re-key, or just buy new handles/locks.

tvmaster

True Classic
And we continue. The ‘74 had a problem with door locks. Previous owner replaced ONE door handle/lock, and left the two originals, so now I’ve got TWO keys for three locks. And the glove box? Not even sure the lock still works.

I found an online dealer, Mr Fiat, who sells new, three-piece sets (not sure who makes them, or their quality).
Also talked to my local locksmith who THINKS he can re-key all three to match, but of course, he has to get access inside the doors, maybe even wants the handles removed to work on. Minimum $65 per, maximum $200 per.

So, three choices: leave as is with two keys, buy new handles, or re-key the old ones.
Opinions on things like cost, headaches, functionality are wanted....thanks.

If you can get the cylinders out, most pin tumbler locks are pretty easy to rekey. I have never tried a car lock but have done many building locks. Just use the same tumblers in the same sequence in all three locks and cut a key to fit (you can use a file). My guess is that if you remove the cylinders yourself (I have not tried this on the X), the locksmith is likely to charge much less as it should only take him a few minutes to change the tumblers and cut new keys. Or, you could make a "bump key" (look it up) and be able to open all Fiat locks and recognize how insecure most pin tumbler locks are.

If you can get the cylinders out, most pin tumbler locks are pretty easy to rekey. I have never tried a car lock but have done many building locks. Just use the same tumblers in the same sequence in all three locks and cut a key to fit (you can use a file). My guess is that if you remove the cylinders yourself (I have not tried this on the X), the locksmith is likely to charge much less as it should only take him a few minutes to change the tumblers and cut new keys. Or, you could make a "bump key" (look it up) and be able to open all Fiat locks and recognize how insecure most pin tumbler locks are.
Ok, I’ll look up if I can remove the cylinders, but I imagine this involves a fair amount of door tear-down? Have you any experience with Mr. Fiat? Buying all new handles isn’t much more $$ than re-keying, and you get three new handles/locks. Not sure how difficult they are to install though.

Last edited:
Here is some info on removing the locks and rekeying them:

And when you attempt to remove the rod from the door locks it will likely break off the plastic end. So look here:

When you say you have two keys for three locks, do you mean drivers door lock, passenger door lock, and engine cover/trunk lock? If so, are the door locks and engine cover/trunk lock interchangeable? Would using the two matching locks for the doors and the odd one for the engine cover/trunk lock be a acceptable solution?

When you say you have two keys for three locks, do you mean drivers door lock, passenger door lock, and engine cover/trunk lock? If so, are the door locks and engine cover/trunk lock interchangeable? Would using the two matching locks for the doors and the odd one for the engine cover/trunk lock be a acceptable solution?
One key for ignition.
One key for passenger door, glove box and trunks.
One key for driver’s door.

I re-keyed my 1977 VW Rabbit way back in the day. The key was symmetrical and the lock was basically a barrel with slotted, spring loaded wedges that the key would press against and, once inserted, align all the pins with the barrel which could then turn.

I ended up going to the auto junkyard (like today's pick-n-pull) and getting a bunch of locks for extra pins, pulling them apart and cleaning them and getting them all to work with the same key. Pretty much what @dllubin said.

Is the X1/9 similar? Guessing so as it is from the same era.

Keep in mind the X comes with a different key for the ignition than the doors, etc. So the best you can do is have two keys. I've never liked that feature, wish they had made the ignition key the same as the doors like on most cars.

Keep in mind the X comes with a different key for the ignition than the doors, etc. So the best you can do is have two keys. I've never liked that feature, wish they had made the ignition key the same as the doors like on most cars.
Yup, two would be fine. Three is pushing it, and four (gas cap) is a big no-candoo

It's an era thing and an Italian thing. My Alfa Spider has a key for the door/glovebox/trunk/fuel and a key for the ignition. My Ferrari 400i has a key for the door/glovebox and a key for the ignition. My Lancia Beta had a key for the doors/glovebox, and one for the ignition. My Alfetta GTV, same thing.

I don't mind that. What I do mind is what the OP is posting about--having a key for the left door and a different key for the right door.

But by the late 80s early 90s the Italians were using the same key, German style. My 88 Milano Verde, my 91 Lancia Thema, my 92 Ferrari 348--all are single key for ignition and doors.

My first X1/9 was a used 1974. For whatever reason, the dealer did not have the door keys. The salesman told me to take the car down to a locksmith on 16th street to get new keys. The dealer had account there and just tell them Charlie sent me and it would be no charge to me.

So, I drove right down there. The shop had been in business forever and the inside looked like it. More antique store than shop.

Anyway, after explaining who sent me and what I needed, the man behind the counter grabbed some Fiat key blanks and a file. We walk out to the X and within just a few minutes, he had a working door key. He did this by inserting a blank key into the lock and then working it to see the marks on the blank and filing away. He then went inside to the key machine and put the finishing touches on the blank. Walked back to the Fiat and checked his work. Which worked first time.

Took all of about five minutes!

My first X1/9 was a used 1974. For whatever reason, the dealer did not have the door keys. The salesman told me to take the car down to a locksmith on 16th street to get new keys. The dealer had account there and just tell them Charlie sent me and it would be no charge to me.

So, I drove right down there. The shop had been in business forever and the inside looked like it. More antique store than shop.

Anyway, after explaining who sent me and what I needed, the man behind the counter grabbed some Fiat key blanks and a file. We walk out to the X and within just a few minutes, he had a working door key. He did this by inserting a blank key into the lock and then working it to see the marks on the blank and filing away. He then went inside to the key machine and put the finishing touches on the blank. Walked back to the Fiat and checked his work. Which worked first time.

craftsmanship of an era gone past...cool story though :)

I needed spare keys for my Scorpion so I went to the local locksmith. They had a large stock of key blanks for it hanging on the wall. 👍I was shocked, I was sure that they would have to be ordered. My guess - they still have a bunch of key blanks that fit a Scorpion. :)

Back