Re-post of US style early bumper bracket kits

rturchan

Baja Bob
Since Doug posted the fabulous bumper brackets for the early Euro bumpers ( I am going to buy a set, see them here: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/19361/ ) I thought I would re-post the US style bracket drawings for anyone that is interested in making these for the US bumpers. Personally I like the US bumpers up front and the Euro ones in the rear. The new style is without question better for crashing, but who cares. It seems my original post is deleted . I made these of Chromoly steel and powder coated them. Bonus is a thirty pound weight saving. Sold several sets about two years ago. I am not making any more but you can with these instructions or a local fab shop should be up to it. Here are pictures and instructions.
IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Drawings to manufacture your own
RearBrkt.png

frontbrkt.png

Instructions I included with the kits I made:

Early Bumper Conversion Bracket Kit
Used to install 1974 bumpers onto a 1975 thru 1987 Fiat X1/9

I realize you probably won't read any of this, as the process is pretty simple, but I figured I should write up something just in case.

The bumper brackets allow installation of the 1974 USA bumpers onto any later model USA X 1/9. The conversion is best done in coordination with paintwork, as there will be many holes left by the late model bumper rubber covers which can be welded up and painted at this time. The early models (75-78) can be done cleanly with only a few holes to weld and paint or plug.

Potential Weight savings are as follows:
OLD(79-88) New ('74)
Front bumper+bumper shocks+ plastic body end pieces 24.2lb 8.4 lb
Front grill, spoiler, upper cover 4.5 lb 4.3
Total front 28.7 lb 12.7 lb
Savings Front 16 lbs

Rear bumper+ shocks +top& end covers on body 23.5 8.4
Savings Rear 15.1 lbs

Included parts:
Four bumper brackets
Drill Template
Manufacturer drawings

Items needed:
4 bumper snubbers
4 corner metal bumpers
nuts and bolts to attach bumpers and snubbers
Nylon washers ( between bumper and body )
'75-'78 front grille
'74-'78 front spoiler metal O.E or fiberglass ( Midwest/ Bayless)
Early headlamp fillers (approx 1.25 X 6 inch)
Early park lamps or '93 Mazda RX7 lamps

Tools needed:
3/8 drill bit and drill
various metric hand tools

If you plan to do paintwork you should make all of the modifications and pre fit everything once before sending the car back to get the body and paintwork done.

Step 1
Remove bumpers , bumper shocks and side covers. The right front shock bolt is not accessible without pulling or lowering the radiator. A 22 mm open end or ratchet is required for the bumper shock bolts.
Repair and paint the 1974 metal bumpers and snubbers as needed.

Step 2
Cut out the drill template and mark all fenders to accept the bumper bolts. The template has two markings, one for the front and the other for the rear. Using the side marker lamp as a guide place the template over the side marker lamp and mark the fender for drilling. Start with a smaller drill to get correct alignment and then proceed to 3/8 diameter drill. Clean up sharp edges and apply paint or primer as available.

Step 3
Install the front grille prior to assembly. For the late single bar bumper you will need to cut the old brackets off and weld install new tabs to fasten the top of the grille. You could rivet and seal the tabs if desired. If you have A/C you will need to modify the condenser to clear the grill. On my condenser I re-bent the pipes on the right side and re soldered as needed. You could clearance the grill as a last resort.

Lubricate the bumper bracket tubing liberally with motor oil. Light oil like WD 40 is too light and you may find that you are struggling to get the tubing inserted. The rubber caps that held the old bumper shocks in place are reused in this installation. The rubber caps are the primary positioning device for the bumpers and must be retained. Don't cut or reduce the rubber cap ( to allow easy insertion of the bracket) as this will prevent it from holding the bumper in correct alignment.

Step 4
Attach the bumper snubbers and loosely attach the metal bumper corners to the bumper bracket and insert the bumper bracket far enough to insert the retaining bolt. Next bolt the corner bumper to the fender using either a rubber or nylon washer/spacer to prevent damage to the painted fender. Make sure the snubbers are exactly vertical and then tighten the bumper retaining bolt. Next tighten the corner bumpers and then tighten to the fender bolt. Repeat for three more bumpers.

Any questions email me at turchan*gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't surprise me...

On my '74 you have to remove the radiator to get to all 6 of the front bumper bolts. :sigh:

On most cars....

You have to remove the radiator to get at the right front shock bolt? :dead:

You do not have to "remove" the radiator, simply move it a bit. Remove the lower radiator mounting bracket bolt on the side you are working on, wiggle the radiator down a bit, get the bumper bolts out, reposition radiator. Repeat for other side.

Pete

On my '74 you have to remove the radiator to get to all 6 of the front bumper bolts. :sigh:

Don't have to remove it, just lower it an inch or so.

That doesn't save as much work as you might think though, because by far the worst part of the '74-'78 radiator job is the last inch or so of reinstallation - and that's the part that you're stuck with as soon as you've lowered the rad.

I am looking to be building something like these this winter and have the ability to produce them for anyone that wants them. I am working on reproducing the valve shim tool now and the bumper brackets will be next.
Let me know if you are interested in a set.

Brian

Back