Re-homogenize An Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Since 1969 turn signals have to be amber over here,
German car makers are going through great lengths to make the turn signals switchable to red for the US market.
Whatˋs up with that? Is red currently required in the US?
The article doesnˋt mention that.
I believe amber is tolerated but newly purchased autos have to have red and the red brake light can blink with the red turn signal as well.
Why is this so hard???? AAARRRGGG!!!
Mike

Now, I have amber turn signals. However, they illuminate when I brake and if I use the turn signal the red brake light also blinks.
Now, I have been in contact with Alfa customer care and told them it is my right to bring my Alfa anywhere in the world I wish. I purchased it in good faith so something needs to happen that will allow the dealer to correct this issue and be able to undo everything in about five years when we move back. The very nice woman said that I have been elevated to the senior tech (Glenn somebody) at Alfa and they are working on a “file” to send to the dealer. This would be done under warranty. That was Thursday last week.
March 26, I have to lark the Alfa.
Wish me luck,
Mike

I believe amber is tolerated but newly purchased autos have to have red and the red brake light can blink with the red turn signal as well.
Why is this so hard???? AAARRRGGG!!!
Mike

Not true. They don't have to have red. They can be either. and they don't have to work with the brake lights. I'm really not sure why European auto makers keep doing this.

Automakers have worked hard to make gray market imports difficult. It undercuts their profit margins. As Alfa owners in the USA know, the depreciation on a new Alfa extremely high the day after the lease expires. I'm sure FIAT knows this and doesn't want sharp guys buying used Stelvios and Giulias dirt cheap in the USA and selling them in the European gray market.

I have been in contact with Alfa customer care and told them it is my right to bring my Alfa anywhere in the world I wish.
Not sure this is a right, and I don't see how the manufacturer has an obligation to convert your car from one spec to another. That said, perhaps you should contact your dealership in FL for the access codes? It might be easier for them to find this than for a UK dealership.

Not sure this is a right, and I don't see how the manufacturer has an obligation to convert your car from one spec to another. That said, perhaps you should contact your dealership in FL for the access codes? It might be easier for them to find this than for a UK dealership.

I do. As an owner, he has a right to get manufacturer assistance to make the car legal for use. Now, they have no obligation to do it for free, but especially with something this easy, they should do it.

Personally, I just think it's a rare request and it's just throwing off people who like to punt the ball instead of working to come up with a solution. Lots of people like that in the world.

Okay, after many forums, technicians and dealers, to include Alfa Italy, no solution. Italy flat out said no and the person here in the UK they referred me to refused to talk to me. Wonderful customer service.
That all aside, I hit a pheasant on the way to work and damaged the lower passenger side grill. While looking for that part I found a SGW Module Bypass. WHAT!!! A device made to bypass the the Security Gateway!!! $60.00 plus shipping.
Can’t wait to get it in and take the Alfa back to the dealer.
A $60.00 part allows access to the BCM. I just hope the dealer will help me.
Link(https://shopeurocompulsion.net/prod...stelvio-2-0l?_pos=1&_sid=36c764a6d&_ss=r)link
And, they ship to APO address.
I am going to post this device on all the Alfa forums so folks will know what to do prior to moving overseas with their 2018+ Alfa’s.
Mike

Okay, after many forums, technicians and dealers, to include Alfa Italy, no solution. Italy flat out said no and the person here in the UK they referred me to refused to talk to me. Wonderful customer service.
That all aside, I hit a pheasant on the way to work and damaged the lower passenger side grill. While looking for that part I found a SGW Module Bypass. WHAT!!! A device made to bypass the the Security Gateway!!! $60.00 plus shipping.
Link(https://shopeurocompulsion.net/prod...stelvio-2-0l?_pos=1&_sid=36c764a6d&_ss=r)link
I am going to post this device on all the Alfa forums so folks will know what to do prior to moving overseas with their 2018+ Alfa’s.
Mike
Hi Mike,

You mentioned, "And, they ship to APO address."

It's been a few decades, but APO used to mean "Army Post Office" and that was generally how the US Postal Service would serve US Army personnel stationed overseas, the main features being keeping the cost to mail something from the USA to the APO in the far-off foreign county the same as it would be to mail it within the States.

