Rear panel, expert opinion needed.

NM850

True Classic
On a 71 850 Spider what is the proper badge between the tail lights? And is it mounted to the actual rear panel or some other trim panel? My 68 has a ribbed aluminum panel between the tail lights, I don't think later cars had that.

On a 71 850 Spider what is the proper badge between the tail lights?

For all USA 1970-73 850 Spiders, the rear badge is this one:

s-l300.jpg

And is it mounted to the actual rear panel or some other trim panel? My 68 has a ribbed aluminum panel between the tail lights, I don't think later cars had that.

It's mounted in the center of a steel trim panel fitted onto the main body panel, between the taillights (similar to the '66-mid'68 ribbed-alloy or mid'68-'69 flat steel taillight panel). The '70-'73 trim panel is shorter than the earlier models, in order to accommodate the larger (wider) late-model taillights (now with a Reverse/Back-Up light incorporated into the inboard end of each lamp assembly). It also features a thin chrome strip running the full width of the upper & lower surfaces of the trim panel. This panel is normally factory-painted the same color as the car body.

Here's an eBay example of the late taillight trim panel, with correct rear emblem mounted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191898423508

s-l1600.jpg

Back