Rear coolant hoses, upper and lower.

Bia

True Classic
Just wondering if anyone knows of a place to buy the upper and lower moulded coolant hoses north of the boarder? know that Midwest has them, but by the time I do the conversion and add delivery it becomes pretty pricey. I saw one on eBay that was pretty close by, but when I called them they told me that it wouldn't fit ( even though it said on eBay that it would fit the "X").
Any help would be appreciated.

If you are referring to the small diameter hoses that connect the T-stat housing to the overflow tank, then you can use other hoses than ones specified for the X. There was a discussion on this in the past. Members had identified standard part numbers for Gates or other brands of hoses that have the right diameters and bends to work. Not exact perfect factory fit, but work great. So it may depend on what level of build you are going for. I don't recall the actual part numbers for them, hopefully a search can bring it up for you.

If you are referring to the small diameter hoses that connect the T-stat housing to the overflow tank, then you can use other hoses than ones specified for the X. There was a discussion on this in the past. Members had identified standard part numbers for Gates or other brands of hoses that have the right diameters and bends to work. Not exact perfect factory fit, but work great. So it may depend on what level of build you are going for. I don't recall the actual part numbers for them, hopefully a search can bring it up for you.
I'm actually looking for the larger diameter hoses that run from the motor to the pipe.

I have the Mackay (sp?) hoses that MWB sells - I replaced them a couple years ago, so maybe a few thousand miles on them, if that.

I can send them for whatever shipping costs, I don't need them anymore. Or is just the mail to Canada too crazy?

I have the Mackay (sp?) hoses that MWB sells - I replaced them a couple years ago, so maybe a few thousand miles on them, if that.

I can send them for whatever shipping costs, I don't need them anymore. Or is just the mail to Canada too crazy?
Looking for Joe,
I would interest in finding out how much it would cost to ship.
Thanks

Ebay and Amazon sell a full silicone set for like $60 🤷‍♂️
Really, I looked on eBay and didn't see any sets specific to the X. They might be on the US site and therefore may not ship to Canada.
A big thanks to Hussein for helping me out!

Ebay and Amazon sell a full silicone set for like $60
I've looked at those silicone hose sets. I vaguely recall a long time ago they were discussed, a couple of our members have them? I don't believe there were any issues reported for their fit or quality?

They are offered in a couple of colors, so black might not be too obvious if someone wanted to retain a fairly stockish appearance. For my X's the locations of the coolant overflow, heater connections and under car coolant pipes have all been altered, so any "stock" shaped/configured hoses won't really work. Otherwise I'd certainly get them.

I would not assume silicone is better. I bought expensive silicone hoses from a reputable Swedish company for my C30, and this is what happened within 2 years. Of course, warranty is one year only. I was a bugger to find the leak, as it didn't rupture, just delaminated & seeped out the ends. I kept smelling coolant & couldn't find the source. Took many months before it was bad enough to visibly crust. I went back to the stock Volvo hoses, which last over 100K anyway, so not sure why I bothered in the first palce :D

The Australian MacKay (SP?) brand (assuming that's whta MWB still carries) are very good quality - definitely comparable to OEM Volvo hoses back in the 80's-90's when I worked at Volvo (I don't know who is/was the manufacturer for them back then).

IMG-20191120-162711.jpg

IMG-20191120-162714.jpg

Depending on the silicon compound used, silicon hose compounds can have high water permeation rate and tends to seep coolant over time. This has become an issue with 18 wheeler trucks and more. High quality EPDM based coolant hoses can work and last better than low cost inferior compound silicon coolant hoses. Consider how often to OEM coolant hoses fail today?

Bernice

The last coolant hose I had burst was in 1989 Which was a 5 year old OE hose on a VW. Since then not a one and I have some old pretty old hoses on some of my cars. I do keep a good eye on them but as Bernice said modern hoses are pretty dang reliable.

The last coolant hose I had burst was in 1989 Which was a 5 year old OE hose on a VW. Since then not a one and I have some old pretty old hoses on some of my cars. I do keep a good eye on them but as Bernice said modern hoses are pretty dang reliable.
Good point. I've only had one hose failure in all my years of owning countless vehicles. And that was a small heater hose with close to 200,000 miles and 15 years on it. Since I had to change that hose, I decided to change all of the them regardless if they needed it or not. :p To make things more interesting, in those days I was too busy to pay attention to proper regular servicing. So the cooling system had not been serviced in all that time either. :rolleyes: Naturally that wasn't a Italian car though. o_O

Back