wheelie with another burst of forward speed and you can tell the operator is having to modulate the throttle to keep it from flipping over! Unreal. With the batteries he had in it, it was simply stupid fast in the small strip mall parking lot. Borderline uncontrollable.

Yeah, it's an E-Revo Brushless Mamba Monster that he has. I think he was running a little more battery than was called for. Twin 4s Li-Po I think.

Not anymore, but I would if 12th scale 4cell came back

I sure would. Those of you in the Seattle area may know of (or remember if it's no longer) raceway hobbies. I walked in there back in 1989 while waiting for a ferry and left with about 300 bucks in 12th scale associated 12l parts. Raced almost every week until I moved to Dallas in 2001. At that time the Tamiya 10th scale were hot and no one had a place to race 12th scale carpet racers :(.

Oh yeah! I do have a Top Flight P40 Warhawk kit that's been in my attic since 2005. Got to the part where I needed the electrics and motor and put it on hold. I had just recently bought the house and new toy - a 78 X1/9.

Might have to dig that out and see if anyone is interested in finishing it...

T

001-31.jpg

002-29.jpg

When I was a kid some of my dads buddies on base (Navy) used to be into RC planes. We used to go watch them fly all the time since it was cheap fun. Watching those guys have intense dogfights was very cool. Surely guys still do that, where they attach a ribbon on the tails of their planes and try to chew them off with each others props?

The only plane I ever tried to fly was one of those old Pt19 trainers when I was a kid in the 70's... you know the blue and yellow plastic thing with the Cox .49 engine.

pt19small.jpg

I think I flew it for about 20 feet before nearly drilling a friends older sister in the field across from our house! Pretty much killed my desire to fly model planes! Those things were pretty hard to break since they were pretty much designed to fall apart... but I broke it on the maiden flight!

One of the most rad things I saw as a kid involved a Cox 049 engine! A bunch of teens in my neighborhood in Va. Beach in the early 70's were outside flying control line airplanes. (Imagine that! Not inside on PS3 or Xbox360!!!) and one kid had the rad little RedBaron plane that had a Cox 049, with a 2 bladed prop. He couldn't get it to start. They messed and messed with it for like 20 minutes. Finally someone decided to take the nice running Cox 049 off of a Miss America Mustang (Copy of a Reno racer I think) that had a large diameter 3 bladed prop on it. They managed to get that 'huge' prop motor screwed onto the body of the Red Baron. The prop on it was so big, they had to launch it by hand! Now it became obvious why the Red Baron plane came with a smaller 2 bladed prop! The bigger prop was screaming fast on that little TriPlane!!! Pretty soon it started shedding parts! First the landing gear ripped off within seconds of it reaching speed! Then the top wing began fluttering and ripped off the little struts, then one set of struts, then another! Next were the middle wings, first the outer then inner flew off!!! Pretty soon it was out of gas and the dizzy kid who'd been flying it laid down it the grass laughing. It was awesome to watch... totally a YouTube moment, but alas, the cellphone camera hadn't been invented yet!

140.jpg
+
1_9819a6a31949c8b5d50d9299eb91fef7.jpg
=
model-airplane-crash-RC-plane.jpg

Back