Re-homogenize An Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Indeed, however, steel was produced all over Europe in the ’70s. British Steel was a major supplier but its use didn’t stop UK cars rusting just as fast as every other manufacturer during the time. There appears to be no direct evidence of where the steel came from...just conjecture and why Alfa Romeo only. The tabloid press over here during the time perpetuated a Russian Steel conspiracy against Lancia. The same was aimed at the Alfasud but in reality the issues where down to poor working practices, like injecting foam into box sections of non-galvanised box sections, for the Alfasud the steel came from Taranto in Italy.

Another discussion...

The inferior rust prone Russian steel belief is absurd. Steel (steel comes in a very long list of varieties. Steel that can be stamped into car body shapes must meet specific requirements regardless of where it is made) is made of iron ore, untreated it WILL rust regardless of where it came from. The rust-corrosion problems with ALL passenger cars from that era is directly due to lack of rust-corrosion treatment and technology related to rust-corrosion prevention. Rust-corrosion prevention was NOT a priority back then when these cars were made. Those who have taken these cars apart be they from Italy, Germany, USA, French, UK or ... rust much the same.

By injecting the steel is of Russian origin imposes racism and a product of Cold War propaganda to frame anything from Russia is inferior. This political ideology has also been applied to why FIAT is crap and not worthy.... and why this negativity has persisted to this day.

Bernice

The inferior rust prone Russian steel belief is absurd. Steel (steel comes in a very long list of varieties. Steel that can be stamped into car body shapes must meet specific requirements regardless of where it is made) is made of iron ore, untreated it WILL rust regardless of where it came from. The rust-corrosion problems with ALL passenger cars from that era is directly due to lack of rust-corrosion treatment and technology related to rust-corrosion prevention. Rust-corrosion prevention was NOT a priority back then when these cars were made. Those who have taken these cars apart be they from Italy, Germany, USA, French, UK or ... rust much the same.

By injecting the steel is of Russian origin imposes racism and a product of Cold War propaganda to frame anything from Russia is inferior. This political ideology has also been applied to why FIAT is crap and not worthy.... and why this negativity has persisted to this day.

Bernice
Racism? 🤡🤡 .
"Product of Cold War propaganda to frame anything from Russia is inferior."
I guess you don't have any friends or relatives that are Russian and never went behind the Iron Curtain.

Racism? 🤡🤡 .
"Product of Cold War propaganda to frame anything from Russia is inferior."
I guess you don't have any friends or relatives that are Russian and never went behind the Iron Curtain.
This will be threading into an area far beyond this discussion and more.. Hired a guy that escaped from the Iron curtain decades ago.. Know a LOT more about what goes on than should be or could be share here. After that, spent a few years study this topic as it was very interesting in many ways.

As for the Western perceived inferiority of places behind the Iron curtain.. Study what happened to Carl Zeiss, when it was split up between Zeiss Jena -vs- West German Zeiss and what happened after unification..

Stopping here, with no further discussion or replies related to anything Iron Curtain and related.

Bernice

I had a Chevy van (made in Canada) 10-15 years ago. It was a rusty crap car so it must have been made of Russian steel. And the crappy gearbox gave up two times so it must have been made in North Korea 😆. Maybe not, but for sure quality between different steel differs and of course the "Swedish steel bites best" as we say here.

Is there a UK Alfa forum?
Usually there are some members that know their way around the electronics with a laptop to do things like what bjwhite describes above.
If someone says he knows how to recode it, just pay him to do it.

On my more modern cars, such individuals can do way more than the average dealer shop can do.
In a manner of a UK Alfa Stelvio forum. They have been helpful but no one I call will touch it. They say only the dealer can do that.
Thank you,
Mike

How I do appreciate the side bar discussions about where steel was made and their ability to rust, that really doesn’t assist me in solving an issue that will cost me dearly and a car I really enjoy. The Stelvio is a wonderful automobile and a blast to drive. I have had no issues with it except this and this issue has nothing to do with the vehicle itself. This is more of an Alfa Romeo customer support issue.
So, please, let’s keep the discussion polite and respectful and on topic.
At least until I have her sorted out then the floor is all yours…lol
Thank you,
Michael

How I do appreciate the side bar discussions about where steel was made and their ability to rust, that really doesn’t assist me in solving an issue that will cost me dearly and a car I really enjoy. The Stelvio is a wonderful automobile and a blast to drive. I have had no issues with it except this and this issue has nothing to do with the vehicle itself. This is more of an Alfa Romeo customer support issue.
So, please, let’s keep the discussion polite and respectful and on topic.
At least until I have her sorted out then the floor is all yours…lol
Thank you,
Michael
Check with the Giulia forums. I’m sure it’s the same system. Post a question on the US forum too. There are a lot of members from non US locations.

They say only the dealer can do that.
That's highly likely going by the info on the MultiEcuScan page:

http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx

This mentions a "security gateway" on the Stelvio that is dealer only.

