Rear ball joints

Chris in Canada

True Classic
just wondering what the average life expectancy of the rear ball joints are? I know there are a crap load of variables to factor in,just wondering on average! I have a BRAND NEW OE control arm/ball joint assembly, and a nice clean one I fitted a good used ball joint in. Just wondering if I should hold on to them!!! Will probably need them as soon as I sold them though!!Murphy’s law!!

just wondering what the average life expectancy of the rear ball joints are? I know there are a crap load of variables to factor in,just wondering on average! I have a BRAND NEW OE control arm/ball joint assembly, and a nice clean one I fitted a good used ball joint in. Just wondering if I should hold on to them!!! Will probably need them as soon as I sold them though!!Murphy’s law!!

I'll buy them from you! :) - the balljoints seem to last a long time. I have the original ones on my X/19, at 186,000 kms now. The driver side is quite good - no play, the passenger side has no play - but is easy to move around, most likely indicating that it's nearing the end of its useful life. I'd imagine that they can be rebuilt by epoxy injection (I haven't found anyone in Canada who does that though). The balljoint rides on plastic inside, lubricated.

If the boot rips, grease leaks out - and fails early. But if the boot is in good shape, try to miss Toronto potholes - then they should last a long time :)

FYI - The left side control arm on the later cars are slightly different to clear the 5spd transmission. Since you have a 5spd conversion, make sure you have that control arm on the left side (it's got a folded section on the upper side of the arm)

Agree with Myron, they seem to last a surprisingly long time. Especially considering the weight and loads on the rear. But they don't have the steering/front suspension abuse of front ball joints, so maybe that helps. I have no idea of average mileage/lifespan data. Just that they don't seem to need replacement very often given the age of these cars. I suppose your location (weather and road conditions) and driving style will have some influence as well, as he also said.

I'll buy them from you! :) - the balljoints seem to last a long time. I have the original ones on my X/19, at 186,000 kms now. The driver side is quite good - no play, the passenger side has no play - but is easy to move around, most likely indicating that it's nearing the end of its useful life. I'd imagine that they can be rebuilt by epoxy injection (I haven't found anyone in Canada who does that though). The balljoint rides on plastic inside, lubricated.

If the boot rips, grease leaks out - and fails early. But if the boot is in good shape, try to miss Toronto potholes - then they should last a long time :)

FYI - The left side control arm on the later cars are slightly different to clear the 5spd transmission. Since you have a 5spd conversion, make sure you have that control arm on the left side (it's got a folded section on the upper side of the arm)
We used a “rebuilt”(injected) ball joint on a checker marathon they restored at the dealer I was working at. After the customer spent I think, 12k, the ball joint let go and the owner rolled it!! Wrote it off!! Don’t think i’ll Be using any rebuilt ball joints!!! Mine seem fine and I did replicate the indent to clear the tranny with my 4spd control arm! I thought I might need them that’s why I grabbed them, but when I had them out I realized how clean and solid the arms/joints were! I will probably keep them “just in case”!!!

How exactly is yours "rebuilt"? I am currently in this predicament now as one of mine was ruined and still in use. I'll be buying a used rear left LCA to replace it as they arent serviceable really.

I agree that the method of injecting something like urethane into a old worn joint isn't a good solution. It has been done for years but I've heard a lot of mixed results. Picture the rough, uneven, out of round, worn ball (inside the joint) moving around in the formed (injected) plastic that was molded to fit one position of that deformed ball. It will grind away the plastic in short time. Not to mention the injected material does nothing for the worn metal outer socket, where the ball could actually become totally displaced (separated from the joint). Perhaps if you do not intend to actually drive the car (ie. a "show only" restored vehicle), and there are no other options available, then sure. But for normal street use I would not do it to my vehicles. A less worn used joint is better than a injected bad joint.

The other option for rebuilding a ball joint, by using a new ball and/or other components (either newly manufactured or from another application), would be a better approach to reviving a worn out BJ.

How exactly is yours "rebuilt"? I am currently in this predicament now as one of mine was ruined and still in use. I'll be buying a used rear left LCA to replace it as they arent serviceable really.
I parted out an ‘81(motor and tranny now in my’78!!!) and took EVERTHING from it! The ball joints were good, but the arms were crusty. I bought the brand new one and a mint metal with sloppy joint one from the same guy. I just drilled out the rivets and swapped them and bolted it in with grade 8 bolts. I saw ball joints for 179 euro at x19 parts holland.

Back