Rear trunk support post failing.

79X19

True Classic
Anyone encounter a failing trunk support mechanism? The post that’s on the underside of the trunk lid (Boot) is very loose to the point of wiggling and binding. When I open the trunk lid it snaps very loudly. I have broken multiple Cotter pins as a result of this failure. Anyone have an alternate way of supporting the trunk lid?
The pin it very loose and goes In and out like it’s not secured.

Attachments

• 7BBABC69-8DA4-415C-A509-2A58CC1C7940.jpeg
    7BBABC69-8DA4-415C-A509-2A58CC1C7940.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 64
Be glad your cable release works. Go to the hardware store and buy 3 feet of 3/16"or 5mm round wooden dowel and cut it to length to hold the engine lid fully open. Store the dowel in the heated trunk.

I think(?) the issue here is about the support after the lid is open, like this:

12250.jpg

These do fail. Lots of reasons for it. But all of the parts are available as new replacements. Or you can upgrade to gas struts, more like on modern cars. Either make the mounts yourself or buy them from some of the Fiat vendors.

Sorry, so you are saying the pin sticking out of the bottom of the trunk lid is loose? Can it be rewelded in place?

As an alternative a number of folks have used a pneumatic cylinder acting on one side of the lid to hold it open. This has been done for all three lids.

This thread has many of the BOX threads in it:

I think I have a version of some of these in PDF form on my computer, I will try to get them together later today.

Back