I've used MultiEcuScan on far earlier FIATs (mid 00s era) and it's fine, but that was few years back now and I've forgotten the correct terminology, but any serious configuration requires the factory "authorization code" that is *only* available from a central registration base (in the UK at least) - you can get the code by going to a dealer with your vehicle registration documents and *they* can access the info online for a fee (around £15 back then) - you then get a print out of main auth code plus radio etc - it's the same info they need when coding new keys etc.

Sorry not much help - did you speak to Jamie Porter ? Perhaps your only option is another main dealer - sadly some are more helpful than others.

That's highly likely going by the info on the MultiEcuScan page:

http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx

This mentions a "security gateway" on the Stelvio that is dealer only.

I've used MultiEcuScan on far earlier FIATs (mid 00s era) and it's fine, but that was few years back now and I've forgotten the correct terminology, but any serious configuration requires the factory "authorization code" that is *only* available from a central registration base (in the UK at least) - you can get the code by going to a dealer with your vehicle registration documents and *they* can access the info online for a fee (around £15 back then) - you then get a print out of main auth code plus radio etc - it's the same info they need when coding new keys etc.

Sorry not much help - did you speak to Jamie Porter ? Perhaps your only option is another main dealer - sadly some are more helpful than others.
That is great information… thank you. Jamie was wonderful to talk to. If I can’t get Alfa send the correct file to the dealer he will try to spoof the system into believing it is within parameters. He was great and has a way ahead for me if the dealer doesn’t work out.
Michael

How do you “recode” lights? I really need this in a couple of days or the Alfa will have to go into storage.
Mike

On VWAG products, one can use an amazing product called VAG-COM, and I have one. You can code all sorts of things--windows up/down via the remote, fogs stay on with high beams, change region to get 24h clock (modern Audis this can be changed without recoding), tons of things. I'm not sure why the Alfa dealer won't just do this for you, even for a fee.

My process was here in this thread, standing on the shoulders of many before me.

On VWAG products, one can use an amazing product called VAG-COM, and I have one. You can code all sorts of things--windows up/down via the remote, fogs stay on with high beams, change region to get 24h clock (modern Audis this can be changed without recoding), tons of things. I'm not sure why the Alfa dealer won't just do this for you, even for a fee.

My process was here in this thread, standing on the shoulders of many before me.

Well, I thought you were in to something. It isn’t VAG-COM but multicuscan. Then this warning came up;
** Important - 2018+ model year coverage: **
Please note - some vehicles from the 2018 model year onwards (sold since mid-2017) have a "security gateway" module (SGW). The SGW module blocks any diagnostic tool from executing commands on the vehicle (e.g. actuations, procedures and even clearing of DTCs). It is currently not possible to access these vehicles with anything other than FIAT group's dealership tools, without modifying the vehicle.
Vehicles known to be affected so far include MY2018 500X/Renegade, 500L MCA, Doblo, Giulia/Stelvio.

My Alfa is a 2019 Stelvio… so close!!!
Mike

Well, I thought you were in to something. It isn’t VAG-COM but multicuscan. Then this warning came up;
** Important - 2018+ model year coverage: **
Please note - some vehicles from the 2018 model year onwards (sold since mid-2017) have a "security gateway" module (SGW). The SGW module blocks any diagnostic tool from executing commands on the vehicle (e.g. actuations, procedures and even clearing of DTCs). It is currently not possible to access these vehicles with anything other than FIAT group's dealership tools, without modifying the vehicle.
Vehicles known to be affected so far include MY2018 500X/Renegade, 500L MCA, Doblo, Giulia/Stelvio.

My Alfa is a 2019 Stelvio… so close!!!
Mike
Yeah, again. Not sure why the Alfa dealer wouldn't just do this for you.

Since 1969 turn signals have to be amber over here,
German car makers are going through great lengths to make the turn signals switchable to red for the US market.
Whatˋs up with that? Is red currently required in the US?
The article doesnˋt mention that.

Since 1969 turn signals have to be amber over here,
German car makers are going through great lengths to make the turn signals switchable to red for the US market.
Whatˋs up with that? Is red currently required in the US?
The article doesnˋt mention that.
No, red rear turn signals are common here, but not required. My 500e has amber turn signals all around.

Right. It's more that red is allowed here and shouldn't be. It's also that it doesn't have to be separate from the brake light. So you can have a single red light that is the tail light, brake light AND turn signal. So, so dumb.

and the other half of the problem, is that some carmakers, especially European car makers, tend to go out of their way to make the turn signal red and combine it with the brake light. The long held suspicion, is that it makes the cars harder to export from the United States into other countries that may require Amber turn signals. Otherwise I can't see why they go out of their way to screw up the tail lights of North American bound cars.

Yeah, again. Not sure why the Alfa dealer wouldn't just do this for you.
The Alfa dealer said they were locked out of changing the region code. That doesn’t make sense to me but after six hours of waiting I didn’t want to argue.
I don’t know what is happening. I am going to have to put it in storage soon if this doesn’t get sorted.
What a waste of money if I have to. And, probably the last FCA/Stelantis product I ever purchase.
I thought that if I brought a European automobile to Europe made sense. I am starting to regret that decision now.
Thanks for trying. I can’t believe that it is this hard.
Mike

Back