Being able to receive items thru an APO leads me to ask, if you or your spouse is in the UK as the result of being stationed there for military service, diplomatic service, or something similar. If so, the next question is, did that posting to the UK entail the US gov't paying for the transportation of your household goods and vehicle(s) from the States to the UK? And if that's the case, again based on decades-old experience, have you looked into whether owning and operating that transported vehicle (in this case, the Stelvio) is covered by the Status Of Forces Agreement (SOFA) which applies to military personnel, or perhaps another agreement if your service is thru another federal Agency or Department? My experience was that, back in the day, the SOFA allowed Army personnel to bring personally owned vehicles (POVs) from the USA to Europe (for me it was W. Germany) and not have to change anything about the vehicle to meet any local requirements. At that time the Army issued black on white USA plates to install. When I was in W. Germany, I had brought my Mazda 626 and my HD Sportster 883, and didn't have to do anything other than get the USA plates for them.

Again, all of the above is decades old and may have been scrapped years ago, or may not apply to your specific set of circumstances. But maybe it does!

Hi Mike,

You mentioned, "And, they ship to APO address."

It's been a few decades, but APO used to mean "Army Post Office" and that was generally how the US Postal Service would serve US Army personnel stationed overseas, the main features being keeping the cost to mail something from the USA to the APO in the far-off foreign county the same as it would be to mail it within the States.

Being able to receive items thru an APO leads me to ask, if you or your spouse is in the UK as the result of being stationed there for military service, diplomatic service, or something similar. If so, the next question is, did that posting to the UK entail the US gov't paying for the transportation of your household goods and vehicle(s) from the States to the UK? And if that's the case, again based on decades-old experience, have you looked into whether owning and operating that transported vehicle (in this case, the Stelvio) is covered by the Status Of Forces Agreement (SOFA) which applies to military personnel, or perhaps another agreement if your service is thru another federal Agency or Department? My experience was that, back in the day, the SOFA allowed Army personnel to bring personally owned vehicles (POVs) from the USA to Europe (for me it was W. Germany) and not have to change anything about the vehicle to meet any local requirements. At that time the Army issued black on white USA plates to install. When I was in W. Germany, I had brought my Mazda 626 and my HD Sportster 883, and didn't have to do anything other than get the USA plates for them.

Again, all of the above is decades old and may have been scrapped years ago, or may not apply to your specific set of circumstances. But maybe it does!
Dan,
The UK SOFA states that the vehicles we bring in must conform to their “stafety” standards… meaning the clear side lights, amber turn signals (indicators) in the rear and rear fog lights. The Alfa has an amber lens behind a clear lens upfront and rear fog lights. All I need are the headlights aimed and the rear lights to operate properly.
I have tried everything to get this Alfa registered here but the UK is different.
Right now, I have the amber turn signals in the rear (£1300.00 Alfa lens). However, when I brake the amber illuminates and when I use the turn signal the brake light brakes blink too.
With the SGW module bypass, the dealer will now be able to recode the lights to include the headlights pointing the correct direction.
Can’t wait… I get looked at all the time driving with Florida plates. I see the police pull in behind me and use their radio then after a few minute they peel away. Maybe the find out I have an exception in for three months or they wouldn’t want to do the paperwork involved in pulling me over…lol
Light at the end of the tunnel.

Can’t speak for Germany. But from what I have heard it is much more restricted than before.

Mike

Mike

If that's true then every modern Alfa owner in the US should convert to Euro clusters and recode for proper amber turn signals.

Dan,
here in Germany it is still the way you describe.
There are a couple of US barracks around here. The personal drives US spec cars, even if they are Audis or BMWs, they have red turn signales etc.
What has changed is that they have regular german license plates now. I think this is so that they don't stand out.

The cars are still registered through US army channels though.
I guess it is different in Mike's case as he is trying to register his car through regular british channels.

Dan,
here in Germany it is still the way you describe.
There are a couple of US barracks around here. The personal drives US spec cars, even if they are Audis or BMWs, they have red turn signales etc.
What has changed is that they have regular german license plates now. I think this is so that they don't stand out.

The cars are still registered through US army channels though.
I guess it is different in Mike's case as he is trying to register his car through regular british channels.
Ulix,
Nope, I am going through base but this is the regulation for me to have the registration for the Alfa. Normally, I would only pay for the base inspection ($47.00) to check the clear side lights and amber, fog light in the rear.
However, due to my issues I have to do what’s called an IVA safety inspection for £200.00 including my light conversion (maybe £300.00 on top of the lens I purchased for £1300.00). The base inspection office (auto hobby shop) will not touch it.
Money, money, money.
I am going to keep this Alfa until the wheels fall off after all of this…lol
Wish me luck,
Mike

Back